Help me spend my money

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by Yellowsupersport, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    The markets have been favorable to me, and I’m closing out a 3-year gun “drought” with $2,000 in the fun fund. I have never owned an AR, and so I think it’s time I changed that.

So.... with this as my all-in budget, what would you recommend ? Keep in mind, the budget needs to cover :

- the rifle
    - iron sights (if not included above)
    - basic optic (if budget allows)
    - hard case (if not included above)
    - magazines
    - sling
    - minimum of 500 - 1,000 rounds to get started
    - what else I have missed

Ideally would not like an entry-level “project” gun because I know these are never ending / never get finished. I also would like new, and not inherit someone else’s problems / home-gunsmithing.

And before you ask, I have no specific use in mind - range toy, HD, etc. I’m an addict, I don’t need a reason. I want one because I don’t have one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Dangerous Brian

Dangerous Brian Pigtails and butter please...

Dec 9, 2013
    You need a Colt LE6920. The right gun, and the right price point for you to put together your package under budget.

simonp, UBOATDOC, mikegalway and 3 others like this.

3. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    Should be able to aquire all of that without issue for a range toy!
    Also “because” is the ONLY reason an addict needs:)

I have a Ruger SR556 (piston) and a Core15 AR (Gas impingement) that are both awesome and function perfectly.

xerts1191, FWoo45 and Kip like this.
  4. Ethanol Red

Ethanol Red Make it a double Supporting Addict

Jul 12, 2015
    In for updates. I might be tempted to sell my Ruger Cadillac.

5. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    You can get a lot of great rifles new for ~$800-1k or less

I’d look for a preowned aimpoint or eotech for ~$300

Troy back up sights $150
    1000 rounds of federal $300
    I prefer the soft cases $100
    Sling don’t have but can’t be more that like $50?

5 pmags ~$50

Got some money left over to buy more ammo!

simonp likes this.
  6. Colorado Sonny

Colorado Sonny Deo Volente Supporting Addict

Sep 25, 2015
  7. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    wcanterbury likes this.
  8. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    For a quality turn-key rifle that is a small to moderate step up from a 6920 and a larger step up from the sub $600 crowd, I'd take a look at Bravo Company Manufacturing's (BCM) lineup. Your budget is very realistic for your expectations, and there are many good options in that price range. A basic red dot like the Aimpoint Pro or an EOTech should be doable within that budget, or if you want a magnified optic and rings, Burris and Vortex both have good offerings.

RN47, wcanterbury and FWoo45 like this.
  9. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    ^^^This^^^ Dont rule out a lightly used optic either. Some deals to be had on aimpoints, like the PRO, or a used eotech.

10. Lou1

Lou1 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Sep 1, 2018
    4B0B4F45-2E79-47A6-9452-7546718FF872.jpeg Absolutely nothing wrong with a Colt LE6920. I own one and love it. That being said I also own a Daniel Defense DDM4 V11 and love it even more. Thanks to the current gun sales slump you can pick up a new DD for as low as $1300 delivered and it comes with a hard case. Leaves you $700 for ammo and optics. Here’s one that’s currently listed on Gunbroker. That’s a factory new rifle from a reputable seller.

simonp, RN47, 45caldude and 2 others like this.
  11. eboggs

eboggs Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Complete rifle for simplicity sake from any of the following:

BCM
    Daniel Defense
    LWRC
    American Denfense mfg .
    Colt (although you pay for the pony)
    LMT

Iron sights, I like Daniel Defense fixed iron sights even running an optic.

Slings, I prefer and recommend 2 points. A quick adjust sling from Blue force gear (Vickers tactical) or the like is preferable .

Optic...if money allows, Aimpoint T2, Comp M5....If you like eotech better, EXPS 2-0....3-0 if you're going to run NODS.....If on a budget, Aimpoint PRO.....cheap but QUALITY .

Magazines.....Magpul....cheap and reliable .

FWoo45 likes this.
  12. Plasman

Plasman Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    PSA (Palmetto State Armory) $500 with several options out there. Great rifles that you won't wear out unless you are shooting 20K rounds a year and even then get a new one but they last much longer. Used optics and 3K rounds and you'll still have have change left over. I've spent some change on several brands and they pretty much stack up the same. If you learn to shoot well you can be deadly with anything in the market. We used to shoot abused A1's, A2's and so on during my Marine Corps time open sights up to 500 yards. I was amazed what we could do with rattling rifles. These old eyes have issues now so 200 yards and out I need optics to keep the groups tight. Just an old Salty Dogs 2 cents.

Mike Meints likes this.
  13. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
  14. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Oh no, don't tell me we are gonna turn the AR corner... I belonged to a gun forum a while back that started out as mostly pistols and handguns and got totally over run by AR builders lmbo.. Just jkng btw though, nothing wrong with a good AR except it ain't a 1911 lol.. There are a lot of great 1911 deals on here at $2000 or under ;)

15. scottl

scottl Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2012
    For ammo, mags, and case shop the sales at Palmetto State Armory. They have some good bundles going usually

16. tarosean

tarosean Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Now-a-days you shouldn't have any issue picking up everything you want for 2k.. definitely a buyers market in the AR world.

Thats a heck of a good deal on the DD V11 posted above.. I paid considerably more for mine V11 millspec years back. However, it will not come with iron sights. so that should be factored into the equation. once you add a quality optic you will be close to depleting your fund.

Id probably go the Colt 6920 + Aimpoint H1 (assuming you dont need night vision capability) + the other things on your list.

17. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Daniel Defense or BCM

RN47, Steve Owens and mlea5150 like this.
  18. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    That is a really good price on the DD

Lou1 and Steve Owens like this.
  19. 45caldude

45caldude Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2015
    Barrett rec7 di

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

20. Integrity Arms

Integrity Arms 1911 Pistol Smith

Mar 20, 2017
    Their CS is Spectacular as well. Just ask Badabing11 He sent his in for a crooked handrail and had lost a screw trying to straighten it. The guy for DD told him to send it in that he should of never had to try and straighten the hand guard to begin with. When he got the gun back they had replaced the whole barrel and various other parts as I guess they found something out of spec and replaced nearly 1/2 the rifle and didn't even charge him for shipping, not sure on the age, but the way he talked he had had it for quite some time..

simonp, Lou1, Mike Meints and 2 others like this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted