1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I will be posting this in that other 1911 forum as well for widest dispersion and opinion.

I have a NOS HexTac 4.0 in 45acp. Can't get the thing to run. It either has nose-up feeding issues (nose of round goes high and jams prior to entering chamber) or round will not feed into chamber - hangs up going into chamber.

Happens with seven different mags.

Happens in middle of mag, end of mag and beginning of mag.

Sent it to a gunsmith who had built STI race guns for some famous IDPA/IPSC/etc. shooters (no, I won't name the smith or his clients)(one is, however, strikingly good looking!!) and he strongly feels the problem is the gun is "undersprung" meaning it needs a stronger recoil spring because the slide is outrunning the current spring. I have the yellow Dawson "heavy" recoil spring installed, no fix. Feed ramp is highly polished, chamber is highly polished as well.

Before I send this expensive boat anchor back to STI, would anyone have any semi-reasonable suggestions for me?

Thanks

Mike

·
ISO The Very Best 1911's
1,305 Posts
I just re-read your post and realize you have a short slide .45 ACP

On a gun with a 4" slide in 45 ACP, the best way to slow the slide is with a heavier hammer spring and a flat bottom firing pin stop. This is about $20 in parts you can try. STI guns usually have light hammer springs to give a softer pull so that may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recently bought the same model. The hammer spring is noticeably heavy. Not many rounds yet, but, no problems so far. I was thinking of lightening the hammer spring, maybe not? :)

Newt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted this on the "other" 1911 forum but will repeat here as well:

Extractor tension checked perfectly using Wilson Combat extractor test (loose round shaking thing).

Re-tested today with a different recoil spring, purchased from Dawson. They call it the "heavy" recoil spring and it's painted yellow. Not only did it not feed, but now the mags are falling out of the gun during firing. Happened with several mags.

I give up.

Calling STI on Monday; whether or not they approve a return, it's going back to them. Far as I'm concerned this is a very expensive boat anchor and if they don't want to fix the myriad issues with this they can keep it.

Yeah, I'm not a happy camper right now.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
You forgot to mention the post before that from our esteemed Texas Ranger member Trace:

I would say lets meet at a range and let me take a look at it, since you are here in the Fort Worth area. I'm not a gunsmith, but I've been shooting these things long enough that I can generally figure out whats wrong with them and hopefully point you in the right direction. As mentioned above, it does sound like the extractor or the feed lips are not keeping your rounds under tension/control.

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
260 Posts
I would have just sent it to the factory from the get go.
This. After spending that much on a pistol, I would immediately return it to the manufacturer rather than a third party. Mostly because it should be no charge to fix it and so that they can’t deny a warranty claim because an unapproved smith laid hands on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This. After spending that much on a pistol, I would immediately return it to the manufacturer rather than a third party. Mostly because it should be no charge to fix it and so that they can’t deny a warranty claim because an unapproved smith laid hands on it.
Mr Berf, you are spot on - except this gunsmith is somewhat of an STI expert (see my previous post) and since he's worked a previous STI Eagle that wouldn't run for me either there's a trust factor. I mean, there are all kinds of internet stories of spotty STI customer support/service, and I personally know this gunsmith. He laid eyes on it and fondled it, but he did not "work" on it other than to give his opinion based on his experience with the brand.

It goes back to STI tomorrow with or without an RMI. They fix it or they keep it - at this point I'll eat the money, but the gun is worthless as it stands right now.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about the whole thing.

·
shooter of guns, petter of dogs
260 Posts
Yeah in no way was I saying your guy isn’t top notch! It would just be disappointing to have them deny you any future returns because of it. I too have heard stories of them being spotty on warranty work. Hope they sort you out proper!

My STI slide won’t lock back with one of the mecgar mags it came with. Waiting on a Wilson mag before I take any more drastic steps....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all. The talk about STI's customer service being fast was spot on - got my gun back today.
In speaking with the gentleman who worked on the gun, he found all manner of issues:
1 Throated chamber - was too tight
2 Polished and "adjusted" (his words) feed ramp
3 Found slide stop was being bumped by nose of live rounds (as someone here suggested) and adjusted same
4 Replaced mag release spring - someone at factory had cut some coils off the original spring
5 Adjusted extractor tension.
6 Original 10 round mag was "a piece of junk" (again, his words) so they replaced it with the newer 11 round mag.

Phew!

Will shoot it as soon as I can and report back. I was impressed with the speed of their service and hope this works.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I tried to shoot this thing yesterday. Emphasis on the word "tried."

Mags still falling out of the pistol when firing. No, my grip was NOT the cause. Actually had my wife take a picture of my grip, and even if my hand was nearby the mag release is too stiff to actuate unintentionally.

When the mags were reinserted, the after firing the last round in the magazine the empty would hit me in the head. Typically the forehead, to be specific, but somewhere on my head.

I examined the slide stop and there's a brass/copper colored mark running vertically along the slide stop lobe so that tells me the nose of the rounds are still hitting it.

Back to STI it goes. Hopefully they will send yet another RMA, if not, it's still going back.

Looking for some good news out of all this? Still no toilet paper or groceries on the Kroger shelves here. Hysteria and media hype lives!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts