1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an AR Stoner Upper in 7.62x39 from Midway. The purpose for the rife is to shoot some cheap steel case ammo at 20 cents/round ammo for plinking and to shoot some brass case soft points for Hog Hunting.

So I narrowed it down to three complete lower receivers I found on Cheaper than Dirt based on my perceived quality and price. The ones I am looking at are as follows in order of price:

Spikes Tactical ($270) – I have heard good things but have never used

Yankee Hill ($310) – I have one on another rifle and like it

BCM ($395) – I have one on another rifle and like it

I am leaning towards the Spikes to try something new. However, I think the BCM is the best quality of the three (100% Mil Spec) but pricey. The Yankee Hill splits the difference and is not 100% Mil Spec like the BCM but maybe just as nice.

Should I try something new, go full monty, or split the difference with something tried and true?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't know how good it is but I just ordered a Ruger lower with the 2 stage trigger for 240.00 delivered to my gun store. We'll see, have a Rock River upper on the way.
Trying to keep cost down and still have something that will shoot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how good it is but I just ordered a Ruger lower with the 2 stage trigger for 240.00 delivered to my gun store. We'll see, have a Rock River upper on the way.
I have two Ruger Lowers they came with my SR556 and AR556. A two stage trigger would be nice since I had to replace mine since they both came in at 8 lbs. But other than the triggers they are nice.

However, I cannot be fully trusted when it comes to Ruger since I am a bit of a fanboy, LOL

BTW I lov RRA I have 4 of their uppers and two lowers in my current collection.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
My experiences with Vltor and BCM have been outstanding. I've bought at least two Spike's complete lowers for 5.56, and wound up replacing the whole LPK. And I'd never own anything with Yankee printed on the side, so I'd go BCM and never look back. :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have two Ruger Lowers they came with my SR556 and AR556. A two stage trigger would be nice since I had to replace mine since they both came in at 8 lbs. But other than the triggers they are nice.

However, I cannot be fully trusted when it comes to Ruger since I am a bit of a fanboy, LOL

BTW I lov RRA I have 4 of their uppers and two lowers in my current collection.
Glad to hear you like them. I'm a bit of a Ruger fan but new to ARs. Ruger stuff is usually good and they do try to take care of you if you do have a problem. I decided today to put a TRS-25 on it, still keeping things cheap. I have one on a 10/22 and it's great. It looks a bit dinky but works like a charm.

·
I gotta have more cowbell
3,482 Posts
Oh, that RRA barrel will shoot. I had one a while back and it was as accurate and repeatable as any rifle I've owned. I think you done good

By the way, if you are not happy with the trigger, RRA sells a Varmint 2 stage trigger at 3.5 lbs, and a National Match two stage at 4 to 4.5 lbs. They typically can be had for $80 to $100, and are damned nice triggers.

I'm a self admitted trigger snob. My first choice if money were no object would be Geiselle's 3 gun trigger. But I just couldn't go there knowing how great the RRA triggers perform. There just wasn't $160 of difference for me.

·
"Death Waits in the Dark"
43 Posts
As most people said the BCM is the best lower of the three you listed and with their new PNT trigger it's even better. But if you want to save some money then Spikes is a good way to go as well. They make an excellent product and I have never had any issues when I have used their lowers building rifles for people and never had any complaints either. They also make an ok battle trigger for their lowers as well. So really either the Spikes or BCM is fine, but yes the BCM is the best of the three. Good luck and enjoy the shooting. Post some pics of the finished rifle when you decide.

·
Banned
1,431 Posts
BCM sells high quality parts, i've owned several. but for my personal use i've stuck with Mega Arms uppers/lowers, i've got a couple,,,maybe 5 using Aero Precision builder kits. the Aero stuff is good, very good, but not close to Mega Arms. i've also sold and used Anderson lowers, alot of them, have 3 of them sitting around as back up. the lowers job is hold and release magazines, and make the hammer fall...if any lower does those jobs the rest of enhancements are gravy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I now have the Ruger lower attached to the RRA upper(very tight fit). Put the TRS 25 on it and off to the range. The looks, fit, finish on the Ruger lower are as good as the RRA lower on my other rifle. The trigger pull on the Ruger is as good as the RRA, 4-1/2#, really nice. It also seems to be a shooter too, will scope it later to see what it'll really do. Plan now is with the red dot out to 200 yds. The RRA upper is the 16", mid-length, 325.00 on sale.
Life is good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I now have the Ruger lower attached to the RRA upper(very tight fit). Put the TRS 25 on it and off to the range. The looks, fit, finish on the Ruger lower are as good as the RRA lower on my other rifle. The trigger pull on the Ruger is as good as the RRA, 4-1/2#, really nice. It also seems to be a shooter too, will scope it later to see what it'll really do. Plan now is with the red dot out to 200 yds. The RRA upper is the 16", mid-length, 325.00 on sale.
Life is good.
I really like Rugers in general and think RRA are great ARs

With that combination how could you go wrong

BTW the AR stoner on the BCM lower is running great as long as I stick to 10 rd mags

Still trying to work the bugs out of some 30 rd mags

Hurricane Irma has really messed up my shooting schedule

I just got power back today and as far as I know my gun club is still without power

At least I got my AC back

·
Administrator
8,106 Posts
If your not going to build the lower frome a stripped lower I would go with BCM as all the small parts are good to go.. If your are using a stripped lower you can pretty much choose the lower with the logo you like the best.. I have had excellent luck with aero lowers and uppers but you can pick up an Anderson stripped lower for super cheap. And they are fine also it's more about the parts you put into it these days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMG_0879.JPG
IMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0885.JPG
600 rounds in and it runs everything Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear Thru C Producs, D&H, ACS, & AR Stoner Mags

Very happy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts