Help me pick a 3 Gun pistol

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Blue Ridge, May 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM.

1. Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge Addict's shoot addict Supporting Addict

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, I had my first 3 Gun match last Saturday. I was under-prepared to say the least but it was a learning experience. If I had it to do over, I'd go to a few matches and maybe RO one before going to the line unsure about what the heck I was doing. Everyone said the shotgun stages would make or break me on my first time, but the A5 did great. Of all things it was the pistol stages that I did poorly on. I used my BEC 9mm Colt 1911, and was shooting low all day. If there's one thing you don't want to do to make a metal popper fall, it's hit it low. I did pretty well with mag changes, but the experience definitely drove home that I need a double stack.

Which brings me to consider what pistol I should buy. Practically everyone out there had a tricked out G34 except for a few CZ Shadow 2's. I had the only single stack. If anyone used a caliber other than 9mm I didn't see it. So I'm guessing a double stack 9mm is the way to go, maybe just use a heavier bullet next time. I greatly prefer steel to polymer guns, but do see the upside to the Glock. Appreciate any thoughts and experiences.

1911KY likes this.
  2. ripdog28

ripdog28 Fondle his Baer

Nov 8, 2012
    G17 or 34 until your sure you love it and want to drop the money on a 2011. Your better off investing time in Shotgun reloads and long Range rifle shots than a $3k+ 2011. The time made up from a Glock to a 2011 is not noticeable except may be at the highest levels.

Or you can say F it and just get a bad @$$ 2011.

1911KY, Blue Ridge and dstallguy like this.

3. Bugs

Bugs Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 19, 2011
    Glock G34 with a little trigger work and better sights.

Blue Ridge likes this.
  4. WC145

WC145 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 1, 2013
    When I shoot 3 gun, I shoot in the Heavy Metal class and use a Springfield SOCOM EBR, one of my .45ACP 1911s, and a Mossberg 930SPX. I learned my '9mm on steel poppers' lesson years ago and I really enjoy shooting the .308, it wakes up all the guys shooting 5.56.:)

gun_fan111, FWoo45 and Blue Ridge like this.
  5. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    I might add that I already own a CZ75 with a Cajun trigger job which could probably get there with some modification. Stock sights and no magwell currently so might be cheaper to just buy a Glock by the time I got it back from a shop.

6. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    I like 147 gr bullets in my 9....never any issues on steel.

For a pistol, being a 1911 guy you will want a 2011. Depending on your budget, that will determine what you get. You have slightly worked over Rock Islands by Hayes Custom under $1500, SPS Pantera's around $1500, several STI models ranging from $1600 to $3k, CK Arms around $3k, then you jump into custom guns around $4k +like Atlas, Hayes Custom, Cheely Custom, Brazos Custom has tuned STI Edges for less, Akai Custom, Bunker did a 2011 recently, Chambers Custom may do them as well. I even think Lou at BEC would build you a 2011.

If you have the $$ for it, go with a steel grip. A lot of folks use Phoenix Trinity and EVO stuff.

A CK Arms in the $2800 range is a pretty good deal considering the parts list.

I run a SPS Pantera and have put at least $500 in upgrades into it. I should have just ponied up for a STI DVC or CK Arms.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 8:58 PM
  7. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    My SPS Pantera....comes in this, all black and SS with a black grip.....if you can find them....they are hard to acquire. Donnie at Stage Zero can usually get one in a reasonable time frame.

Add on's include DVC grip, STI long Trigger, Dawson Ice Magwell, Dawson mag catch and button, AFTEC extractor, Dawson extended firing pin, Wilson single sided safety and some cerakote on the small SS parts.
    IMG_20170922_131340_247.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 8:55 PM
  8. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    I started with a G34 loaded up with add on's.....but I could never shoot it like a 1911/2011.

Journeyman1234 and Blue Ridge like this.
  9. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    Check this out.....really not a bad way to go.

cwoods, livinthelife and Blue Ridge like this.
  10. BuckyP

BuckyP Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2011
    I run my limited gun, STI in .40. While the 9mm gets a couple more rounds, I’ve had better dealings with some heavy steel than some of the 9mm shooters.

1911KY and Blue Ridge like this.
  11. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    This is my concern. I'm familiar enough with the guns since I started out with Glocks when I got into handguns, but it wasn't until I had a 1911 in my hand that I felt like I could halfway shoot a pistol. Before selling off my polymer stuff, I spent a day at the range with a stack of paper targets and I shot 'em all to make sure I really did shoot the 1911 better. I did, and by a margin. Can't remember now if I tended to hit high or low with the G17s, 19 & 26, but it was an elevation issue for me, not windage. Of course, if I was shooting high with them, maybe I oughta give them another look!

Was secretly hoping you'd tell me the grip angle on the G34 was 1911-like and I didn't need an overpriced metal clunker but I'm 99% sure you're right and I'll just wind up shopping for (another) new gun if I go the Glock route. I'll start saving and hopefully can find something used. From talking to these folks Saturday, sure seems like everyone is upgrading their gear all the time. I was even in awe of the homemade gun buggies!

I'm sure part of it was me shooting low under pressure for whatever reason (even on my paper targets), but I would have loved to have had a .40 or .45 ACP in my range bag Saturday. Frustrating have to change an extra mag when you never even had a miss, just didn't hit the target high enough to drop it. I even did one thing no one in my team had ever seen -I shot a single target 5 times, all hits. Granted, it was starting to fall in slow motion as I put the last two into it, but I didn't trust anything by that point.
    I got rid of all pistol calibers except .22, 9, & .45 some time ago, but should this continue to be an issue, I have no problem with .40 cal.

12. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    I was shooting 115 grain PMC. Which I have 4,000ish rounds left of. I'm betting that's a big enough difference especially on a low hit, which I now seem prone to.

Dang, I didn't even notice that was a thing. Man, I'm green at this. Lifelong shooter and this sport makes me feel like I'm learning about guns for the first time!

13. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 23, 2014
    I've used my Mono 9mm (with magwell) in a couple of matches and really enjoyed shooting it. Plus the mag changes are a lot of fun, especially on the run! To each his own I guess

That being said, I would think one of those XD Mod2 5" guns with a magwell and maybe a trigger upgrade would be a great starter gun.
    - Last couple of months there were some two tones for under $400
    - Already has a fiber optic front sight. Rear sights are white dots that could be blacked out.

Blue Ridge likes this.
  14. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    Enos forum has used 2011s posted all the time. Also look at Ken's List on practiscore. You will find some there as well.

15. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    I have learned a ton about competition guns and competing over the past year. Its a constant education. I have my gear at a point where my ability can grow into it, which helps my wallet....lol.

16. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL Supporting Addict

Mar 11, 2013
    I was outshooting the 2011 guys with my VP9 in Tac Ops. Don’t overthink it. Use what you shoot best

william adams and Blue Ridge like this.
  17. Blue Ridge

Nov 3, 2011
    The problem is, I shoot 1911s best. And that means a 2011, unless I went the CZ route. Which I already own and can clang some steel with, maybe I should think about upgrading that as a stopgap. That's solid advice, thank you.

Thanks for that! Do you mind if I run anything by you that catches my eye when the time is right? It will be a few months from now unless I decide to sell something to fund it. I've sold literally everything I don't love, so we'll see if something tempts me enough, I suppose.

cwoods likes this.
  18. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    Sure thing. PM me.

cwoods and Blue Ridge like this.
  19. pscipio03

pscipio03 Fun O' Meter on FULL Supporting Addict

Mar 11, 2013
    I own 7 2011s to include a DVC 3 Gun. God knows how many mags... That said, it’s still a different platform and you may not shoot the 2011 as well. Just saying don’t sell yourself on a certain platform yet

Journeyman1234, WC145 and Blue Ridge like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted