Help, Kensight adjustable bomar replacement

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by Capthobo, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    I purchase this Kensight adjustable replacement sight to install on my Colt 5 inch government
    MarkIV series 80 in 9x23 Winchester.
    Problem: There are no internal threads on the sight for the elevation screw. Just a hole on the mount where the adjustment screw protrudes through.
    It looks as thought the slide needs to be drilled and threaded for the elevation click adjustable screw. The Kensight web page gives no information or instruction.
    Can any of our esteemed smiths here confirm that the slide needs to be drilled and tapped for this sight install?

http://stores.kensight.com/bomar-bmcs-1911-kensight-sight-white-dot-with-with-beveled-blade/

8ED19FB0-FEEC-471D-8178-EC2851987DF1.jpeg

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011

3. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Yes.
    6-48 tapped hole in the slide.

Capthobo likes this.
  4. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    Thank you @pistolwretch
    Much appreciated.
    Now with a closer view it appears as if the Kensight will overhang the rear of the slide too far and inhibit or obstruct clear access to the hammer.
    Bummer!
    F2CA73D9-57A7-4040-917E-C380EB074754.jpeg

5. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    On a typical, modern install the original dovetail is eliminated by the first cut.
    This mounts the sight low enough that a conventional height front sight is used.
    The new dovetail is located further forward so the sight blade is flush with the end of the slide.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Capthobo likes this.
  6. Capthobo

Nov 9, 2016
    Thank you again @pistolwretch
    My ultimate goal here is to raise the rear notch higher than the bomar blade is currently.
    This gun for unknown reason has a poi about 4 inches lower than poa at 30 ft. At first I thought it was maybe my hold so I put it on a rest and it still hits way low with same drop.
    Both sights are factory Colt original white dot sights. Front blade top is .170 high above rib and the blade center dot is .120 above the rib. So the front blade is already fairly low. The rear blade top is .220 above the rib and bottom notch is .150 above the rib.
    In an attempt to raise the rear I purchased the Kensight and hoped to bring the gun into better target hits with poi and poa the same.
    I am at a loss now as to find an adjustable that will fit in the standard original bomar dovetail.
    I think there used to be one made for the older GI guns converted at Springfield Armory for Government Camp Perry National Match guns but am unable to locate a new one of those.
    I may give this a try and see if is any better in its highest elevation adjustment.
    http://www.sightsinc.com/product/combat-carry-adjustable-rear-sight/
    0A6A0F40-46B9-406B-90EC-082DD7E4FE19.jpeg

7. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Think you are better off just having both front and rear sight dovetails cut into the slide.

Bender and Capthobo like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted