Help me with the best OOB AR for a beginner.

Discussion in 'AR Forum' started by Dreadnought, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    A buddy of mine owns several handguns, but now feels like he needs a rifle. He specifically mentioned an AR-15.

He really liked my Tavor X95, but I wanted to give him a couple good actual AR options as well.

So what would be a good mid-range AR for him?

Reliability is most important. This will be used at 200 - 300 yards at most so it doesn’t need micro-precision accuracy level. Just a quality, reliable rifle for defending his home.

Suggestions and why it’s a good choice would be very helpful. Thanks guys!

2. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Palmetto State Armory

3. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    OOB usually means 'out of battery'.
    Not healthy for chillruns or pets and especially not with a 556 bullpup.

azpoolguy, gaijin, gps man and 3 others like this.
  4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Well-Known Member

May 5, 2020
    Sorry, I work in tech and to us it means out of the box.

boatdoc likes this.
  5. Greg M.

Greg M. Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 6, 2020
    Ruger MPR, PSA I’m sure there a lot of others but I have first hand knowledge of those 2 and have been extremely pleased.

6. BillKilgore

BillKilgore Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2015
    I am very happy with my Colt LE6920. I buddy likes his Windham AR-10 in .308. The Windham AR-15 version is probably good as well. I have handled, but not shot, a Springfield Saint. It appeared to be well built.

Good luck and let us know which one he decides to buy.

7. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Price range? Intended usage? I work with a guy that has a windham. I've shot it and it sucks even at the price point. Ruger and S&W make nice entry level stuff. Step up a bit and colt, BCM, etc. make pretty darn good stuff. They obviously can go wherever he wants after that.

Dub likes this.
  8. simonp

simonp Well-Known Member

May 27, 2016
    Id say Daniel Defense, really hard to beat out of the box, reliable, accurate, good guns!

azpoolguy, Dub, WWB and 2 others like this.
  9. Wake27

Wake27 Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Price range is really important. Budget ARs are far better than they’ve ever been, but most of the brands here kind of suck. Best all around for the money IMO is still BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNW, gaijin and gps man like this.
  10. fieldgrade

fieldgrade resident crank

Mar 13, 2017
    In the current market? Anything that fits his price range that wasn’t home built, and is actually available.

CardiacColt68, Dub and Dreadnought like this.
  11. WWB

WWB Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Apr 11, 2015
    Daniel defense

boatdoc, azpoolguy, Zero1911 and 4 others like this.
  12. jjfitch

jjfitch Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2012
    O.P.: "Reliability is most important. This will be used at 200 - 300 yards at most so it doesn’t need micro-precision accuracy level. Just a quality, reliable rifle for defending his home."

My wife commandeered one of my custom AR's! And just had to have her own! Because she only shoots a few times a year I didn't want to spend a small fortune. I checked out PSA and caught a couple of sales one for an upper and one for the receiver/lower! Next up was a Remeo-5 optic that comes on when the moved! Now she has her own AR for fun and home protection!
    She loves banging 8" steel at 100 yards! I hit the same steel at 200!
    Including break in, over 200 rounds not a single stoppage of any kind!

The price was well within budget. The features are what we wanted. The quality, fit and finish are great and as mentioned no stoppages! Gran-Ma is happy too.....

Smiles,

13. JohnnyEgo

JohnnyEgo Well-Known Member

May 17, 2017
    It's hard to really screw up an AR, and yet I still managed to make a part-time living out of unclustering them when I was a gun store flunky. So my general advice for a trouble-free first AR is stick to something from a brand you recognize. Not that it will get you a better AR than anyone else, but you at least get the support of a major manufacturer if something does go wrong. So it doesn't really matter much if you pick S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Colt, Rock River, or pretty much anything else. I happen to really like Bravo Company and LMT for rifles that have a little more attention to quality control thrown in the mix, at a bit more premium, just to give you some range.
    -
    Once you do get into the AR world, it doesn't take long to learn how to assemble your own or fix someone else's problem. As long as nobody has done anything involving JB Weld, Loctite, or drilling of gas ports, pretty much any other problem can be solved relatively easily. But until you are at that point, the easiest approach is to simply buy a factory rifle from someone you've heard of.

firecatwilson, JNW, rmac and 2 others like this.
  14. HEMIpowered

HEMIpowered Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2019
  15. pistolwretch

pistolwretch Dremel jockey Supporting Addict

Aug 26, 2011
    Colt 6720
    Pencil barrel
    Light weight
    add a red dot
    and a sling
    Good to go

gps man, rmac and simonp like this.
  16. Zero1911

Zero1911 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2019
    This is what he seeks,
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873036519
    The 1/9 hbar shoots spot on with cheap russian ammo (kinda important at the moment) and this police trade in probably sat on a rack for a decade (The Rogers Stoc dates it well).

17. firecatwilson

firecatwilson Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    I'd agree with the rest. My first was a Colt 6920. If I had to grab a gun and run out of the house it would be that. I'd also grab a DD, BCM, etc. Never tried the cheaper PSA stuff, but I've had a few Aero guns that would run with the best of them. I'd agree, get a brand you've heard of. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for... but I don't think that means you should go buy a KAC.

18. JNW

JNW Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    So, your friend wants a rifle to defend his family with. Sounds like he wants something that we KNOW will work. On the lower end S&W is decent and Colts have a well deserved reputation earned the hard way. If you go for something lower priced you will probably get a decent rifle, but probably doesn't cut it when SHTF. Otherwise as you go up the AR ladder you get reliability and longevity. As stated above I would look to BCM, LMT, DD, LaRue, Geissele, LWRC or KAC. These are proven tools. I bought a Daniel Defense and kind of wish I'd just bought a Knights and been done with it.
    Jeff

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted