1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new member here let’s begin. Not new to firearms, can’t tell you how many I’ve owned through the years, but never a 1911. I think it’s time! My issue is small hands and short fingers, never handled one that was even close to comfortable. With the offerings out there now surely one will fit. Help steer me in the right direction. Not many places close to me that carries over 1 or 2 at the most and they are full size models. Thanks for your opinions and input.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Slim grips, extended everything (magazine release, slide stop, thumb safety), short trigger... all are aftermarket modifications that can be done to all factory built mil-spec built 1911's.
Good suggestions. I'd put thin grips and a short trigger the top of the list.

Before you jump head-long into any large purchase, I have to ask if this is based on how the gun feels in your hand or have you actually shot one? If you've shot one several times and just don't like it, then ignore the following. Some of the pistols I shoot best felt too big for me when I first picked them up (not all 1911's). My daughter-in-law, who has quite small hands, shoots the heck out of a full size 1911.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Have spent very little to no time shooting one. My assessment is based on handling only. As far as budget, that depends on the firearm. Not saying sky’s the limit but I’m not afraid to rathole a few more bucks for the right one if that makes sense.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dan Wesson gives you a high quality pistol for a decent price. I would suggest trying to shoot friends 1911s if your state laws allow this. Or maybe rentals at a range?

My state laws don't allow me to even touch a pistol without a permit. I have shot some a couple of times in back yards of friends homes. Although all were full framed, the DWs being the most expensive I've handled, seem awesome in quality and accuracy. The Remmy I handled seemed lower on quality as well as Kimber. Those are the only 3 makers I have touched, and all in .45

Good luck with your 1911 quest.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Handle and shoot as many as you can.
Slim grips and short triggers.
Buy as good as you can afford because if you wind up really liking the 1911 you will want a better one.

We have addicts in Mississippi that might help...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do buy the best quality you can afford with the idea that that you rent a gun, and minimize loss on trade/upgrade.
Select from the classified section here for a great buy.Lightly used Nighthawk Custom's (my latest drug of choice) can be found $1000 off retail.
Post questions,a WTB,any help needed we are here for you.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Try a Springfield EMP in your desired barrel length. The grip is shorter front to back 1/8” and has slim grips.

I will second the Springfield EMP's. Specifically the EMP-4 Contour Carry . . . . .

Springer EMP Contour-01.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Dan Wesson Valkyrie would be a good one. They come in a commander and cco. The commander is discontinued I believe but you can still find one on this site or GunBroker. The other Valkyrie model is the cco which has a shorter grip and is more for conceal carry. I own the Valkyrie cco in 45 and like it very much. They both have slim grips and medium length triggers. Dan Wesson Vigil lineup is another one to look at. Vigil comes in cco, commander and government models. I own a Vigil government 45 and it's hard to beat especially for the price. Look at the guardian as well. Never owned one but they are very well liked on this forum. All the models I have mentioned are forged aluminum frame.

As you can see I like Dan Wesson. For my hard earned money it's the best 1911 I can afford to buy.

I added the standard width VZ grips and a Wilson Combat aluminum magwell.
IMG_20200303_112347.jpg

·
What me worry ?
11,089 Posts
Why limit your purchase options. ??????
I know your new and probably don’t have a copy of the latest
TACS Terrible Tools (TTT) gunsmithing catalog .... page 86012,
Mark 82b finger adjuster !
5F35A29F-671A-438E-843C-43413BE15A61.jpeg

Deluxe kit :
16605328-C9B5-4621-9066-7B3A17E43F49.jpeg

Before and after :
C1085EDF-1669-49DA-BEF1-7A3552444F63.jpeg

Send cash and double cost catalog now !
Please send gold after pandemic.

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
Reactions: azpoolguy

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Les Baers are naturally slim. Be sure and get it in the Lord's Caliber (.45ACP).

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I think practice dry firing, hand exercises and range practice are more important. Learn proper grip techniques.
Then if you need slim grips and different length trigger you can make the changes one at a time.
When JMB made the 1911 your hands were probably upper limits normal.
Believe in yourself, get instruction, watch Rob Leatham you tubes,
and practice dry firing. Then develop likes or dislikes.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
You've got some great advice from those who already responded. Just wanted to offer my perspective. I have small hands but they're very strong so that gives me options in terms of what I can handle when I shoot. You really do need to try a few different sizes at the range and see what you prefer.

I tend to shoot longer slides best but I practice more with the one I have the most fun with and those are the more Compact size (15 rd capacity are my faves and 4.25" slide length or Commander in 1911 terminology).

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Wife has small hands and short fingers and handles a full size SA Range officer fine.
Thin grips, short trigger and an extended mag release from Wilson Combat.
Slide stop is easier to manipulate with your week hand thumb as you're reforming your grip after a reload! IMHO

Reactions: wrmiller
1 - 20 of 21 Posts