Help ! FTE issues.

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Yellowsupersport, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    My TRP is coming up on 4,000 flawless rounds, and today I get 3 FTE’s in 25 rounds (see photos). In all cases it was the last round of the magazine (Springer OEM stainless 7-rounder that came with the pistol). Before I start pulling things apart, any thoughts as to the cause ?

IMG_5496.jpg IMG_5497.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xerts1191 likes this.
  2. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    What is all the "yellowish" grit all over the gun....on top of grips, along thumb safety, on rear sight adjustment ...??? ( unburnt powder ?? )...

When was gun cleaned last ?

First thing ...after cleaning ...figuring out what that stuff is ....pull extractor ..clean the channel ...and check extractor tension ( it looks like extractor let the spent case drop into the gun after it was fired )...

azpoolguy and zipper046 like this.

3. stlgecko

stlgecko I’m just here for the 1911’s

May 24, 2014
    Have you taken the extractor out and cleaned it and the channel yet? 4000 rounds is quite a bit if not.

azpoolguy, ZoidMeister and WWB like this.
  4. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Looks like way to much old improper grease has dried up on it. Prolly needs a good full strip down cleaning, then ejector and extractor checked.

ZoidMeister and ORShooter like this.
  5. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    I would check the extractor tension and tunnel cleanliness. Also look at the extractor hook while you have it out make sure it’s not chipped ect.

6. Pangari1

Pangari1 -this space for rent- Supporting Addict

Dec 1, 2011
    First things first
    You say last round in mag and it sounds like same mag
    Have you switched to see if same happens with a different one?

While I agree, after that many rounds a good detail strip is in order, I would start with the magazine.

I have seen a mag create all kinds of problems when going through several different classes. They are the weakest link when it comes to good firearms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tac45 likes this.
  7. zipper046

zipper046 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2013
    i'm betting gunked up or broken extractor claw

8. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Last round ftf is usually the mag. I agree it needs cleaning and extractor tension checked. Never seen one that dirty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

9. Jimhoag

Jimhoag In Kentucky

Jun 14, 2013
    Looks mofe like fte

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

10. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    The extractor if tensioned and profiled correctly should eject round whether there is a magazine in place or not. Last round failure to eject IMO is more pointing towards the extractor then the magazine. If it was a last round FTF I would agree more with the magazine being the culprit.. Chances are the extractor has become lose or is damaged. But i have had this issue from the tunnel being extremely dirty as well.. View attachment 202839 E69B9651-AF88-4070-91AD-69839DB9669F.jpeg DFB33974-C5B9-4524-A1FC-F06A9014857E.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  11. BenchMonkey

BenchMonkey Angry Infidel

Nov 28, 2018
    That's not powder, methinks its brass. Not to say there isn't plenty of schmutz elsewhere. Alot of discoloration, judging by the pics, if it is compleatly around case a headspace issue and maybe too much crimp.

july19 likes this.
  12. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    I had same problem a few weeks ago with a SA RO .It did,nt look real dirty but I cleaned it .Pulled firing pin and extractor they both were dirty .Runs like it should now . I know some ammo is more dirty than other. good luck with yours.

13. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned

Oct 31, 2016
    You’ve got dirt in the Torx screws and trigger holes. Are you mimicking some YouTube “torture test”?

Clean that roscoe.

july19, BigJimP and ORShooter like this.
  14. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Correct. The slide not locking back or three point jams are more indicative of worn mags.

Most 1911s will extract without a magazine. They may not have perfect control of the brass but it will still extract and eject.

wrmiller likes this.
  15. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks all for the responses, you hit it on the head - the extractor had more more gunk under the claw and in the channel than my 2 year olds morning diaper ! Not feeling very proud of myself for letting it get to this point, I totally underestimated its affinity for muck, especially on a “dry / unlubricated part. It’s clean now and ready to get back to the range for function test. Again, thanks for all the input.

Regarding the other comments about the overall state of cleanliness :

- the weapon was field stripped, cleaned and lubed, and 25 rounds were put down the tube. After that I wiped it down and pulled a bore snake through, I do this before I leave the range. This was a week ago.

- no this is not a YouTube torture test :)

- really not sure what the orange / yellow particles are. Metallic ? Unburned powder looking weird under the camera flash ? They were not noticeable before shooting.

- the other dirt in the torx heads, trigger, hammer loop is just that - dirt. Combination of lint and skin particles I imagine. This is my carry weapon, so it’s inside my belt pretty much all day, every day. It’s worse in summer when it rides directly against my skin - I’ve already had to replace the inboard grip screws that were getting corroded. I wipe it down every evening but it’s a lint magnet ! Any suggestions here will be appreciated !

View attachment 202983 IMG_5500.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimhoag, 1911 dawg, WWB and 3 others like this.
  16. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
  17. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    And know you know and knowing is half the battle.

18. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Coat parts with Ballistol let it sit for a couple of hours and wipe down,this will neutralize body acids and protect metal from rust. It doesn’t attract lint or dirt

1911 dawg, BigJimP and BenchMonkey like this.
  19. 1911 dawg

1911 dawg Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Tac 45 is right Ballistol is good stuff . I like Kroil also.

tac45 likes this.
  20. ORShooter

ORShooter Just outsided the realm of Crazy!

Nov 28, 2018
    @tac45 is probably just pulling our leg! Me thinks he really uses shark oil but, doesn't want to let the secret out.:grin:

No wait, that's for hemorrhoids!:eek:

TheCollector and 1911 dawg like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted