1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
The wood is soft and the tree is homely but the figure is quite nice. I’m picturing the grips finished with oil or a satin urethane - very sharp.

Reactions: Highfiguregrips

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
That is correct. I tried it one time and that was the last time. The diamonds never come to a sharp point.
I've put sharp diamonds on fir. Flood the wood with 50/50 acetone/CA glue (outside) . Dry for 1/2 hour or so. Make a pass in each direction and flood again. Repeat until done. Do a final flood with full strength thin CA mopped in with a pipecleaner and dry for a high gloss finish. A final very light pass with a fine cutter will reduce the gloss if desired.

I routinely topcoat with CA when I re-cut the checkering on trap guns (which typically have a high gloss finish). The checkering grips like broken glass and
wears like iron relative to untreated checkering, which is important since you can only do a limited number of recuts without recessing the panel.

·
Vendor
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've put sharp diamonds on fir. Flood the wood with 50/50 acetone/CA glue (outside) . Dry for 1/2 hour or so. Make a pass in each direction and flood again. Repeat until done. Do a final flood with full strength thin CA mopped in with a pipecleaner and dry for a high gloss finish. A final very light pass with a fine cutter will reduce the gloss if desired.

I routinely topcoat with CA when I re-cut the checkering on trap guns (which typically have a high gloss finish). The checkering grips like broken glass and
wears like iron relative to untreated checkering, which is important since you can only do a limited number of recuts without recessing the panel.
Interesting process for sure

1 - 16 of 16 Posts