1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Consider my signature line before replying . . . .
14,799 Posts
If you ever offer classes in checkering grips, I'm your first student . . .

Reactions: Highfiguregrips

·
Vendor
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you ever offer classes in checkering grips, I'm your first student . . .
You bet! You should see the pile of screwed up grips I have. I find if I am not paying attention, I can run off course quickly. If you ever want to get into it, start on flat pieces of wood, great practice.

Thank you!

Jon

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Damn those are gorgeous- trying to resist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
5,017 Posts
What do use for a finish - oil, varnish, lacquer?

·
14,799 Posts
You bet! You should see the pile of screwed up grips I have. I find if I am not paying attention, I can run off course quickly. If you ever want to get into it, start on flat pieces of wood, great practice.

Thank you!

Jon
Textile Red Flooring Pink Floor

Textile Colorfulness Creative arts Thread Craft

Textile Red Pattern Rectangle Home accessories

Brown Textile Red Pattern Knitting

I hear you. Transitioning to curved surfaces has been my major stumbling block . . .

All I can say is anyone contemplating getting Jon's checkered grips, you are getting a HELL of a bargain for the value added by the effort and skill involved with his checkering. Well worth his asking price and more.

Zoid

·
Vendor
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do use for a finish - oil, varnish, lacquer?
For my checkered and matte oil grips, I use an oil called Odies oil. Wipe it on let sit for up to two hours , than wipe off. It sets up harder in a few days. For semi gloss grips, I use a precat lacquer.

·
Vendor
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 396473

View attachment 396475

View attachment 396477

View attachment 396479

I hear you. Transitioning to curved surfaces has been my major stumbling block . . .

All I can say is anyone contemplating getting Jon's checkered grips, you are getting a HELL of a bargain for the value added by the effort and skill involved with his checkering. Well worth his asking price and more.

Zoid
Thanks for the compliments.

I am thrilled to see you are well into it. The lines sure look straight and the checkering sharp.

I don't know if you have one, Ramelson has a single line carbide checkering tool. What is nice about it is that it is 5/8" long and stays sharp for a while. The 5/8" length works very well at straightening crooked lines.

·
14,799 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

I am thrilled to see you are well into it. The lines sure look straight and the checkering sharp.

I don't know if you have one, Ramelson has a single line carbide checkering tool. What is nice about it is that it is 5/8" long and stays sharp for a while. The 5/8" length works very well at straightening crooked lines.

I will have to investigate Ramelson. I haven't heard of that brand.

I have been using cutters that I think are hobby grade. Its really difficult to find good instructional information out there. Even UberTube is light on content.

I need to get back to practicing with the cutters I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts