1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 1911 folks! I’m a college student who’s always loved shooting and particularly enjoyed shooting 1911s and revolvers. I guess I enjoy the heft and the steel. My mother has a Springfield 1911 in 10mm she said I could keep if I manage to find what’s wrong with it. I used it once with her and I can tell you it was the best day of shooting I’ve had. I hate to already ask for help, but it’s something y’all probably know immediately.

The magazines which came with it (Springfield 9 round 10mm) seem to be rubbing or catching when loaded with ammo. When dropping the mag, they don’t come out freely, I either have to pull it out really hard or push it out through the breach. If they’re empty mags, zero problems. Are they bad magazines? Do I need to go buy Wilson combat mags? What’s going on?

In the meantime, I’m gunna go look at everyone’s pieces. Glad to be here

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Welcome from Illinois, I’d try a better quality magazine for starters. If they insert and eject fine while empty, but not full, that seems the logical starting point. Many experts here so maybe post separately in the gunsmithing section so more people see your question.

·
Premium Member
27,443 Posts
Hello 1911 folks! I’m a college student who’s always loved shooting and particularly enjoyed shooting 1911s and revolvers. I guess I enjoy the heft and the steel. My mother has a Springfield 1911 in 10mm she said I could keep if I manage to find what’s wrong with it. I used it once with her and I can tell you it was the best day of shooting I’ve had. I hate to already ask for help, but it’s something y’all probably know immediately.

The magazines which came with it (Springfield 9 round 10mm) seem to be rubbing or catching when loaded with ammo. When dropping the mag, they don’t come out freely, I either have to pull it out really hard or push it out through the breach. If they’re empty mags, zero problems. Are they bad magazines? Do I need to go buy Wilson combat mags? What’s going on?

Sounds as if the mag bodies are weak.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

·
Registered
359 Posts

Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts