High Standard Sport King SK-100

Discussion in 'Autoloaders' started by Spur1911, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Spur1911

Spur1911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2016
    Just bought one as a Good Friday impulse purchase. A big Houston gun store was doing a really good storewide sale, which I have never seen there before. 20% all stock in a very early morning window.

Anyway, this 60 year old gun (HS SK-100) is having failure to feed issues and I'm sure some of you have this pistol or something very similar.

I know the magazine and ammo are critical to smooth feeding and 22 LR rounds can be all over the map on performance and reliability depending on the pistol. There is no feed ramp for this pistol.

Long story short. My magazine looks to be pretty old and the rear lips on the magazine likely need some tuning (I have a tool for this process). My rounds are feeding high when I have a FTF. My trial and error process seems to show that copper plated rounds work better than lead.

Questions:

1) Would you please recommend a good ammo? I have seen that standard velocity ammo is recommended for these pistols, but my standard velo stuff is all lead bullets which seems to be problematic (they get cut and gouged to easily when going into battery).

2) Is high velocity ammo (1200 to 1280 FPS initial) not a good idea to use on this pistol? The Sport King (version 2) I believe was built in the late 1950s. I don't want to break the gun needlessly, but it seems like the gun is very well built. Copper plated ammo is common for the 1200 FPS rounds I see at the store.

3) Recommended replacement magazines (HS non-military)? I have seen a couple of options out there with Triple K being very available. Is this one good enough or is a there a better option? I have a magazine tuning tool now as well to get it working right. I am not very sure about the manufacturer of the supplied mag I currently have. The key thing here (I think) is having a well built magazine that will perform when it is correctly tuned.

4) The firing pin on this pistol does not appear to be spring driven - it seems to be loose in the slide. Is the firing pin supposed to be that way?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

2. jfbong1911

jfbong1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2018
    You need to tune the lips on the magazine . The front of the magazine has typically parallel lips that guide cartridge toward chamber. The rear lips are radiused to keep the cartridge in the magazine. When fed the slide will push the rear of the cartridge forward. The front of the rear/radiused feedlip is what controls 99% of how cartridge will feed/chamber. I typically only have to adj/bend those front feed lips. Opening/spreading controls how high bullet will enter the chamber. Open to wide and it will be too high or flip out. To narrow/closed and feefing is too low. Trial and error adjustments will get you there. Just a little at a time.

Spur1911 likes this.

3. jfbong1911

jfbong1911 Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Aug 18, 2018
    Firing pin should have a spring

Spur1911 likes this.
  4. Spur1911

May 30, 2016
    Thanks! The firing pin thing was bugging me so I need to look into that as well.

The pistol itself is a nice solid chunk of steel. I can see why the US Military utilized the H-S in some specific applications.

5. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Stick with the SV stuff, CCI SV is usuall pretty good, a steady diet of HV ammo can cause a frame crack at the cut-out for the slide release. After that, you pretty much have a funny looking paper weight. This was a design flaw that HS never did get around to correcting.

Do NOT waste your money on Triple K mags, they're pure crap, and either won't work at all, or at best, will work when and if they damn well feel like it. And did I mention that they're crap? Brownel's occasionally has new HS ones in stock, and Numrich Arms is another possibility. There's a specific technique for tuning the mag lips, with specific dimensions, I have it around somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and get a copy to you. You might also check out the HS sub-forum over at Rimfire Central, I was able to get lots of good info on my later model Sport King-M.

Yours is a lot older than mine, but it seems like it should still have a firing pin spring. Again, Brownel's is worth a look, I got a spring kit for mine there right after I got it.

Like I said, I've got a lot of HS info around, I think it's on another computer, I'll do some digging tomorrow and send what I can find. Too bad I didn't see your earlier post before you bought yours, I'd probably be willing to sell mine, I almost never shoot it. Later.

Dave

Spur1911 likes this.
  6. Spur1911

May 30, 2016
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. If you run across additional info, feel free to forward.

I think I need to locate Copper plated SV ammo, which should be available from one of the big ammo manufactures so I don't stress out the frame or the slide. I'm getting a spring installed on the firing pin as well.

I think I'll look for a non Triple K magazine once I get pistol back from the FP spring install. After that I'll run some STD velocity ammo....

7. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Haven't had a chance to start digging, but will get to it at some point today. As to the copper washed ammo, it really doesn't make the bullet surface that much harder, and as long as the mags are adjusted properly, it doesn't matter anyway. Not to mention, but I have, literally, an even dozen different SV cartridges on hand, including match ammo, all of it is plain lead. More later.

Dave

8. Spur1911

May 30, 2016
  9. daved20319

daved20319 Active Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Spur1911 likes this.
  10. Spur1911

May 30, 2016
    Thank you. This looks great!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted