1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 1911 today
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my brother gave me a clone of the HK91 (civilian version of the G3). It's the much maligned "Hesse" version, according to the folks at the HKPro forum. Still, I think it's pretty awesome. I tried registering at that forum, but never got my confirmation email, even after emailing the mods. So, I can't post, and I have newbie questions!

So, I thought I would check my favorite forum to see if anyone knows what they are doing with these things.

Anyone here an H&K rifle expert?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I owned an SAR-8 Springfield years ago that was awesome. Nice platform. Never been on the HKPro forum. If she loads, and shoots, with reasonable accuracy, I say you have a winner. I am kinda partial to the FN/FAL platform these days.

Gary

·
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get some pics tonight after work. I did take it to the range. It's a nice shooter, but has a nasty kick. I had broken blood vessels in my chest and shoulder area. I read it might have something to do with the bolt gap and roller size, but that is almost a foreign language to me. I have never been a rifle guy, as I just hadn't gotten around to getting a lock-up cabinet or safe for long guns.

Of course, now that I have one I want to fill it!

·
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Product Gun Firearm Photograph White
Gun Product Firearm Trigger White
Gun Photograph Firearm White Trigger
Product Gun Firearm Photograph White
And yes, for those of you who are interested, I will be giving a Master Class on how to take photos with your phone:

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
I'll get some pics tonight after work. I did take it to the range. It's a nice shooter, but has a nasty kick. I had broken blood vessels in my chest and shoulder area. I read it might have something to do with the bolt gap and roller size, but that is almost a foreign language to me. I have never been a rifle guy, as I just hadn't gotten around to getting a lock-up cabinet or safe for long guns.

Of course, now that I have one I want to fill it!
If you’re going to keep it look into getting an MSG90 or PSG1 buttstock for it. Both of these have heavy duty buffers in them and reduce the recoil significantly. You can buy the buffer separately and put it in your standard stock with some slight modification. It has nothing to do with rollers or the gap. It is the massive bolt carrier group slamming backward into the buffer built into the stock.

·
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome. Thanks.

I will definitely be checking it out. (whew, the price on that!)

As far as questions go, that was the big one. I also have an extended cocking lever I'll be adding as well as a new firing pin spring. Right now, when using steel case ammo, I get a dimple in the primer, but no ignition.

I figured I'd check on the forum for general knowledge before I get myself seated in front of a bunch of parts that I have no idea how to get back together!

·
Banned
1,619 Posts
Awesome. Thanks.

I will definitely be checking it out. (whew, the price on that!)

As far as questions go, that was the big one. I also have an extended cocking lever I'll be adding as well as a new firing pin spring. Right now, when using steel case ammo, I get a dimple in the primer, but no ignition.

I figured I'd check on the forum for general knowledge before I get myself seated in front of a bunch of parts that I have no idea how to get back together!
If you’re getting light strikes it’s not the firing pin spring.
It would most likely be the hammer spring.
And yes ANYTHING Hk related is expensive.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The HK-91 and it's clones are a pretty robust battle rifle, problem is a lot of the clones are made from surplus parts, the worst being the loose fitting rollers and locking piece in the bolt carrier, if they are not correctly fit/matched, you will get too small or too large a gap between the bolt head and the barrel, if I remember correctly the cover of a match book is about right in a pinch. The rollers come in different sizes to make up for wear in the locking piece where the firing pin goes through. They have +/- numbers and that is how you adjust the gap. I found even with the worst clone builds, unless welded crooked, they can be made to function and fire correctly. The best thing about the HK-91 from HK is the barrel, they are pretty accurate and with the right ammo I've shot 3/4" groups at 100m with federal 168gr. match ammo. Mounting a scope can be a little difficult as those claw mounts leave a lot to be desired.

·
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hammer spring! That's what I meant. I ordered one from RobertRTG.com, I just haven't tried installing it yet.

I also have a tri-rail foregrip and bipod for it. I want to get the extended cocking lever on before that piece, though.

@Apollo99 That's what I have heard about the rollers. Just no experience working with the bolt or gap. Gotta learn sometime. I haven't shot it with the scope, yet, just iron sights.

I really just have it for defense of the home. From water buffalo. Or rhinos.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a PTR 91. Yes they kick like hell I used a slip on limb saver and it helped
Also be careful is someone stands by the extractor the brass will fly out about 30yards spinning like a helicopter rotor
Forget about using the brass for re load

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Last one I had was years ago.
Couldn't get used to the check weld with the iron sights.
Back them scopes didn't work well on them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.