!~HELP ~! Installing an ejector pin hole in a 1911 Springfield Frame

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Integrity Arms, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    This is to all you fine Gunsmiths out there. I could really use some pointers on "Drilling/Milling" an ejector pin hole in a Springfield frame.. I say drilling or milling, cause I am assuming that milling it would be the way to go. I know how to locate it, I am just wondering about tooling etc? Successes? Failures? I would really appreciate some pointers. I would think I would want to do the 5/64" that DW uses in their's knowing that at least would give me a touch more rigidity starting out.

Sneaky One likes this.

2. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    HaHa too funny. I do have to wonder why it seems that SA is one of the only Manufacturers that do not pin their ejectors. Fitting and even drilling if needed a new ejector to an existing hole, no worries, now trying to drill or mill a 1/16" hole all the way through the frame without breaking the bit.. Priceless..

boatdoc and FWoo45 like this.
  3. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I have a good plan to do it I think, but some heads up on the right tooling bit? Something in .060 with a decent LOC? to pilot the hole before drilling. I'll keep looking but so far the options have either been to short loc or too long of a shank which I think could result in too much run out for such a small hole.

4. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    I knew you could help thanks Steve.

5. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I would think that piloting the hole starting from the right hand frame side with the thickest amount of metal would more likely keep the boring bit more true and in line when it comes through to the left side nearest the forward anchor pin of the ejector.
    I am aware that the hole needs to be 50/50 to the forward edge of the front ejector pin hole.
    Good luck Steve.

Steve Owens likes this.
  6. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Steve , shame on you for not using your TTT catalog,
    Page 84271 - SA specific Ejector installation kit B

1937E8A7-56A7-41DA-B3E9-8596B43986CB.jpeg

FWoo45 likes this.
  7. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline Official Hi-Point Brand Representative

Nov 26, 2018
    Duct tape and a prayer?

tac45, FWoo45 and WHEELS like this.
  8. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    My method:
    Clamp the frame down on the LH side.
    Square up true to the frame rails.
    Insert a close fitting pin into the front leg hole.
    Locate and center over the forward edge of the pin.
    Remove gage pin, insert ejector using Loc-Tite 242.
    Center spindle in middle of groove.
    Spot hole with center drill.
    Drill through, carefully, with a 1/16" cobalt 135 degree split point drill.
    1200 rpm, .010" to .025" pecks, Tap Magic cutting fluid.

I don't believe there is room between the back wall of the mag well and the front wall of the disco hole for a 5/64" pin.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  9. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you @pistolwretch, I know that Dan Wesson uses a 5/64 pin, so wasn't sure if that was an option on a Springfield or not.. I Have a Center drill with a .046 end was hoping to end mill in with a .060 end mill about .100 or so in hopes to give the drill bit a pilot to guide through and keep out the wobble. The small drill bits sure like to do that lol.. Thank you for your insight into this. A pretty tedious project to say the least a broken drill bit in there would not be any fun at all.

So you go ahead and drill through the front ejector leg at the same time your drilling the hole for the pin correct?

FWoo45 likes this.
  10. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
  11. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    Honestly guys, I know some of you can't wait for the opportunity to make light, or throw out a joke, but this particular part of the forum can be a very useful tool for many who have a passion and desire for gunsmithing, and it would be nice if we could try and keep these threads a little more on the serious side, so some others might be able to benefit from the information for future use. Instead, of having to weed through a bunch of unhelpful rhetoric.. Thanks again Chuck.. Very precise and helpful information

Mike Meints, duketbrd88 and Capthobo like this.
  12. Wheels No More

Wheels No More Long gone

May 12, 2015
    tenor.gif

13. pistolwretch

Aug 26, 2011
    If 'serious' is your quest,
    let me suggest M1911.org.
    John runs a tight ship!

14. Integrity Arms

Mar 20, 2017
    I don't mind joking as much as the next guy, but there are some subjects where seriousness is a necessity. I've tried to get into the 1911 forum twice for months without being approved to post or have real access. Have never gotten the email to validate the member status.. Just would like to see this part and few other parts of the forum used for serious request you know. There are tons of other sub-forums for the funny, unusual, and ladies etc.. ;)

15. Jason Burton

Jason Burton Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2012
    Yup yup yup... best method to do this.

16. progun2

progun2 Active Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Fixture in your mill, center drill then drill, done. look at sensitive drill feed drill chuck sold by Little Machine Shop. A must have for small drill bits. Not saying that one but that type.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  17. boatdoc

boatdoc Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    does SA do anything right these days? I am beginning to think--NO

azpoolguy and Steve Owens like this.
  18. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    Have to admit it , I’m impressed

19. tac45

Mar 4, 2012
    Stevie, I understand your concerns ,if I didn’t like you,I wouldn’t pick on you.
    Keep striving for excellence in your chosen field .(and use your TTT catalog) :roflmaro:

Steve Owens, Kip and WHEELS like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted