1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on which manufacturer (production or semi-custom) makes a government model .45ACP that gives the highest grip. By visiting various manufacturers websites I see several that advertise a "high cut". My understanding is that a "high cut" is created by an undercut behind the trigger housing and placement of the beavertail. Are they all the same cut? I understand that you can get just about anything you want in a full custom but I'm not going that route. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I personally like how Wilson’s and NHs fit my hand and I prefer a very high grip. I believe alchemy claims to have the highest grip and the one I had was very high

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
No, they are not all the same. There is not a standard of measurement and it is subjective, so you really just have to go by how it looks (or even better, how it feels in your hand).

Alchemy has to have the highest undercut going. It feels exceptional in my hand.

·
resident crank
1,979 Posts
And even the high cuts are not all created equal with regard to how the undercut is made. Some of the Colt undercuts for instance, are *high*, but the contours are not comfortable to my grip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally like how Wilson’s and NHs fit my hand and I prefer a very high grip. I believe alchemy claims to have the highest grip and the one I had was very high
I have handled a Wilson and it seemed to have a grip that was a nice fit for me but I haven't shot one. From you perspective, how is the Alchemy grip contour different from the Wilson and NH? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for you comment regarding the Colt. I should be able to find one to shoot at a local range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, they are not all the same. There is not a standard of measurement and it is subjective, so you really just have to go by how it looks (or even better, how it feels in your hand).

Alchemy has to have the highest undercut going. It feels exceptional in my hand.
Alchemy seems to have a good following and for my first .45ACP I'm going to need all the control I can get. They're scarce as hen's teeth!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When I build a gun or re fit one I cut the area at the trigger guard and take metal off the GS to make the whole grip easier and comfortable to get as high as possible.
I have large hands with a lot of meat on them, on my personal guns I can fell the slide every so slightly moving.
That's mostly due to the meat that hangs over the GS. When my wife shoots the same gun she feels nothing but the high grip helps her with the control of the gun. FWIW

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Ruger=0 , Springfield=0, Dan Wesson=0, Baer is high cut but not under cut....more of a right angle. Same with Guncrafter. Alchemy's looks really nice and high with a big under cut but I haven't tried one yet.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Ed Brown is about the only one who does not do it. Sad. I would have liked to have bought one of their guns.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,739 Posts
Rob at Alchemy offers the highest cut out there period that I'm aware of, and the gun fits your hand like a glove. It honestly amazes me how many you see come up for sale.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts