1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have a "new to me" DW ECO in 9mm. Had a few Failure to Return to Battery....round would load, slide would be an 1/8" away from chambering fully. A VERY slight push/tap on the rear of the slide chambered the round fully and the gun continued on without issue. This happened only a few times (3ish?) out of about 100 rounds.

I'm thinking the recoil spring just needs to be replaced. I'm not sure how many rounds were through it when I got it...but pretty low.

I've been searching online for somewhere to purchase a FLAT WIRE 18lb recoil spring for the ECO assembly (it's a bull barrel with a recoil spring assembly), but can't seem to find one anywhere! I've seen lots of 22lb one's for a .45acp....but nothing for a 9mm. I even tried Dan Wesson's website and they don't have them online. If I can't find one, I'll just call them...but still searching first.

Anyone know where to get a couple?

Z-

·
Sir Kip Esquire
11,471 Posts
I don't think you'll find a flat wire for it.
Check out Springco
Supposed to be really good springs

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kip! I'll check 'em out. Yeah....not finding them anywhere. Read a few folks bought the 22lb Officer ones for a Wilson Sentinel or from EGW and then cut back about 1 - 2 coils....cleared up any issues and ran fine....I have 2 of those, so I may play with them and then call DW...

·
Registered
585 Posts
First order of business: did you detail strip, clean and lube? Any gun new to you should be. Your ECO may have a tired recoil spring, or might just be dirty; it's even possible it hasn't been shot enough yet to fully smooth out.

Second order of business: contact Keith at DW to determine the correct recoil spring and order.

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
6,013 Posts
If it has a low round count it's not the recoil spring, I would liberally lube it and shoot the heck out of it with 147's for 300 rounds

·
Registered
760 Posts
I had to go to Dan Wesson to pick one up for my ECO in .45ACP. If you end up needing one, I would contact them for it. Good luck!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I couldn't find the spring I needed online either, I had to contact them directly & they took my credit card info & sent it

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
First order of business: did you detail strip, clean and lube? Any gun new to you should be. Your ECO may have a tired recoil spring, or might just be dirty; it's even possible it hasn't been shot enough yet to fully smooth out.

Second order of business: contact Keith at DW to determine the correct recoil spring and order.
+1 on this.
These need plenty of lube till they're broken in.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yup! first thing I do with new-to-me guns (new or used) is a detailed strip. I like the gun alot...internals are great.

I went back and looked at the original post I bought it from....it only had about 300 rounds through it (roughly).....so, I'll lube the heck out of it and shoot it some more and see how it goes.....

Thanks fellas!!!!!

Z-

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 for azguy1911 regarding gun/spring being essentially new if it's got +/- 400 rounds on it. You might look at extractor tension. I have a semi custom that I could hardly press a round under the extractor by hand when it was NIB- excessive tension would slow the feeding cycle and caused same issue you describe. I've also experienced fully ramped barrel feeding issues with both W/N and C/P ramps (they're pretty steep). Short guns can be a bear trying to get one to pass the 10-8 extractor/reliability test! Let us know what happens-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts