1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horsetraded into this a while back . First time I shot 175 rounds of SD ammo ( 7 different loads ) & gun was unlocking too soon . Installed a EB 20lb RS & Wolff 23lb MS , also fitted a Harrison Small Radius FPS & a SA MSH/magwell . Also bent the sear spring as pull was on the heavy side , it passed all the tests . Break was clean just heavier than what I thought it should be .
Took it to range yesterday & shot another 215 rounds of same loads . Now it seems I've got problems with 3 point jams & slide rideover occasionally . Had the 3 point happen twice , 3 FTRTB & rollover once . Used 7 different mags 2 factory & 5 Wilson 47XO . I'm wondering if 20lb RS along with Sm Rad FPS is the issue or if it's time for a new extractor .
Gun according to box was shipped 8/12/13 which I believe was after Sig had redone their extractors . I saw that EGW makes one . Before I go that route I believe I'll put all the factory stuff back in along with an 18lb RS if I can get one locally . I do have some on BO from Brownell's , long with some other stuff . Then it's back to the range & this time I believe I'll do the 10-8 diagnosis test just to eliminate the mags from the picture .
This is my first go around with a smaller than Gov't sized 1911 . Supposedly these come from Sig Custom shop . Can't remember the 'smith on this forum that used to work there but he said Sig internals were crap . So if a new extractor I'm going with EGW , new spring etc .
My big question is can retaining pin be removed with correct size punch ? I've heard factory presses them in . If so does one drive pin out from the bottom side ? Seems it would be easier to support top of slide rather than the bottom . If y'all think this is something the factory or a Pro should do please say so , it won't hurt my feelings whatsoever .
Btw ammo shot was Speer GD 185 , 200 +P , 230 . Fed 230 HST & HiShok , Rem GS 230 , 185 Bonded , 185 GS + P , Win 185 ST . Gun shows distinct preference for the 185 + P GS , Speer 200 GD +P & Speer 230 GD . Before new springs & FPS the 200 GD didn't group well , the 185 GS +P was too hot & the 230 GD shot good . I think if I can get it dependable I'll stick with the Speer either 200 or 230 .

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,716 Posts
Which mags were you using when when it exhibited the 3 point jams? Very doubtful you have an extractor problem if it is ejecting fine. Any creases or lines in the expelled spent brass?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Both of the Sig factory mags & 1 of the Wilson 47XO were involved . Other 4 Wilson mags have not been a problem so far . Majority of the time it does eject , but patern is not consistent & every now & then one in the head / face . Extractor is stainless not carbon steel . I'm gonna let it set in the Ultrasonic for 60-90 mins & clean everything good & see if I can find some telltales .

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,716 Posts
Material it’s made of in an external doesn’t matter.. The reason a lot of guys won’t use SS internal extractors is they say it loses its memory because of less flexibility. But. I never have experienced Amy problem with them personal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to EGW they've beefed design up & only offer a carbon steel one . Seems not to be much consensus .

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,716 Posts
EGW only offer Carbon steel ejector bars also, but SS can be bought other places. If the pin on the RCS is done like the rest of their models then you can push the pin out from bottom to top, backwards It seems I know but less chance if a visible mar if one were to skip with the punch also. This is how I always removed them in their p series guns and one other 1911 of theirs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Extractor hook looks OK . No chips missing & hook is sharp enough . Little more clearance between hook & breach face than I'm used to seeing & not much radius on bottom side either . Breach face could stand to be polished as there's some tool marks not too deep but they're there . Drive pin out from the bottom like I thought looking at it .

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,716 Posts
Extractor hook looks OK . No chips missing & hook is sharp enough . Little more clearance between hook & breach face than I'm used to seeing & not much radius on bottom side either . Breach face could stand to be polished as there's some tool marks not too deep but they're there . Drive pin out from the bottom like I thought looking at it .
Yep from the bottom up, I’ve sometimes had luck slightly stretching the extractor spring, but you could just order one from Sig, their usually pretty good about getting parts to ya. I’m still betting it’s mag/recoil spring related and I’d polish the feed ramp.

·
Registered
376 Posts
. . . slide rideover occasionally
I assume you're referring to a bolt-over-base malfunction where the slide doesn't strip the next cartridge from the magazine. This is a symptom of a mismatch between the strength of the recoil spring and the strength of the magazine spring. The recoil spring is pushing the slide forward faster than the magazine spring can push the cartridge stack up into solid contact with the feed lips.

It appears your pistol has several issues. If you try to fix them all at once, it'll be difficult knowing what thing you did fixed what problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yup I too believe the 20lb RS is too much . The Wilson mags are brand new & springs don't feel that robust to say the least . I had called Sig & they told me factory springs were 20 on RS , 23 on MS so that's what I put in . Gun is their Custom Shop CCO size , would be a nice CCW if I can get it too run . I'm also hesitant to polish feedramp as it's an alloy frame & don't want to remove the hard anodizing . It's not chewed up from followers or bullet impact . I did put it in the US cleaner & will do a more rigorous inspect in the daylight . Might have to put the Tripp springs / followers or stronger mag springs in the mags . Factory FPS had a huge radius on it like you'd put in a wadcutter gun . Small radius FPS is delaying unlock & slowing rearward slide momentum . Heavier RS is forcing slide forward too fast to strip / feed top round with current mag springs .
Good point Steve . Seems the extractor is having occasional problem capturing the top round under its hook so stronger mag springs might just be the ticket along with a std weight RS . Trying to get my head wrapped around this .

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,716 Posts
I had one of these but, I had the C3 it wasn't an alum frame, yeah def don't polish the feed ramp lol. Sorry didn't realize it was alloy framed gun. I have owned a few sigs in the past and tbh was never a big fan of their mags either. I think I'd use the mags I know will work, set the ones aside you were having problems with and see if the other mags give you an issue. And I'd use an 18# Recoil spring

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been trying to find extra power mag springs for the Wilson 47OX mags without luck . Not sure if the Tripp Kits would be an improvement either as their Super 7 kit will limit them to 6 rounds . The factory mags seem to have stronger springs as they're harder to load than the Wilsons . Maybe the lips are just tighter . Alloy frame I'm concerned wrong metal followers will screw up feedramp . Perhaps the 18lb RS will make this a non-issue . I'll call Wilson in the morning & see if they can help with stronger mag springs .

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,716 Posts
Tripp Cobra mags imo are the best on the market, not sure about the rebuild kits, have heard good things but never used them. Everything you describe though sounds like a timing issue if not the mags, I think the recoil spring may solve your problem.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a Colt Wiley Clapp CCO that is my favorite carry pistol. I installed a steel feed ramp for peace of mind along with the usual array of after-market parts (flat bottom firing pin stop, sights, grip safety, mag catch, etc). I'm running a 16lb recoil spring in it without any issues even though spec is 18lbs.

Some time ago I embarked on a mission to test all the magazines I had accumulated over the years with every 1911 that had found a home here and every kind of ammo stockpiled in the bunker. As I recall, that resulted in something like 800 combinations to test. There was no way I was going to burn all that ammo on the range so I did manual feeding tests so I could feel every bump along the way. I removed only the recoil spring and guide rod and pushed the slide forward using two thumbs on the back of the slide. Mags were filled to capacity.

Here's what I've learned about the current crop of magazines. The one magazine that fed the smoothest across the widest combination of pistol/ammo was the Checkmate hybrid feed lip design. Nothing else even came close. I have a bunch of Tripps and they fed as smoothly as the Checkmates but only in a couple of pistols. McCormick, Wilson, Metalform, Magpack, etc were either extremely clunky by comparison or simply wouldn't feed anything other than a specific brand and type of ammo in a specific pistol.

So, I kept the Checkmates and Tripps but got rid of all the rest. The Checkmates have seen thousands of rounds put through them since then without a single hiccup.

The very first Checkmates I bought years ago gave me inertia feeds in one pistol. I replaced their OEM springs with Tripp springs and cured that problem. The newer Checkmates appear to have better springs and run fine.

The bottom line is that some pistol/ammo combinations run better with some mags than others. While I'm a convert to Checkmates that doesn't mean they're the best for everyone. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy one example of every mag from every manufacturer and run the manual feeding test first followed by live range testing before settling on which mag I was going to stock up on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve in Allentown , pray tell where did you happen to find a Commander length 16lb RS ?

Do you also know where the Checkmate mags can be bought for a good price ? Are you using the 6 or 7 round ones ? Damn Wilson's I bought new from Brownell's as I've got a commercial account & it saves me a few dollars . I'd been told to watch out for steel followers dinging up the frame feed ramp , hence the Wilson mags they're 47OX 7 rnd . I'm hoping I can get some stiffer springs or maybe just stretch the existing ones enough to function .

First time I shot it you could feel the impact on the VIS so I figured it was under sprung , plus I've always went with Small Radius FPS in guns that will be used with hardball or stronger loads . One of the few ways you can increase unlock time if you're not fitting a new barrel .

I do have some 18lb RS coming in tomorrow , but a 16lb would be good to have just in case . Just remembered a couple of " hardball " guns we built we had to go with a 14lb RS for them to function until they loosened up a little . Gov't size , small rad FPS & everything hard fit with hand lapped slides etc . I guess I could go 1911 Tuners route & trim a 16lb Gov't spring .

If I get it sorted out a steel feed ramp just for longevity makes sense & IMHO better than a ramped barrel . If I rebarrel I'm going KKM as Barsto aint what they used to be . A better fit Bushing wouldn't hurt even if I stay with factory barrel . Either way I'd have to farm it out as I no longer have the tooling .

20lb RS now in it is an Ed Brown because at the time Brownell's did not have any 18lb in stock except progressive rate which I do not care for on a " street gun " .

Have used many Metalform mags in target guns rounded followers in wadguns & flat w/ the dimple in Ball guns . Heck they were cheap back then IIRC $ 5 a piece . Used to buy them by the bushel from Gil Hebard . If they didn't work we'd throw them in box & after the season rework them . If they choked again in the trash they went .

To both Steve's I want to say thanks for your time & help . It's always better to have more than one head when trying to figure out a problem child . I like the idea of pulling RS assm'y & hand cycling to verify mag feeding .

·
Registered
376 Posts
. . . where did you happen to find a Commander length 16lb RS?
Wolff has every 1911 spring you'll ever need: https://www.gunsprings.com/COLT/COMMANDER SERIES PISTOL/cID1/mID1/dID2#795

Do you also know where the Checkmate mags can be bought for a good price?
Top Gun Supply: https://www.topgunsupply.com/magazines/1911/check-mate.html
Ed Brown: https://www.edbrown.com/product-category/magazines/

Are you using the 6 or 7 round ones?
I use 8 round extended tube mags (CM45-8-S-H-EXT) in Government and Commander size 1911s and 7 round flush fit mags (CM45-7C-S-H) loaded with 6 rounds only in Officer size frames.

I'm hoping I can get some stiffer springs or maybe just stretch the existing ones enough to function.
Unfortunately, I've never played around with the Wilson mags to determine if Tripp springs would be compatible with them. Stretching out springs is a waste of time even though it may work temporarily

First time I shot it you could feel the impact on the VIS
Striking the VIS is the way 1911s were designed to work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts