Hey! I can see my front sight!

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Greg45acp, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Greg45acp

Greg45acp Double Secret Banned

Oct 31, 2016
    I purchased a TRP back in January at a stoopid low price (thanks Gunjoker) and I saved enough money on it that I've been swapping out the parts I don't like (or trust) for what I prefer.

A few range sessions had me rather happy with the function of this pistol, but I just could not warm up to the fake Novak sights. The rear sight in particular was too tall IMHO and the rear notch was too tight. They were fine for precision, but I struggled to find the front blade in anything less than bright sunlight.

For background, I'm 53 and I wear contacts to fix my nearsightedness. Aging eyes, and my prescription combine to make sight selection tricky.

I really like the 10-8 rear sight with the .140 U-notch. I have those on a couple of 1911s. Today I mounted the Heinie Ledge rear sight on the TRP. (keeping the OEM front tritium sight)

https://www.heinie.com/1911-500x65-ledge/

Ledge.jpeg
    Ledge2.jpeg

The rear notch is wide. .156 is the biggest I've tried, but the front sight blade is nice and sharp and easy to find. Even walking around inside my house, pointing the empty pistol into corners and unlit rooms the front blade is still well defined.

I have not put rounds downrange with this rear sight yet, but I'm really happy with the vast improvement in front sight clarity and speed of acquisition.

(They also mount in an innovative way but that is of secondary importance)

TLDR: If you are experiencing difficulty finding that front sight, try a wider rear notch.

theJanitor, isialk, azpoolguy and 9 others like this.
  2. Greg45acp

Oct 31, 2016
    Update: I put a 100 rounds down range and the POA/POI is as follows. (230 gr. American Igle)

3-7 yards. The front dot will be your POI.
    10-15 = top of the front sight blade = POI
    20 = lower 2/3rds hold on 8” bull gets hits in the center.

I ran out of ammo at this point but I prefer this to the 6 o’clock hold the stock .375 rear required.

isialk, Kip and MDP like this.

3. isialk

isialk Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jan 7, 2017
    Thanks Greg for the report. I’ve got a TRP also. In ten years older than you with bifocals. I struggle to pick up the front sight as well. I feel like it’s because the rear tritium is so bright I see it first and then tend to concentrate on it. I was thinking of blacking it out with marker first to see if that helped my acquisition but maybe I should just change it out.

4. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    Your problem may not be the rear sight. If you can’t get a clear picture of the front sight get a prescription for a separate pair of shooting glasses that allow it. I wear bifocals, have astigmatism and needed a pair of glasses that have a magnification of approximately 1.5; my ophthalmologist wrote the script and I took it to Costco for polycarbonate lenses - success.

og556 likes this.
  5. theJanitor

theJanitor Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2014
    I was in the same boat, with terrible vision. I could get specific glasses made, but they would be useless for any gun that I deemed to be a defensive tool. To that end, I went with a RMR. I could reliably shoot stuff without my bifocals, in low-ish light

Bloodhound and Greg45acp like this.
  6. Greg45acp

Oct 31, 2016
    When I shoot matches I wear a pair of safety glasses that are .5 or .75 magnification (depends on the lighting) They make the front sight super clear at the expense of a fuzzier target at 20 yards plus.

I’m going to talk to my optometrist about a pair of shooting glasses to hopefully have a clear front sight and a neutral lenses for my left eye (for target clarity)

With all that being said, the stock rear sight was worthless to me and the Heinie is a huge improvement.

7. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2018
    I did something similar to my TRP, and added a Trijicon HD front sight. With the bright Orange ring on the front sight, and a wider notched rear sight (All blacked out) it made a huge difference.
    On the factory TRP sight, I added some white paint, until I got the HD front installed. I use gold, white, yellow, orange, and lime green... The color contrast is a huge improvement over just the plain black serrated tritium front.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted