HELP! Huge decision!

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by snwbrdr202, Nov 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. snwbrdr202

snwbrdr202 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Good morning, and Happy Friday gentleman! The addiction is calling me again! I have the option to purchase an Ed Brown Special Forces for 2K on the nose but was also looking at the possibility of purchasing another Baer around the same mark. I was under the impression that Brown's cost quite a bit more than 2K. My humble collection consists of a Baer UTC and Wesson Valor. I LOVE the feel of my UTC and personally I think it's special to have that break-in period to really get to know your gun. The problem I run into is that there are no shops around carrying Ed Brown firearms, so I can't simply go to my local gunshop and compare the two. My question is simply this: is 2K too good of a price for an Ed Brown Special Forces to pass up?! Should I take the "variety is the spice of life" approach and go for it? I know I won't be disappointed with the Baer, but I would love to love the Brown...if that makes sense. Any input or ideas would be much appreciated.

gps man and wcanterbury like this.
  2. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    $2k (Brown)... new, used?

3. snwbrdr202

Sep 21, 2011
    Brand new sir!

4. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Personally I’d go Baer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gumby and snwbrdr202 like this.
  5. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    Yeah Baer, without a second thought.

gumby, boatdoc, Dwe and 2 others like this.
  6. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    IMG_1620.jpg
    $2K new is a good price... You have a Baer.. and a DW.... why not a Brown?

Of course, I'm not a good influence... My name says it all. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    1L26, gps man, john_anch_ak and 3 others like this.
  7. Whiten

Whiten Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I would watch the Addicts classifieds for a pistol with some work. There has been a lot of great deals on used pistols. There was a Baer with Stan Chen work that sold for the 2k.

8. snwbrdr202

Sep 21, 2011
    Yes sir! I have seen a couple of steals on our forum, but I really like the intimacy of breaking in a gun...especially a Baer.

gumby, boatdoc, limbkiller and 2 others like this.
  9. Journeyman1234

Journeyman1234 Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2017
    It seems like you found a very good deal and if you really want to get that pistol, then get it. You can always sell it if you don't like it, and you would be getting it for a very good price.

Babboonbobo likes this.
  10. jaydoc

jaydoc i'm riding a turtle!

Aug 10, 2012
    I would get the Ed Brown. You will like it’s slightly different personality from the Baer. Both great guns though.

11. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Some one had been drinking the Kool-Aid.

12. snwbrdr202

Sep 21, 2011
    I’ll admit, it tastes good brother!

WC145, Mike Meints and azpoolguy like this.
  13. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    There is nothing "special" about a gun having issues for the first 500 round with the excuse being break in. That being said, I'd buy a Baer over a Brown any day.

ImperialBlade, KTXdm9, WC145 and 10 others like this.
  14. snwbrdr202

Sep 21, 2011
    I agree 100%. I guess I was lucky with my UTC at 500 rounds without hiccups. Let me specify that I like that it takes a solid effort to rack the slide of a new Baer, but I like it even more after you dial the pistol in with a few hundred rounds and get the “ball bearing” feel. Expensive no doubt but enjoyable! I guess I’m answering my own question :cool:

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  15. Mistman

Mistman Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2015
    If Uncle Joe say's Baer over Brown anyday, well, that's all I'd need to hear........

16. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    .Baers are tighter and seem to out shoot many other brands IMHO. @2k a Brown SF is a good deal but why so cheap? new ones are usually over 3 grand.
    hope you enjoy whatever you decide to buy

17. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
  18. snwbrdr202

Sep 21, 2011
  19. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Someday I would like to get a stainless brown just to try but otherwise I'd go Baer. If I lived in a free state and had $2k burning a hole in my pocket I would watch the classifieds here. You can get some really sweet pistolãs in that price range, lightly loved, from another member.

simonp likes this.
  20. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    If it was a SS commander size I would go with Brown (because I need one) otherwise you like Baer? Go with Baer

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted