Help! I need feline advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gary Wells, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    I have had a beautiful brother & sister set of Russian Blues for about 9 years now and we have all gotten along well. Until Now. The cats were gi ven to me by a neighbor who had to move and could not take any animals with her. They came with a really nice hooded cat box and both cats have used the same box. Until about a month ago. Dallas, the male used 1 corner and the female, Bella, used the corner diagonally across from Dallas' corner. Now, Bella uses the living room for bowel movements & the kitchen sink drain for urination. They are about maybe 17 years old now & showing some signs of old age. Female has lost her main 4 teeth. I became so upset that I took her to the Humane Society vet to have her euthanized and they told me that she was in such good health for her age that they would not euthanize her & that destruction of my living room is not a good enough reason. I am an old man and they are the only family that I have and I love both dearly and really don't want to put Bella down. Is there an alternative? Any help would be appreciated. & sorry in advance for the long post.

boatdoc likes this.
  2. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Can you separate them in the house? Share time between the open house and a separate room?

3. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Gary, this is a heartbreaker.
    Get several more cat boxes in several rooms?

4. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Shoot it in the head.

isialk likes this.
  5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Rule of thumb is to have at least as many litter boxes as you do cats, plus one more.

If you can, put a litter box where your cat seems to want to do his/her busines.

Also, if you have a hooded litter box, you really need to keep those super clean. The reason being that the hood will keep odors in, like an outhouse. Your cat may be repelled by the smell.

Finally, are you using the same litter that your cats are used to? Cats can be super finicky when it comes to litter. It's got to feel right under their paws, and not smell weird.

I hope that helps.

6. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Damn, LK, that's harsh.

7. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Many thanks to everybody for all of the responses & suggestions. They have been using the same litter and hooded box for all this time. I know that there is some jealousy between the 2 as when the female comes in too sleep with me the male won't, and he generally does. I will remove the lid and look for another litter . box. JHC&OMG, limbkiller, they are all of the family that I have left.

8. Kaboom

Kaboom Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    All of this is great advice and spot on. Also if the cat has a bowel movement in the same location in the living room you can buy a ‘scat mat’ that will cover the area. When the cat steps on it she will get a mild electric shock (equivalent to when to touch metal in the winter time in a low humidity environment). You can also put one in the kitchen sink too to deter inappropriate urination. They sell them on amazon.

9. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I had the same scenario with two 15 year old dogs. One was failing fast and the the other was not far behind it needing constant care. I asked the vet if it was wrong to want to put them down together. The vet knew they were best of pals far a lifelong unity and said if I put one down earlier I would only be back to do the other shortly and go through the agony again. So together they went as peaceful as could be with one on my lap and the other with my wife in the same room at the vets office. I have never regretted that decision and the vet assured us it was meant to be.
    Try the separate litter boxes as recommended here previously and if that doesn’t work I suggest you find another vet that fulfills your directive.

10. Gimpster

Gimpster Kevin G Supporting Addict

Apr 6, 2017
    I would definitely try the extra litter box idea. So they each have their own. But you might try the previous mentioned finding another vet idea if that's possible. The "Humane society" sounds like they aren't humane at all. Good luck

boatdoc and WC145 like this.
  11. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    Try setting up a second litter box near where she's doing her business.
    See if that helps.
    If not you can always take LK's advice. :p
    E.T.A.
    I see others have already suggested this.
    It should work since they already have jealousy issues.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  12. azguy1911

azguy1911 Screw it, I'm buying more 1911's

Oct 22, 2015
    Multiple litter boxes and problem will be solved, is my guess

Steve Owens and boatdoc like this.
  13. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    You're making me feel bad. If truth be known I actually did not have the balls myself to take the female and I had a friend take her. I am currently under home health care and can't drive. You definitely did the right & humane thing. I don;t think that i could do that.

DunRanull and boatdoc like this.
  14. Gary Wells

Gary Wells Active Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Many thanks again, everybody, I'm going to live through this thing and so are my bro & sis pair of cats,

KS95B40, boatdoc and FWoo45 like this.
  15. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Gary,

Feel your pain, had similar issues with a old-man Burmese.

You can try the Feliway spray, it’s supposed to help with calming cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatdoc likes this.
  16. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Perhaps consider deleting your post.
    Just a thought.

Stogies and boatdoc like this.
  17. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2013
    We have 2 litter boxes, one on top of the other

boatdoc likes this.
  18. 605atthe wheels

605atthe wheels In the staging lanes Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2012
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    Get a new cat, a kitten. It will totally mess up the social order and those behaviors should disappear.

limbkiller, boatdoc and Glanoril like this.
  20. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    We had same issue with male and female cat. New larger younger male bullies the older female until she would not use the litter box he used. Every time she tried he beat her up so now we have 3 litter boxes and we give her a break by letting her stay in our closed bedroom to get away from him every so often. He is not allowed in there and she can relax.
    Cats can be a-holes!!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted