Help me shoot straight!

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Cheflife15, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017

Been doing this for 44 years including shooting a lot of IPSC in the bad old days. I have never held onto a gun really tight. I hold it as much as I need to and do nicely that way. Give the guy time to learn what he needs to learn.[/QUOTE]

2. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017

3. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Come on guys.... the OP has a relatively simple issue to deal with and some of you aren't bothering to read the thread and are repeating suggestions (wit slight variations), on top of that, some of the responses are way ahead of what he needs. Some of you don't realize you can overload a person with info... which can be detrimental to his solving one problem at a time.

Can we get him through one issue at a time?? Meme for attention and also a suggestion.

1 1 thread (2).jpg

Man of Corn and Old Sea Dragon like this.
  4. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I have read all the posts, my head is about to explode.....!

In an early post you mentioned joining a club. Talk to people and watch to see who people go to for advice. Find out if there are any Competition shooters that have at least an Expert Certification, better yet in multiple disciplines! See if they offer advice "freely" but be prepared to hire an "Expert" after all it's time away from their family!

It's impossible to diagnose accurately shooter issues "over the phone"! Low left can be one or a combination of issues!

All the best,

5. mikegalway

mikegalway CEO of DILLIGAF industries Supporting Addict

Feb 23, 2014
    You could always become a moderator

6. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Nope, just some common sense.

7. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    No kidding!

8. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    I agree. Squeezing the hell out of the gun is the wrong approach. I don't squeeze too much with my right(strong) hand. I just use a nice relaxed grip. I squeeze with my left hand. Now my trigger finger is nice and relaxed.

HooDoo Man and mikegalway like this.
  9. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Solid advice ^^^^^^

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  10. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    If you don't want lots of advice don't ask for it on an internet forum! The advice that Mike and I approve of is simple. The majority of great shooters DO hold a handgun very firmly, but it doesn't work for everyone. I'll take Rob Leatham's advice over pretty much everyone.
    So, the best advice is to not ask questions on the internet? There's no fun in that!

If you want to shoot great and have your mind blown read this book.
    https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Shooting-Fundamentals-Brian-Enos/dp/0962692506
    An alternate title could be "Zen and the Art of Pistol Shooting"

Jeff

mikegalway likes this.
  11. mikegalway

Feb 23, 2014
    We all have to learn what works best for us . It's hard sometimes to overcome old habits . A trainer once told me his best students were the ones that had never even held a gun . He also said a flinch was your brain telling your hands to protect you from the coming shot .

12. mikegalway

Feb 23, 2014
    We all have to find what's for us . I watched Bart Skelton show a relaxed way of letting recoil happen , was demonstrating a Ruger Alaskan . I personally need a good firm grip to overcome familial tremors . I treat my gun grip like a isometric exercise . Works for me . A good friend of mine can only shoot one handed . He found a stance that works well for him .

13. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    I like shooting one handed and its how I learned to shoot . No death grip is required just a firm comfortable grip that is not inducing any forces over the gun other than to keep it firmly in your hand and allow you to move your trigger finger independently from every other muscle in your body .

Sorry but Rob Leatham in that video sounds like a guy who shoots so good he is out of sorts with the rest of the shooting world and has forgotten what its like to start out brand new at the sport .
    That said at the end he says there is a different method to shooting fast as opposed to accurately and kind of dismisses accurate shooting and that's his right . Like Bob said this video is way beyond what he needs to be concentrating on at this point in his shooting career

IMO learning to shoot accurately builds confidence . Speed can be acquired after confidence and trigger control has been built . IMO its a waste of time and ammo to spray bullets around at high speed in a shotgun pattern hoping to be able to pull the trigger fast without the gun moving .

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  14. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    Helps when people read the thread too.

Brian is active on Facebook and has his own website. His Zen viewpoint is interesting even for an old hand. I was one of the ROs at the early Steel Challenges when Brian, Chip McCormick and Rob Leatham were getting started. I got my first McCormick mags directly from Chip at a match.

15. shootin-blanks

shootin-blanks Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    +1, get a .22

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  16. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Just work on your grip. Build your grip then dry fire until you can pull the trigger however you want without moving the pistol. It’s pretty simple.

Your trigger finger can not over power the other 10 or 12, two arms, two wrists, elbows, shoulders and on and on

17. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    IMG_20200702_183934.jpg

I left the Ruger at the Cabin or it would have been in the picture . Any one of these will do the job . Shoot a brick a week till Xmas by then you should be able to keep all your shorts in the black of a B16 at 25 yards every practice session decent accuracy for a new shooter

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    shootin-blanks, JNW and Kip like this.
  18. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    IMO one of the biggest detriments to accurate shooting when it is operator induced is lack of proper trigger control.. 90% of inconsistent shooting can trace back to the trigger. This is why a flat trigger is helpful to me. Bullseye shooters what a little bit of a roll on their trigger for this reason as well. Instead of a solid wall and crisp break. On a rolling trigger there is less anticipation of the shot going off as it is a complete surprise. Pulling the trigger straight back with even pressure and squeezing off the trigger is the way I was taught as a kid, but some very avid shooters.. Even steady pressure and squeeze not pull, not jerk, but squeeze. Other thing is sight picture many honestly don't know where their gun actually shoots when using the proper sight picture, they merely speculate. So knowing where your gun shoots is a big plus. Over gripping the gun is not good either, having a stout hold and squeezing it to death are two entirely different things. Trying to squeeze the life out of it, will do just that lol..

19. *Double Diamond Colt*

Jan 15, 2020
    Agreed Bob Great shooters may not need a 22 but IMO a new shooter can gain confidence by the feedback he gets from shooting a good target with a 22 after putting in the dry firing time
    Tearing the center out of the target with the 22 verifies it can be done with a larger caliber if proper mechanics are adhered to .

shootin-blanks and mikegalway like this.
  20. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Op hit on something that I don’t think has been expounded upon yet. There is a limit to the round count we all can hit before training sessions become detrimental. It varies with the shooters experience, weapon and caliber, venue, etc. I think 100 rounds is about right, unless it is with a .22. Good luck!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted