1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm looking for a HK SP5 or clone.
I was hoping for some advice with a purchase for a gun like this.
Any advice on where to buy , how much or is it a good gun to buy.
I'm going to range tomorrow to shoot a PTR and maybe I should of waited till then but my friend that has the PTR says I'll love it. I trust his taste cause he has high end stuff and great gun collection.

My biggest questions are is the HK that much worth it to hunt it down or is a Clone made by X brand worth it. And where is best place to start search.
I would love to hear from someone that has shot one.
Thanks for any help and advice

·
Registered
363 Posts
I may not be the best guy to chime in BUT here I Go... I have a ptr and love it, but it's very ammo picky. Runs s&b like a champ! Everything else is spotty. Haven't had the chance to figure it out but I get a TON of ftf and fte failures (consistently across 5 mags) with any ammo other than s&b. It especially hates blazer.

Having said that I really enjoy shooting it lol. It is super accurate and suppresses very well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may not be the best guy to chime in BUT here I Go... I have a ptr and love it, but it's very ammo picky. Runs s&b like a champ! Everything else is spotty. Haven't had the chance to figure it out but I get a TON of ftf and fte failures (consistently across 5 mags) with any ammo other than s&b. It especially hates blazer.

Having said that I really enjoy shooting it lol. It is super accurate and suppresses very well.
Wow I would think it would be a non picky gun.
I'm going to shoot one tomorrow and will bring several brands. Glad I posted this cause it will help me with what you said.
Have you heard anything about the HK brand being picky ?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Wow I would think it would be a non picky gun.
I'm going to shoot one tomorrow and will bring several brands. Glad I posted this cause it will help me with what you said.
Have you heard anything about the HK brand being picky ?
I'm a FAR cry from a gunsmith but the roller lock system is a little Greek to me. With a lot of the forum snooping I've done when I was trying to make the same decision your working on now I gained that there are a lot of us roller lock noobs. So I have taken a lot of what I read with a grain of salt. Most of the time I've read about guys having a similar issue to mine it is a "simple" fix. I just haven't taken the time to dive down that rabbit hole. It runs flawlessly with s&b (115, 124 and 147 grain) and that's been my preferred plinking brand so I've been lazy about getting around to it. I've read several places that ptr has taken care of the issues without question and are a great group to deal with. I never intend to use it as a HD or SHTF gun just as a toy. So again, I'm happy with mine and will some day get around to making it run 100%, but I wouldn't personally shell out the extra cash for the HK brand just for the name. Just my .02

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a FAR cry from a gunsmith but the roller lock system is a little Greek to me. With a lot of the forum snooping I've done when I was trying to make the same decision your working on now I gained that there are a lot of us roller lock noobs. So I have taken a lot of what I read with a grain of salt. Most of the time I've read about guys having a similar issue to mine it is a "simple" fix. I just haven't taken the time to dive down that rabbit hole. It runs flawlessly with s&b (115, 124 and 147 grain) and that's been my preferred plinking brand so I've been lazy about getting around to it. I've read several places that ptr has taken care of the issues without question and are a great group to deal with. I never intend to use it as a HD or SHTF gun just as a toy. So again, I'm happy with mine and will some day get around to making it run 100%, but I wouldn't personally shell out the extra cash for the HK brand just for the name. Just my .02

Ok that makes sense and I appreciate the extra info for me to research. I might call them sir crv and ask about any past issues that were fixed.
It seems like a great HD gun and while we have. 9 mm CMMG Banshee this one seems like it might be easier to keep and use if they ever have any crazy law come up. ( fingers crossed )

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a bunch of HKs. I have had no failures from any of them.
I would head over to HKPRO.COM
Lots of info and a good classified section. I have bought and sold there in the past. Lots of HK jerkers over there so you have to weed through some junk. But overall, good people with lots of knowledge.
I have never shoot a knock off so I can't say anything there. I have a UMP converted from a USC. Thing is a blast. It used to be you could pick them up pretty cheap ( for an HK) cause most people don't want to mess with form 4s for other people's builds. The thing is a blast and everyone loves to shoot it.
I got out of guns for a bit, well at least buying them, so I'm not super up to date but I would guess you can find one if you want one. People love HKs. You won't lose buying authentic but it has a high up front cost. I haven't seen much go down in price.

I wish you luck, HKs are fun, most large cap guns are, just hard on the wallet.

My most fun is HK branded .22s. They run well and are super fun without breaking the bank. If I buy more, I'm at full auto.......or more .22s.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a bunch of HKs. I have had no failures from any of them.
I would head over to HKPRO.COM
Lots of info and a good classified section. I have bought and sold there in the past. Lots of HK jerkers over there so you have to weed through some junk. But overall, good people with lots of knowledge.
I have never shoot a knock off so I can't say anything there. I have a UMP converted from a USC. Thing is a blast. It used to be you could pick them up pretty cheap ( for an HK) cause most people don't want to mess with form 4s for other people's builds. The thing is a blast and everyone loves to shoot it.
I got out of guns for a bit, well at least buying them, so I'm not super up to date but I would guess you can find one if you want one. People love HKs. You won't lose buying authentic but it has a high up front cost. I haven't seen much go down in price.

I wish you luck, HKs are fun, most large cap guns are, just hard on the wallet.

My most fun is HK branded .22s. They run well and are super fun without breaking the bank. If I buy more, I'm at full auto.......or more .22s.
Thanks Dragon. I'll check it out. HK 22LR ? Wow! I never knew. Are they dependable ? I know rim fire is what it is but in a HK setup ?
Does it still have the same roller blow back system ? Another thing to check out but boy oh boy I have 22 ammo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No. They are not roller. They are also not real HK. Just branded. Some are GSG, some are a different brand that is escaping me at the moment. They work well from what I have found. Just putting out options.
If the gun has no real purpose, at this point, I would rather it be cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I believe Umarex/Walther made the .22 HK branded MP5 clones, GSG the HK -ish clones. I have a pre lawsuit GSG5P which is a hoot to shoot supreesed.

OP- I'm on a similar search- I would love to get an HK, because it's the HK- that said, with current market pricing there's a lot of daylight between the HK and a PTR, Zenith or POF.
I'm drwn to the POF because it's probably the closest spec, semi-auto to the original MP5- 2 pin metal lower, paddle release, painted finish. That said, the PTR gives you rails, so it's probably the most practical....

·
Registered
796 Posts
There isn't anything inherently wrong with the high end clones, but there isn't that much of a price break over the SP5 if you get it at MSRP. I've found it to really be about availability. Recall being a dangerous thing, I paid $2700 for my SP5 a couple months ago, and they had a Zenith or PTR on the shelf for $2,200. $500 is $500, but if you are already willing to consider $2200, then $2700 doesn't seem like that much of a step up.

Of course, that calculation changes quite a bit if you are staring at $3800 for an SP5 on Gun Broker.

Either way, nothing inherently wrong with a PTR.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If I chanced upon the HK at retail, I might jump on it, but pre owned they seem to be $3500 to $3800 around these parts, depending on brace options and the like, whereas AIM surplus had the PTR for $1900 a couple of weeks ago, and it comes with the Mlok up front and a 1913 on the top, both quite handy. There’s a PTR with a sliding brace and a POF on our local forums at the moment, I’m trying to resist, because there’s also an 8” CZ Bren….

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I spent a day at range with PTR and I had my wife and her Banshee there so we both enjoyed shooting the PTR and comparing it to the CMMG Banshee

I know they are two different guns but our reason for comparing them was mostly to see if we should jump on it for 1900 or wait for a better price or maybe find a HK SP5 or ?

If we already owned a PTR or HK and we were testing the Banshee I would buy it immediately

Totally different gun and feel and the wife loves it but after shooting the PTR while owning a Banshee it wasn't something I have to have today. It shot great and accurate.
My wife put it best. She said the PTR is a mans gun and the Banshee is a woman's gun plus she noticed with PTR there was more smoke from rounds lingering around gun.

So we will get either a real HK or a clone one day but not today.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have an MKE clone (aka Zenith / Century imported) and it's fun. No issues and it eats 147gr dirty reloads like a fat girl in a candy store.

When I bought mine it was substantially cheaper than the HK street price (around $1k) and I'm totally happy with mine, but if you can get an HK for MSRP that's a no brainer to me.

The problem with HK stuff and HK forums is everyone instantly becomes a condescending elitist, where only HK branded stuff is good enough, whether it be a zippered range bag, a key chain or your SP5. Everything else is only suitable for the poors. And thus you tend to get a special kind of filter over there where every issue with HK is justified and similar issues with clones / aftermarket are signs of the impending apocalypse.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have an HK SP5 and a Zenith MKE Z5P. I used to own a Zenith Z5RS which I traded to @UBOATDOC.

All have been 100% for me. There are a few things about the HK which are better than the MKE guns. Mainly some of the weld & finish. The fit on all 3 is perfect. They are well made. I would not have traded the Z5RS if I had not stumbled on the HK SP5 for under MSRP.

The HK is a better gun and will be worth more in the long run but the MKEs will shoot right there with the genuine article. I personally would skip the PTR. If you get one that runs they are great but there are too many reports of problem guns which are not right even after multiple trips to PTR.

If you can get a MKE/Century for a reasonable price I would go for that. Unfortunately these days they are only a few $100 away from the MSRP of the SP5. Your best bet is to find a local HK dealer and get on their waiting list or keep an eye on places like Scheels Sporting goods who gets them and sells them at a fair price. Do not pay a flipper $3500 for the HK.

Also once you shoot a roller lock 9mm subgun others simply don’t cut it anymore. My CZ Scorpion is great but feels clunky in comparison.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
They are nice looking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts