Henry Big Boy Steel .44 Mag Case Hardened

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by monadh, Oct 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. monadh

monadh Sapientiae Timor Domini Initium

May 8, 2012
    Good morning to all.

I have a strong interest in this Henry rifle. Does anyone have any experience with them? Ten rounds of .44 mag sound like plenty for hunting in the NC mountains.

Thanks.

2. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I have a Big Boy Steel in 44

Love it, Henry has the smoothest action of any lever gun. I also like the simplistic nature of the magazine tube. Less parts creates a more reliably feeding carbine.

LPRoad, GIJoke, budroe and 1 other person like this.

3. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Thanks Bender! How is accuracy? Do you use yours for hunting?

4. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    With the sights, 50 yards, I was getting 1.25-1.5” groups with 240gr Gold Dots

No rifle hunting here in Illinoistan, however, it will go with me on my next Georgia hog hunt.

monadh, GIJoke, Whiten and 1 other person like this.
  5. GIJoke

GIJoke A meat popsicle I am

Aug 28, 2018
    I roll with the Henry Big Boy 357 magnum and it really hits the spot! 10 rounds of 44 magnum is sure to make a point.

monadh likes this.
  6. Red-5

Red-5 Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Have three Henry's. 22, 357/38 and 30-30. The 30-30 is Color Case Hardened. It is OK looking. To be honest, if I had to do it again, for the same money would have gone with the All Weather. Black stained Walnut stocks and all metal is hard chromed.

They are all great shooters and the action is buttery smooth. Had a cosmetic issue with the 22, and did not notice until after I got home with it. Quick email to Anthony Imperato, and within 24 hours had return label and replacement rifle within a week. Now that is CS.

I just did break ranks. Bought a Winchester 92 in 44 mag. It is from a special run in White. Win 92.jpg

7. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    I have a Big Boy Steel Carbine .44 and love it. Build quality is good and follow up shots are faster than I expected given the smooth action. I’m planning an All Weather to go with it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    monadh likes this.
  8. Bender

Aug 15, 2011
    We have two Golden Boys in addition to the Big Boy steel
    A .22LR and a .22 Win Mag

monadh likes this.
  9. monadh

May 8, 2012
    Hey Dash,

Want to sell it? :)

dash likes this.
  10. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Hey Monadh, touché! :)

Have you seen the Henry color case hardened in person?

monadh likes this.
  11. monadh

May 8, 2012
    No, I haven't, but I have seen color case hardened weapons before, and they seem to look good to me. Does Henry do a good job?

12. dash

dash Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Monadh, I handled a color case hardened Henry in stock locally. The color case hardened appearance on that example was rather wavy but still attractive and nice for its price point. It wasn’t like a Turnbull finish but that wasn’t expected. The coloring combined with the polished blue barrel and attractive wood made it a looker and I’m sure it’ll be a good seller for Henry. I wasn’t after anything polished or reflective so I ordered the Big Boy Steel model.

13. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I am on the hunt for a Henry in 30-30 with peep rear sight, octagon barrel and without the fancy engravings like on this model

[​IMG]

One would think that would be a popular combination they would want to make

14. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I like the look of an octagonal barrel which is one of the reasons for the color case hardened

gun_fan111 likes this.
  15. monadh

May 8, 2012
    I bet this one was an arm and a leg.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted