Help please

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by SaltOTE, Oct 30, 2018.

1. SaltOTE

SaltOTE New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Can someone please tell me how to detail strip my SA SS TRP? Once I’ve field stripped and removed grips, what’s the next step? I’m asking because I suspect the trp is somewhat different than a traditional 1911. Thank you

2. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Same as the rest of them. Next step is to remove the mainspring housing, then remove thumb safety by wiggling it out.

boatdoc likes this.

3. walleyemonster

walleyemonster Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Internally, the parts in the frame are no different from a standard 1911. As to the guide rod set up, I bought a standard guide rod and spring cap and omitted the original TRP setup which is a pain in the ass.

4. SaltOTE

SaltOTE New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Thank you. And how do you remove an ambi safety?

5. tylerishonda

tylerishonda Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Ambi safety should just be attached by some type of pivot point on the pin that connects them, and your grip holds it in place. Both sides should come freely after a little wiggling.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

6. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    You tube and the Brownells site is your friend...

mikegalway, FWoo45, xerts1191 and 3 others like this.
  7. SaltOTE

SaltOTE New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Ok. Still can’t get ambi safety apart...

8. limbkiller

limbkiller Pulling my hair. Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2011
    Take a rag/small piece of leather and pair of pliers and wiggle it as you pull. It will come apart and out.

gun_fan111 and FWoo45 like this.
  9. Mike Meints

Mike Meints Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2017
    See if this helps :

tac45 and xerts1191 like this.
  10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    There is probably a pin sticking thru frame holding ambi safety on...rotate the ambi safety up and back towards rear of gun ...to get it off the pin...there is a groove inside ambi safety that holds the head of that pin....then the ambi safety will come off.

FWoo45 likes this.
  11. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
    I started a thread on this a while ago. Springer ambi's are notoriously difficult to get apart. I haven't gotten back to try mine again, but I will tomorrow and report on it.

My thoughts are to wrap dental floss around the right side post and use it to tug briskly at the center post as not to put off center stresses on it.

I even took some dental floss to work today to try this but didn't get the time.

Z

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot likes this.
  12. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Consider my signature line before replying . . . .

Dec 4, 2014
  13. SaltOTE

SaltOTE New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    Thanks all! Using pliers and a scrap of leather (per limbkiller) I finally got the safety apart and the gun broken down. Cleaned everything and reassembled. Now I just have to learn how to do all the work I want done (trigger job, dehorning, etc.)!

KTXdm9 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted