1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Para’s were hit and miss but mostly miss. I have one that I thought was a good gun until I actually bought a good gun. Money is probably better spent elsewhere. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
I used to run a Para P16-40 Limited in USPSA Limited division. It was an older CANADIAN built Para and it was a great shooter. The mag's were a bit finicky trying to stuff 20 rounds in...but after mixing/matching followers and springs, I got the right combination and didn't have any issues with Dawson extensions.

The older CANADIAN manufactured pistols were pretty good....the later one's from the US not so much...and the more recent one's from Remington (after they bought out Para) had a host of issues......

For a double stack...they are HEAVY....hence the better recoil....BUT, they are also a touch wider than STI's double stacks and mag's are "proprietary"....you need to run Para mag's because the mag catch cut out is located in a different location than STI or SVI mag's. This can be fixed with a mag catch specifically for STI/SVI mag's that an aftermarket manufacturer made (can't recall the brand)....

Not a bad entry-level budget competition gun....In my opinion....but I would say a good used STI would suit you much better....

Reactions: fallenangelhim

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have three of the older Canadian models. Two in .40 S&W and one in .45 ACP. No problems with any of them so far but only have a few hundred rounds through any of them. Too early to tell but so far so good.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
The Canadian ones are good to go. Like mentioned above. I would not touch one of the Remington "bought out " ones.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I can’t really comment on good Para’s vs bad Para’s, they say they’re hit and miss but I’m guessing magazines are probably the biggest culprit plus you know how it goes, there are way more people that post up issues than there is people posting up that their pistols are just fine. I’m not really seeing a weight issue either, my P14-45 weighs 38.5oz and my 5” Springfield 1911-A1 weighs 38oz, both without a magazine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts