Help with Colt Series 80 fire controls

Discussion in '1911 Gunsmithing' started by bw210, Jan 20, 2012.

1. bw210

bw210 Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    So some of may know that my EDC is a SA EMP40 and I started a thread about the glued ejector coming loose and sending back to SA. While it's there I'm going to do what I can to do with the funds I have for some SACS work, front checkering being the first and possibly Nitron finish. Probably will be over 4-5 months at least before I have it back. My Colt Officer model fits my EMP IWB holster with enough retention to hold upside down, less the last 1" sticking through. I have decided that this is my replacement for now since I love the holster and fits me well.

Back to my question for the thread. The trigger sucks. Pretty well know fact about them. I do however love the short trigger. So I was browsing through Midways catalog and they have a series 80 "pin pack"... "coated with super hard titanium nitride and will reduce trigger pull by 1/4 to 1/2 lb. Kit contains hammer pin, sear pin, trigger lever, plunger spring and plunger. May require minor fitting."

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/302636/cylinder-and-slide-trigger-pull-reduction-kit-1911-series-80

Is this the best I'm going to be able to do about the trigger? I am not a trigger smith and have no intention of stoning parts in the fire controls until I do much more research and practice on something other than my carry gun. I'm looking for close to drop in... or can I just polish the original parts? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

2. knedrgr

knedrgr Low capacity, low tech...

Aug 15, 2011
    A little polishing goes a long way. Try these areas:
    • the back of the trigger bow that contact the disco.
    • the back of the disco contacting the bow
    • the middle sear leg that contacts the disco. And break the edge of this leg to reduce the friction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can also change the weight of the MS.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted