1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You Don’t Know Me!
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I've been using Bayou's hytek bullets for years and really like them.
Tried others but always come back to Bayou's
9mm can be problematic but can be done without leading.
Usually its to much crimp

Reactions: Dub and Snakebill

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
I’ve run Hi Tek coated bullets at 1400 FPS in my open gun with no barrel leading. I did get some leading in the comp. In normal guns no problems. The guy who makes BnB bullets is in my shooting club so I have been able to try a lot of different weights and shapes. That Hi Tek coating has really changed the game. Just don’t cut the coating with the crimp and make sure that the bullet is made of quality lead or whatever they call it and the coating is applied correctly.

·
Turgid member
575 Posts
Hi-Tek really is that good IMO. For dangerous game on hard cast or for plinking it gets it done cleanly and efficiently.
For urban defense I will press modern hollow points into action but that's it.

Reactions: Snakebill

·
Registered
133 Posts
A couple questions on the subject.

When you are loading for the higher velocities, what load data are you using? My books don't have entries for lead bullets at those velocities. Are you using jacketed data or does it need adjustment?

Are they also suitable for full power rifle loads. I see missouri makes 30-30 coated bullets. Can these be loaded to 1900fps as a typical 30-30 jacketed load would or do they need to be reduced?

·
I wanna go fast!
183 Posts
The load that I was using is for an open gun using 7.0 grains of Autocomp. For 9 major you could load data for 9X21. The loads need to be worked up slowly over a chronograph. I don't know anything about cast bullet loads for a rifle.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Shooting 115 grain out of my 32-20 @ 1550 fps. good accuracy and no problems. Its a Contender, so the barrel bore is .308. 1250 out of the 44 mag is no problem.

1600 out of my 308, same bullet.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts