Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
We Are!
2,826 Posts
Hopefully ‘tis okay to post a link to the “other” 1911 discussion forum here:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=957570#/topics/957570

Personally, I think they are nice holsters but the examples I’ve seen were a little low-riding to my taste, with the caveat being I am no Rhodesian holster expert by any stretch.

Reactions: Leadslinger585

·
Pearl Pimp
2,665 Posts

·
We Are!
2,826 Posts
Thanks for the link, sir.
You’re most welcome!

A couple of years ago when I attended a “Single Stack Challenge” match at a local range, one of the guys there had a rough-out Rhodesian-style holster with (IIRC) matching mag pouches and belt. Very nice setup. I recall asking about his 1911 as it was sporting Gunsite “Raven” grips. I wish I’d asked him if his holster was a Rhybka model or from another maker.

Reactions: Kip

·
Pearl Pimp
2,665 Posts
Saw a thread about a fella who recently got a pair of Rhodesian holsters

In it, Cop-Out says,

And I was curious: what's the mystique? How is it different from the speed scabbard? Why the name "Rhodesian holster"?
A google search will provide some background and pics of these interesting holsters. Thad Rybka is generally credited with the design, and some folks give a nod to another gent whose name is escaping me; Vidar Nakling maybe?

In addition to the previous posters link you can find another interesting article here:
http://www.thegunmag.com/new-1911-holster-born-old-rhodesian-battles/

Also, this is an interesting thread on the Rhodesian holster, including comparison photos from various makers:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=892458

The holsters were being retailed by Rafter-L under the name "Selous Scout", although I don't think he is taking orders for them anymore. In the product description he has a bit of history on the holster and its usage, which you can view here:
http://www.combatgunleather.com/holsters

In case you didn't know, the Selous Scouts were part of the Rhodesian army during the so-called Bush war, and operated from like 1973 to 1980.

Best,
c

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Now, indeed, what’s not to love about some bearded, beret-wearing, FAL-toting, anti-Commie a$$-kickers?! :)

View attachment 248903
Not to mention shorts and tennis shoes ! No heavy leather boots, but rather lightweight canvas high tops. Kind of like today’s “new and improved” desert boots.

The Selous Scouts took bush-warfare spec- and psy-ops to a new level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
We Are!
2,826 Posts
I'm going to show my age a bit, but I recall seeing this poster circa 1980 maybe? Having served in Africa, it was too hot for my taste and I had little desire to return. :geek:
View attachment 248909
Used to see that in the golden days of “Soldier of Fortune” magazine!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have one and it is a really nice holster for the range or some informal competition. But the 1AT is a similar design but conceals better by pulling the butt in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found this interesting tidbit on the Rafter-L website: http://www.combatgunleather.com/holsters

He calls his holster the selous scout, but it's basically the same near as I can tell.

This holster has always been an intriguing design to me and comes with great history, so I decided to offer it.

During the middle 1970’s the nation of Rhodesia fought a war against communist backed insurgents attempting to over throw the white controlled government. During this conflict a number of foreign nationals enlisted in the Rhodesian Army to help resist the communist backed terrorist forces. Among the American and European mercenary soldiers serving with the Rhodesian, both the P35 Browning and M1911 pistol were very popular. Do to the embargo imposed upon Rhodesia concerning arms and related equipment, many items were produced locally in country. Vidar Nakling of Norway handmade holsters, belts and magazine pouches for his buddies in the Rhodesian forces. Using Kudu hide, he carefully produced very functional rigs that were highly favored by not only the troops, but his IPSC shooting buddies in Rhodesia. The holster design used by Vidar Nakling was very much like the popular Sickinger brand combat holster made in West Germany that used two pieces of leather sewn together to form a weld in both the front and back. Vidar made his holster with much less belt loop drop versus the Sickinger design. I remember Andy Langley using his Vitar Nakling " Rhodesian" rig with great success on the range. It was a favorite of many of the 'Selous Scouts' that made-up Rhodesia's most elite counter terror unit. Andy Langley’s 'Rhodesian' holster rig was stolen from him during his time working the protective detail business in Central America. He was very bitter about the loss of his 'Vidar Rhodesian rig'.

Thad Rybka began making his version of this design holster called the 'Rhodesian' in the 80s. Rybka's holsters are top quality and still in high demand.

Recently, my friend John Markwell took his well-worn and ready to be put out to pasture Rybka 'Rhodesian' holster to Erik to ask him to re-create the Rhodesian. Erik has done a masterful job; his final product is superb....my every day 1911 rides in one of the first ones Erik Little produced and was presented to me at the 2016 SHOT Show. I think Erik has hit this one out of the park. It is a must have item if you are a 1911 fan.

~Ken Hackathorn

·
Banned
288 Posts
OK, I expect to get flamed for this, but the adoration of the Selous Scouts is just dumb. I hate commies as much as the next guy, but the racist/apartheid government of Ian Smith was propped up by these guys, and then ultimately replaced by the thug and mass murderer Mugabe (May he burn in Hell).

Sometimes, just sometimes, people turn to communism because they see it as the least evil AVAILABLE choice. What did USA do 1964-1979 in Rhodesia to support democracy and universal suffrage? Answer: About what we did in Vietnam and Iran when it could have mattered. Pretty much zip. Uncle Ho loved USA and we left him fricking no alternative. Anyone see a pattern here? Any volunteers to die for Saudi royalty? You're prolly gonna get your chance...

If this is a good holster style, great. But let's not romanticize the total disaster that was Rhodesia/Zimbabwe or these mercs.

OK, flame away.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I don't think this is the place for this debate, but I cannot let that go. I am sure that sounds logical, given the way history is re-written by our media and universities, but let me try to explain what was really going on back then, without the flaming.

In any world war with the USSR, the southern Africa area was highly strategic. It is one of the handful of waterways along with the GIUK corridor, Dardanelles, etc. that would determine whether the West would keep open shipping lanes and win the war or the Comms would shut down shipping and possibly win. Same as WW2 -- sea keeping versus sea denial. The anti apartheid movements in southern Africa plainly had Communist members and elements an it was an unacceptable risk for the West to support those movements because they more than likely would turn out to be anti West. If there was a pro-USSR installed regime in South Africa, the West was screwed in the event of war.

You say Ho loved the US. All those movement leaders said the same thing to try to keep the US from intervening. The US learned its first lesson along these lines with Castro, who said he was a freedom fighter and future ally of the US.

It should be obvious by now that even today these tin pot movement leaders in the Arab world who claim to support democracy are full of crap. It has become painfully obvious that Western style Democrats exist in English speaking and other Romanized countries but not in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, etc. All we can do there is eliminate or contain threats. I suggest you reconsider the left wing propaganda you were fed growing up.

·
Banned
288 Posts
In any world war with the USSR, the southern Africa area was highly strategic. It is one of the handful of waterways along with the GIUK corridor, Dardanelles, etc. that would determine whether the West would keep open shipping lanes and win the war or the Comms would shut down shipping and possibly win. Same as WW2 -- sea keeping versus sea denial. The anti apartheid movements in southern Africa plainly had Communist members and elements an it was an unacceptable risk for the West to support those movements because they more than likely would turn out to be anti West. If there was a pro-USSR installed regime in South Africa, the West was screwed in the event of war.

This is an excellent example of how this kind of Strategery always comes back to bite USA in the ass. Rhodesia was so strategically important that: (a) it justified no USA response: and (b) didn't justify supporting democratic reforms?

You say Ho loved the US. All those movement leaders said the same thing to try to keep the US from intervening. The US learned its first lesson along these lines with Castro, who said he was a freedom fighter and future ally of the US.

Yes Ho loved USA--before we went all in for Colonialism. Did you expect him to love USA more than an independent Vietnam? We left Ho and the Việt Minh no choice when we ratfucked them after they did our work in WW2. Now we've done the same to SDF and greater Kurdistan, and will probably do it all over again in Saudi. It's almost like we try to pick the wrong side of the fights--e.g., overthrowing Mosaddegh in Iran in '53, and continuing to push Iranians into the arms of the mullahs.

It should be obvious by now that even today these tin pot movement leaders in the Arab world who claim to support democracy are full of crap. It has become painfully obvious that Western style Democrats exist in English speaking and other Romanized countries but not in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, etc. All we can do there is eliminate or contain threats. I suggest you reconsider the left wing propaganda you were fed growing up.
The history is there to be learned. If you believe history is propaganda, you're doomed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The history is there to be learned. If you believe history is propaganda, you're doomed.
I think what he was saying is that the 'history' is written by the victors, though in the last decade or so a rewriting of history has happened (and continues) which denigrates anything accomplished by white men/capitalist societies.

·
Registered
760 Posts
And...I encourage the study of what Mandela actually believed, the actual crimes he committed, and where SA is now after Apartheid was ejected. It really was (and is) a DIYD, DIYD'ont scenario. The Superpowers of the time fought by proxy and deals with the Devil were often made and deemed necessary.

Recent history has pallets of USD$$ flown to a hostile regime for whatever reason.
EDIT:
Also research the farmers of SA and Zimbabwe. Nobody there on any side cares about democracy or universal suffrage.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts