History of the Rhodesian Holster

Discussion in '1911 Gear' started by Leadslinger585, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Saw a thread about a fella who recently got a pair of Rhodesian holsters

In it, Cop-Out says,
    And I was curious: what's the mystique? How is it different from the speed scabbard? Why the name "Rhodesian holster"?

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  2. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    Hopefully ‘tis okay to post a link to the “other” 1911 discussion forum here:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=957570#/topics/957570

Personally, I think they are nice holsters but the examples I’ve seen were a little low-riding to my taste, with the caveat being I am no Rhodesian holster expert by any stretch.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Leadslinger585 likes this.

3. Cop_Out

Cop_Out Pearl Pimp Supporting Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks for the link, sir.

WhoIsJohnGalt? and Kip like this.
  4. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    You’re most welcome!

A couple of years ago when I attended a “Single Stack Challenge” match at a local range, one of the guys there had a rough-out Rhodesian-style holster with (IIRC) matching mag pouches and belt. Very nice setup. I recall asking about his 1911 as it was sporting Gunsite “Raven” grips. I wish I’d asked him if his holster was a Rhybka model or from another maker.

Kip likes this.
  5. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Hmm,sounds like none of us ever read anything about Rhodesian "scouts" and daydreamed..... ;)

gps man and WhoIsJohnGalt? like this.
  6. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    Now, indeed, what’s not to love about some bearded, beret-wearing, FAL-toting, anti-Commie a$$-kickers?! :)

B3A57AEF-67E8-4319-B23E-FD3C81484FB5.jpeg

7. Cop_Out

Feb 3, 2017
    A google search will provide some background and pics of these interesting holsters. Thad Rybka is generally credited with the design, and some folks give a nod to another gent whose name is escaping me; Vidar Nakling maybe?

In addition to the previous posters link you can find another interesting article here:
    http://www.thegunmag.com/new-1911-holster-born-old-rhodesian-battles/

Also, this is an interesting thread on the Rhodesian holster, including comparison photos from various makers:
    https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=892458

The holsters were being retailed by Rafter-L under the name "Selous Scout", although I don't think he is taking orders for them anymore. In the product description he has a bit of history on the holster and its usage, which you can view here:
    http://www.combatgunleather.com/holsters

In case you didn't know, the Selous Scouts were part of the Rhodesian army during the so-called Bush war, and operated from like 1973 to 1980.

Best,
    c

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    gps man, WhoIsJohnGalt? and Kip like this.
  8. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Lot of "mystique" in that area.
    But yeah,they were beyond COOL to a 15/16 year old!!
    Even the holsters have that mystery about them

WC145, gps man, Cop_Out and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cop_Out

Feb 3, 2017
    I'm going to show my age a bit, but I recall seeing this poster circa 1980 maybe? Having served in Africa, it was too hot for my taste and I had little desire to return. :geek:
    LDzpSTR.jpg

cgff, simonp, gps man and 4 others like this.
  10. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    Not to mention shorts and tennis shoes ! No heavy leather boots, but rather lightweight canvas high tops. Kind of like today’s “new and improved” desert boots.

The Selous Scouts took bush-warfare spec- and psy-ops to a new level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonp, gps man, Kip and 1 other person like this.
  11. WhoIsJohnGalt?

Feb 20, 2018
    Used to see that in the golden days of “Soldier of Fortune” magazine!

simonp, gps man, WC145 and 2 others like this.
  12. Greenrunner

Greenrunner Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    I have one and it is a really nice holster for the range or some informal competition. But the 1AT is a similar design but conceals better by pulling the butt in.

13. Leadslinger585

Leadslinger585 Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Found this interesting tidbit on the Rafter-L website: http://www.combatgunleather.com/holsters

He calls his holster the selous scout, but it's basically the same near as I can tell.

gps man, WhoIsJohnGalt? and Kip like this.
  14. I Love Guns

I Love Guns Active Member

Oct 24, 2019
    OK, I expect to get flamed for this, but the adoration of the Selous Scouts is just dumb. I hate commies as much as the next guy, but the racist/apartheid government of Ian Smith was propped up by these guys, and then ultimately replaced by the thug and mass murderer Mugabe (May he burn in Hell).

Sometimes, just sometimes, people turn to communism because they see it as the least evil AVAILABLE choice. What did USA do 1964-1979 in Rhodesia to support democracy and universal suffrage? Answer: About what we did in Vietnam and Iran when it could have mattered. Pretty much zip. Uncle Ho loved USA and we left him fricking no alternative. Anyone see a pattern here? Any volunteers to die for Saudi royalty? You're prolly gonna get your chance...

If this is a good holster style, great. But let's not romanticize the total disaster that was Rhodesia/Zimbabwe or these mercs.

OK, flame away.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    isialk and blamo like this.
  15. Greenrunner

Dec 11, 2017
    I don't think this is the place for this debate, but I cannot let that go. I am sure that sounds logical, given the way history is re-written by our media and universities, but let me try to explain what was really going on back then, without the flaming.

In any world war with the USSR, the southern Africa area was highly strategic. It is one of the handful of waterways along with the GIUK corridor, Dardanelles, etc. that would determine whether the West would keep open shipping lanes and win the war or the Comms would shut down shipping and possibly win. Same as WW2 -- sea keeping versus sea denial. The anti apartheid movements in southern Africa plainly had Communist members and elements an it was an unacceptable risk for the West to support those movements because they more than likely would turn out to be anti West. If there was a pro-USSR installed regime in South Africa, the West was screwed in the event of war.

You say Ho loved the US. All those movement leaders said the same thing to try to keep the US from intervening. The US learned its first lesson along these lines with Castro, who said he was a freedom fighter and future ally of the US.

It should be obvious by now that even today these tin pot movement leaders in the Arab world who claim to support democracy are full of crap. It has become painfully obvious that Western style Democrats exist in English speaking and other Romanized countries but not in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, etc. All we can do there is eliminate or contain threats. I suggest you reconsider the left wing propaganda you were fed growing up.

Dub, simonp and Cop_Out like this.
  16. I Love Guns

I Love Guns Active Member

Oct 24, 2019
    The history is there to be learned. If you believe history is propaganda, you're doomed.

isialk likes this.
  17. Greenrunner

Dec 11, 2017
    As expected, I wasted a lot of words. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Dub and Cop_Out like this.
  18. MajMike

MajMike Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I think what he was saying is that the 'history' is written by the victors, though in the last decade or so a rewriting of history has happened (and continues) which denigrates anything accomplished by white men/capitalist societies.

BR549er likes this.
  19. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    Good thought provoking points all.

isialk and BR549er like this.
  20. BR549er

BR549er Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    And...I encourage the study of what Mandela actually believed, the actual crimes he committed, and where SA is now after Apartheid was ejected. It really was (and is) a DIYD, DIYD'ont scenario. The Superpowers of the time fought by proxy and deals with the Devil were often made and deemed necessary.

Recent history has pallets of USD$$ flown to a hostile regime for whatever reason.
    EDIT:
    Also research the farmers of SA and Zimbabwe. Nobody there on any side cares about democracy or universal suffrage.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    Scaramouche likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted