1911 Firearm Addicts banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Guncrafter has a 5.5 month wait on a new pistol. I second George at Gunslingers as the place to order. I am one month in on a No Name commander and have ordered thru George many times. He gives you a fair shake and is easy to work with. Just my experience.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Between those 2 particular guns, I would’ve gone Wilson for a few reasons. But the biggest reason is I don’t like Nitride or Melonite. I have a GI on order where I requested cerakote with no Melonite base layer, which they will accommodate. I also don’t dig the top slide serrations, but that’s just my personal taste.

The Wilson also had better grip safety blending in my opinion based on the pictures.

But to echo others, don’t impulse buy a rack gun because it seems like a good deal. You could order either of those brand new for similar pricing. And for a few dollars more, you could get some additional options that make it more your gun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks for all the support. I didn't need to run my card today. It was a close call. I stayed there too long eyeballing guns. There's a gun show this weekend but I hardly, if ever see any custom 1911's

I have a list and neither gun was on it.
I will say I also saw 2 Alchemy Customs too, both 38 Super. The Guncrafter was very nice, very little evidence inside it had even been fired. I like the melonite or black nitride finish the GI has. The WC combat looked new with all the factory documentation.

Eta: The Alchemy was very fine detail work the lines & fit were near perfection. They were used I think. I'm just not into 38 Super

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If you can shave a couple hundred off the GI NN, I say buy it. I have a Model 3 with that finish, as long as you follow GI’s cleaning recommendations you’ll be fine. GI 1911 are well built and they are tackdrivers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Own 2 GIs, no Wilson's. Both are excellent pistols. GIs just look more classic to me. Buy both? LOL

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, Shadow Hawk, G21 and 19X
6,427 Posts
They have some pretty nice prices on there for the 1911s.

Reactions: TXGuns

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I bought a used wilson at a pawn shop. It was scary, but I was able to send in the serial number to get a service history and birth date. You should be able to do the same with the GI.

This ended up being one of the best purchases I’ve made. In my extremely lengthy gun ownership history spanning……10 months.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I’ve never been a fan of the Wilson aesthetics. I know they are well made but do not own Nighthawks for the same reason. Owned two Nighthawks at the beginning of my 1911 addiction. Both ran fine. No hiccups. They just didn’t do it for me in the looks department. A Guncrafter No Name is on my list. They have a better look to me. Of course that is just my opinion. Good luck with your decision making.

·
born in the wrong century
5,285 Posts
Guncrafter has a 5.5 month wait on a new pistol. I second George at Gunslingers as the place to order. I am one month in on a No Name commander and have ordered thru George many times. He gives you a fair shake and is easy to work with. Just my experience.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Love me some George T.

He‘s a straight shooter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Love me some George T.

He‘s a straight shooter.

I have perused his (Gunslingers) site in the past, this may be an option for me too!
There is a Colt CSCRG O4012RGZ on my list, are sparse since were limited to probably 200 made. I know that Colt might not be considered a custom maker per say as compared to NH, GI, WC and others, but I want to match a CCS gun of mine with a like themed CCS Commander. I have bought 3 different CCS guns this year and haven't been disappointed at all with any of them.

Now, I do appreciate the work that NH & GI do on a 1911. I like an accurate gun. The most accurate I've ever shot in a 1911 has been a Colt CCS thus far.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Guncrafter! You WILL NOT regret it. I have both a Wilson CQB and Guncrafter No Name. The Wilson is a fantastic pistol and I have no complaints at all, but the Guncrafter is simply a step above IMHO. I cant prove it...but my No Name feels as if it has more hand fitting and attention to detail. The only downside to the melonite on the Guncrafter is that you have to watch what cleaners you use so the finish doesn’t get cloudy. Either way you’re talking the best of the best semi customs and you can’t go wrong! Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Okay I'm zeroed in on the GI - called GI this morning for more info on the finish. I want it to be melonite but suspect it may be ceracote? The pistol is on hold. Supossedly haha.

·
Premium Member
NHC Falcon, Shadow Hawk, G21 and 19X
6,427 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Spoke with a builder this morning at GI.
Confirmed the GI is a 2013 build, melonite, 2013 tritium sights. $2.6k out the door from this store in TX.
I can buy direct from maker new for a few hundred more if I'm willing to wait (20 weeks)
Im going to wait... because I do like new stuff! I would enjoy it more & be more satisfied with it being new. Breaking it in for my self.

Again thanks for the support!

TXGuns

41 - 60 of 85 Posts