1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
If you ever offer classes in checkering grips, I'm your first student . . .

Reactions: Highfiguregrips

·
Vendor
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you ever offer classes in checkering grips, I'm your first student . . .
You bet! You should see the pile of screwed up grips I have. I find if I am not paying attention, I can run off course quickly. If you ever want to get into it, start on flat pieces of wood, great practice.

Thank you!

Jon

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Damn those are gorgeous- trying to resist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,009 Posts
What do use for a finish - oil, varnish, lacquer?

·
14,799 Posts
You bet! You should see the pile of screwed up grips I have. I find if I am not paying attention, I can run off course quickly. If you ever want to get into it, start on flat pieces of wood, great practice.

Thank you!

Jon
20191103_205630.jpg

20191103_214056.jpg

20191103_221408.jpg

20191103_221422.jpg

I hear you. Transitioning to curved surfaces has been my major stumbling block . . .

All I can say is anyone contemplating getting Jon's checkered grips, you are getting a HELL of a bargain for the value added by the effort and skill involved with his checkering. Well worth his asking price and more.

Zoid

·
Vendor
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do use for a finish - oil, varnish, lacquer?
For my checkered and matte oil grips, I use an oil called Odies oil. Wipe it on let sit for up to two hours , than wipe off. It sets up harder in a few days. For semi gloss grips, I use a precat lacquer.

·
Vendor
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 396473

View attachment 396475

View attachment 396477

View attachment 396479

I hear you. Transitioning to curved surfaces has been my major stumbling block . . .

All I can say is anyone contemplating getting Jon's checkered grips, you are getting a HELL of a bargain for the value added by the effort and skill involved with his checkering. Well worth his asking price and more.

Zoid
Thanks for the compliments.

I am thrilled to see you are well into it. The lines sure look straight and the checkering sharp.

I don't know if you have one, Ramelson has a single line carbide checkering tool. What is nice about it is that it is 5/8" long and stays sharp for a while. The 5/8" length works very well at straightening crooked lines.

·
14,799 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

I am thrilled to see you are well into it. The lines sure look straight and the checkering sharp.

I don't know if you have one, Ramelson has a single line carbide checkering tool. What is nice about it is that it is 5/8" long and stays sharp for a while. The 5/8" length works very well at straightening crooked lines.

I will have to investigate Ramelson. I haven't heard of that brand.

I have been using cutters that I think are hobby grade. Its really difficult to find good instructional information out there. Even UberTube is light on content.

I need to get back to practicing with the cutters I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts