Help me shoot straight!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Nicholas Aversa, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Nicholas Aversa

Nicholas Aversa Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Ok so im definitely a beginner shooter here. Probably shot about 3000 rounds sofar. I tend to still shoot left and occasionally low and left. Everything ive read said im milking the trigger, or not pulling straight back on the trigger.

Any suggestions to fixing this? How long did it take for you to shoot well?

This is me at about 7 yards? Is this decent progess?

Also i noticed i get worse after about 150 rounds, i think its grip fatigue.

Attached Files:

GIFS-1911, Dub and Badabing11 like this.
  2. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    If you're shooting low left, you're probably anticipating the shot. Don't do that.

Dry fire practice will help.

Steve B, Dub, Roehl and 2 others like this.

3. Nicholas Aversa

Nicholas Aversa Member

Jun 19, 2020
    When you say anticipating the shot, do you mean flinching? Im waiting for my hammer fired gun to come back from cajun gun works for sry fire practice. I have a striker fired walther ppq match, would it be ok to dry fire rhat without snapcaps?

4. nikerret

nikerret Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sound like some dry fire practice is in order. Also, slow down and focus on the fundamentals. If necessary, fire a shot, recover, and set the firearm down. Take a breathe, pick it back up and shoot, again.

Have you had instruction? It’s sometimes hard to know what you’re doing while you focus on proper steps of firing a shot. A second person, with a trained eye, will quickly see what needs addressed.

I’ve been shooting most of my life and spent the last twelve years as an armed professional. I still don’t shoot good enough to stop practicing.

Nicholas Aversa likes this.
  5. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    1911s are fine to dry fire, however yours isn't. Or if you're not sure it's ok, get snap caps.

When dry firing it's critical to watch your sights with slow trigger pulls to see if you're pushing the trigger to the left. You also need to pay attention to the follow through which is where you realise the trigger. If your follow through isn't clean, it can also affect where the bullet hits. Dry fire EVERY DAY. This also helps with muscle development and muscle memory

switchback and Nicholas Aversa like this.
  6. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    That's not bad shooting though. It does look like you are anticipating. If you are shooting with someone you can get them to load a dummy round/snap cap into a mag. You load a round or 2 then a dummy round, then finish loading the mag. The object is you don't know when the gun is not going to go off. So don't watch them load the mag. It could be the first round or the 3rd. You just don't know. Have them chamber the round and put on safe then place on the bench. It helps you to see what you are doing. Maybe bring the target in to 5 yards and work on that as well. I think you are doing well for a beginner.

Acroyer, DRD, blamo and 1 other person like this.
  7. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Is the pistol a 1911?

8. Nicholas Aversa

Nicholas Aversa Member

Jun 19, 2020
    It is not, right now im using a walther ppq match polymer. I have a cz tactical gettinf cajun gunworks part, and i pick up my shadow tac 2 from the ffl in a week or so.

9. Nicholas Aversa

Nicholas Aversa Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I think signing up for a lesson is in order. I was waiting until i join a shooting club, which is 2 weeks out since some shooters there said they would help

Dub likes this.
  10. FatMikey

FatMikey Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I am currently using MantisX to help improve my shooting. It attaches to rail under barrel and connects to your phone via bluetooth. Works with both dry fire and live fire and tells what you did wrong, giving a score for each shot. For me the common problem has been pushing forward and breaking wrist down which the MantisX alerted me to.

Babboonbobo and Nicholas Aversa like this.
  11. GTTom

GTTom Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I like this training video from Adam Painchaud from Sig Sauer Academy. Anticipation is common for new and experienced shooters. Another good way to train for it, is to have a buddy load your mags and mix in snap caps. You will quickly see if you are anticipating the shot by puling the muzzle down on a blank cartridge. :)

12. Nicholas Aversa

Nicholas Aversa Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I'm so curious why the reaction is to pull the muzzle. Im going to watch some videos and try the blank trick. The mantis seems a little pricey although so is ammo. Maybe ill purchaae that down the road. Thank you

13. DRD

DRD Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 8, 2018
    The following comment may or may not be of use to you.

Recently I had to start shooting with the other eye. This required a slight modification in my grip. All of a sudden I was sometimes shooting left or low left. Discovered I had started placing finger joint on trigger. Made a conscious effort to use finger pad, which solved about 90% of my problem.

14. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    It’s human nature to flinch when there’s a small explosion in front of your face. We as human beings want to get that over a fast as possible which leads to “jerking” the trigger. You have to consciously fight it and the best way to do that is to slow down the process. Try to press the trigger as slowly as possible and just let the shot break whenever it happens for a full box of ammo.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  15. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    I would try to find an instructor. Bad habits are hard to break. I really wish I had taken classes when I first started shooting.

Kip, DRD, Slapshot and 1 other person like this.
  16. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I always wondered if that was useful. John on ASP recommends it every day in his videos and it looks interesting but never heard any reviews other than his.

I put a CT grip on my 1911 and focus on things around the house as I pull the trigger and try to hold the laser on that spot, usually an outlet cover screw or switch etc. I can mostly keep it on the target now without loosing focus.

17. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    During my CCW course qualification, an old Marine loaded a magazine for me, with a snap cap mixed in. I was shooting my first lightweight carry gun, for the first time. Boy was I flinching. He suggested dry fire practice with an empty balanced on the front sight. You have to squeeze the trigger without jerking to keep the case from falling off. You then imagine the case there when shooting live ammo. It helped me out.

Rick McC. and Nicholas Aversa like this.
  18. jcc7x7

jcc7x7 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Grip the heck out of the gun with your left hand. probably twice as hard as the right and then
    LOL keep the sights aligned through the complete trigger push.
    The gun going off doesn't actual hurt CORRECT! Tell yourself that out loud!!
    Double muff with ear plugs and muffs especially indoors
    Those thing have helped a lot of folks I've help learn to shoot. Along with all the other correct stuff you have to learn to do.
    Keep at it with some good instruction or at least watching video's from well established teachers.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  19. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Get a good quality 22 with a very crisp manageable trigger and shoot it every day like your life depends on it till you develop trigger control . Learn to accept your wobble area and concentrate on pulling the trigger .
    After 5k rounds in you should be seeing noticeable improvement and be able to start moving the target back Keep working till you can keep them all in the black on a B16 at 25 yards with the 22 .
    Then start practicing with the 45 at close range at the end of your 22 practice sessions . If the 45 makes you flinch stop and continue with the 22.
    Becoming a good shooter dosent happen overnight you need to put the time in to develop trigger control and muscle memory. If you can find an experienced Bullseye shooter that will spend some time with you it will expedite this process somewhat.

20. HooDoo Man

HooDoo Man Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 26, 2017
    Besides all the good suggestions from people in the most knowledgeable Forum in the Nation. I don't know how you can sleep at night. You just killed an unarmed man!

Nicholas Aversa and Badabing11 like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted