Help Me Work Through This ...

Discussion in '1911 Carry' started by WahWah, Nov 3, 2011.

1. WahWah

WahWah Debbie Downer ... WahWah! Supporting Addict

Oct 26, 2011
    Since you all are 1911 Addicts, I figure this is the best place for me to get some good feedback.

This is my issue:

All my carry guns have no safeties and are either DA only or Striker fired.
    My reasoning is simplicity and in the heat of an event, not to worry about anything else.

I would *like* to carry a 1911, but the thing that is mentally hindering me are the safeties.
    Will I remember to click off the safety? I know this can be trained out.

This next link helps sum up my fears:

STORY HERE

It is an actual defensive shooting situation. I was told not to read the responses as they are just blah and the forum is blah, but only the initial post. The story as this guy relays it, was very thought provoking to me.

In the situation, the "audible" click of the safety turning off ruined a surprise and the grip safety hindered the effective use of his pistol for defensive purposes.

Please note that I am NOT trying to discourage carrying a 1911. I just need feedback on how this fear shouldn't prevent ME from carrying one.

I understand any given situation, the scenarios are vastly different. I'm just saying that if this person was carrying a Glock, things would have turned out differently.

I appreciate your feedback and please note that I'm trying to work through how this shouldn't deter me from carrying a 1911.

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    End of the day...Cary what you're comfortable with.

3. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    If the grip safety bothers you, pin it. Or get Novak's Answer. Training solves the issue of flicking the thumb safety off. The audible click ruining a surprise is a valid point, but I'd say that damn near 100% of the time someone draws their gun whomever they're drawing on sees them draw. So the surprise is pretty much never an issue.

4. deadguy

deadguy Charlie Daniels Supporting Addict

Sep 7, 2011
    Bro I shared those reservations a while back when I transitioned to the CCO. I actually qualified for my CWP with a full size 1911, but I didn't feel comfortable carrying one until I had spent several sessions, possibly adding up to a couple of hours, practicing the draw while unloaded.

I started out with a normal, relaxed stance and a basic draw, sweeping the safety as I pulled the pistol from the holster and started the motion upward. I felt like the best place to disengage was immediately after the draw in case I had to shoot from the hip. This technique was taught in the class and became an easy way for me to remember. I've often found myself at work wanting to practice, and since I carry a 1911 more when wearing a suit, I find time to sneak off into a room and practice my technique. Taking the mag out and unloading it first, reholstering, and practicing my jacket sweep and draw with two hands and also with one hand.

Basically just get to where you can practice with it until you feel comfortable with it. It doesn't have to be on the range at first. Get the muscle memory going and then get out and start shooting.

Good luck buddy.

5. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Same here. When I practice drawing, I sweep the TS as soon as the gun clears the holster. Once motion, pull and disengage the TS. EVERY time.

6. Sir Guy

Sir Guy Sharpening Ockham's Razor Supporting Addict

Aug 20, 2011
    Have to agree; use what you're comfortable with. People do all sorts of stupid and unexpected things under critical incident stress. 1911s can be very effective if you've trained a lot with them. The extra safeties on 1911s are a plus, but only if you're up to speed with it.

You'll rarely hear a strong argument against the simplicity of DAO or striker-fired guns. :thumb:

Andy

7. dnuggett

dnuggett Your ad goes here for $20/month or $200/year Supporting Addict

Aug 17, 2011
    I read the story and it doesn't appear conclusive that the click of the safety ruined the surprise or that the lack of engaging the grip safety caused the failure to fire. Both could be true, but it's not certain one way or another.

I'm not going to Monday morning quarterback the scenario. The guy lived and stopped the threat. He was successful. The only thing I will say is for better or for worse, I doubt I'd be led to that back room.

I carry a 1911 as an EDC. I am not worried in the slightest that a click from the safety gives away an element of surprise. If I am injured to the point that I cannot manipulate the 1911 I would transition to the 442 and continue the fight with the BUG.

All that said there is no amount of training that will have you perfectly prepared. You will always be left to respond with what you have and with the level of training and mindset you have instilled. This doesn't change depending on the gun you carry.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  8. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    IMO, most people are better off not carrying an 1911. You have decide if the platform, with its quirks, is right for you and decide to train hard with it.

9. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    So you are saying I too dumb for 1911s, should sell mine, turn in my Ban Hammer here......and migrate back to GT?

10. Wheezy

Wheezy Bullet Banger Supporting Addict

Aug 31, 2011
    In a word.... Yes! [​IMG]

11. WahWah

Oct 26, 2011
    LOL

12. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Up for sale....EMP and MC Operator.

....or will trade for 5 Glocks. :biggrin1:

13. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    Somebody kick this man in the ding ding....

14. John

John Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Oct 7, 2011
    His avatar leads one to believe that wouldn't be too effective.

15. WahWah

Oct 26, 2011
    He has bulletproof nads.

16. Blayglock

Blayglock Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Obviously that axiom does not apply to the high caliber folks we have on this fine forum.

17. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    if we so high caliber then tell me what axiom means...

18. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    They make pretty decent speakers. :thumb:

19. deadguy

Sep 7, 2011
    i thought that was what held the wheels on my car

20. Hokie

Hokie Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Nah, that's the ax'l....you know, like when I ax you a question.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted