Hey can I borrow your brand new, un-boxed......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tamo18, Apr 26, 2019.

1. tamo18

tamo18 Member

Feb 5, 2018
    The wife and I just moved south to the Bradenton, Florida area. We're just around the corner from her older sister or my sister in law (ouch). Anyway we purchased, among other things a brand new power washer. I've been too busy to even take it out of the box and assemble it yet let alone use it. To make a long story short my sister in law saw it and asked if she and her husband could borrow it sometime. So my wife said yes, what else is she going to say. So after a week or so it's still in the box, still brand new, still unassembled and unused. So here it comes, the sister asks if she can use it now since we haven't used it yet and it's just sitting there gathering dust. I don't know how anybody else would react but I was appalled. Who asks to use a brand new, unboxed, unassembled $350.00 tool/machine before the purchaser has a chance to use it?? I always enjoyed putting a new tool/machine together and learning how to use it. Also I purchased a new item because I didn't want to buy something used. I told her "No" i'm going to use it first. Ever since then every time I see her, which is daily, she makes comments about how much her home needs power washing. I'm ready to loose my $#!+ with this woman, who even does this crap, anybody else have a demanding sister in law or relative in general that pulls this crap?? Unbelievable!!!

2. danc1996

danc1996 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2016
    This is about to be an interesting thread... but i can understand why you'd want to be the first one to use the machine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

blamo, xerts1191 and Greg6640 like this.

3. Bender

Bender Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Aug 15, 2011
    I dont loan weapons, vehicles or tools.

4. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    You ever gonna use it? Or are you keeping it as a collectable?

5. Howe45acp

Howe45acp Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2017
    I can completely understand where you’re coming from. My sister is actually worse then that...I won’t go into details. Stand your ground! If she gets to use this new in box pressure washer, what will she ask to use next?
    Good luck!

Colorado Sonny likes this.
  6. InstiGator

InstiGator Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2019
    If I loan anything out, be it money, tools, or whatever, in my mind it's a gift because I naturally assume I'll never get it back. If I'm not willing to give it away I don't loan it.

7. cherokee2u

cherokee2u Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    I have loaned tools to my brother before. Somehow before he returns them, they becomes his LOL. Don't loan out any tools anymore.

BTW there is an outstanding forum member in Bradenton... @Old Rasputin. I "borrowed" a Wilson Combat Commander from him :joyful:

Colorado Sonny and Old Rasputin like this.
  8. ZArugby

ZArugby Kickin back a little Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2016
    ^^^^ I'm with InstiGator all the way !!!

UBOATDOC likes this.
  9. TheCollector

TheCollector Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2018
    "Borrower nor a lender be" ............... actually, I only apply that to family.... because they are the ones who care the least about your shi............ stuff.

Eric and Mike Meints like this.
  10. vhntr1

vhntr1 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2019
    My dad told me many years ago before I ever got married make sure you never live close to your in-laws !

B81, Journeyman1234, KTXdm9 and 4 others like this.
  11. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Some people are loan worthy. Some things i never loan to anyone. Only a few exceptions, my sons and my brother in law who is also a best freind.

Journeyman1234 and Hairtrigger like this.
  12. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    Another is when people want to borrow your pick up truck. The last person that asked my for the use of my truck had their own truck but didn't want to risk getting any scratches on theirs. (mine is very nice and also old)

13. unclebuck5

unclebuck5 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    Just say no, when it coomes to trcks and chainsaws.

14. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    Lie. Tell her it hasn’t been assembled yet because it’s missing some vital part. You’re still arguing with the retailer (or manufacturer) about retuning it or having them replace the missing part.

Alternatively: No. Go pound sand.

blamo, nikerret, DMiller and 4 others like this.
  15. Renegade4006

Renegade4006 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Come to a compromise with yourself and get some beer in the process. Tell her you want to use it first to make sure everything is working correctly. Since she needs her house power washed (her whole house???) offer her your compromise: Tell her you will work with her husband to power wash the house. They pay for any and all cleaners and soaps. They also pay for a couple or three cases of the beer of your choice.

You get to check out your new power washer, you get to spend some "man-time" with your brother-in-law, and you get beer. This way you also instill the idea in her head that stuff isn't free.

And make it very clear that the beer is on-site before a drop of pressurized water leaves the spray nozzle.

KTXdm9 likes this.
  16. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    I lived 3 blocks away from my 1st inlaws,,,,,huge mistake and because I worked on cars not only were they always asking me to fix things but I KID YOU NOT, their relatives would visit from out of state and bring parts for me to install or fix their cars with!

17. john_anch_ak

john_anch_ak Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Mar 7, 2017
    I moved to Alaska to get away from my bum relatives and you moved next door to yours?

Who does something like that? Relatives, that's who. Or clueless ding dong females.

I stopped loaning tools to anyone a long time ago. Before that, every time I loaned a tool it came back dirty as hell or broken with no offering of getting it fixed or replaced.

Give her the phone number of a tool rental store and tell her to have fun.

BigJimP and tac45 like this.
  18. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    I would put it together, and try it out on said sister in law. Have no idea why I am still single... :)

19. Joni Lynn

Joni Lynn Professional Pest, NRA Patron member

Dec 21, 2014
    I have family that have asked several time to borrow a few rifles in suitable calibers for groundhog duties. I don't loan those either. I loaned my air rifle several years ago for a 'few weeks' and it's obviously never coming back.

20. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Never lend anything if you expect to get it back in perfect condition, lending is one degree away from a gift.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted