Hog Hunting at Night

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by GeorgiaRedfish, Feb 6, 2019.

1. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    I’ve been deer hunting off and on for 15 years but I am wanting to get into hog hunting at night with out NV/IR. Is this practical? I want to use my Ar-15. Will using red/green light work? I’ve heard to not turn it on them, but aim it high and slowly move it on them. Or it’s it possible to hunt under full moon with a red dot or maybe a visible laser? I have property where I can throw out corn, trying to rid some nuisance hogs.

xerts1191 and FWoo45 like this.
  2. Busa Dave

Busa Dave Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2018
    No issue with the IR. Light them up all the time. Any light they will haul ass.

UBOATDOC and limbkiller like this.

3. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Okay, I may just try my luck on a full moon

4. Descartian

Descartian Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2017
    Thermal would be my first choice. Lighting them up with an IR NV compatible led flood would work well too. I’ve found that amber filtered spots tend to spook them less at night.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  5. bobo3020

bobo3020 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Go thermal!

FWoo45 likes this.
  6. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Okay, I was trying not to spend the coin on NV/IF but seems like what people keep suggesting I need to do

7. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Thermal and a 6.5 grendel upper. Best hog set up. Sadly I dont have a thermal scope, yet. Just trying to figure out how to use it as a tax right off...

gaijin likes this.
  8. Fatbob Frank

Fatbob Frank Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Feb 5, 2014
    The first hog I ever took was at 8:30p.m. with my Savage 99 and a Burris Fullfield scope.
    There was a yard light nearby and I had enough light to put a .308 right through it's shoulder.

Old Sea Dragon likes this.
  9. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Looks like I may have to save up, or try a full moon

10. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    We have both---use the thermal to look in the brush and even in open areas but use the NV to shoot. Just got used to doing this as we had the NV first.

11. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    What’s the most inexpensive scope y’all recommend, or monocular/goggle (would rather something I can wear so I can use my red dot)

12. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Mr Fish , please reference page 9087043.a of the TTT accessories catalog for the solution to your concerns.

3AB0882E-A146-477F-B5C1-D3247728D605.jpeg F72A176E-370C-4148-BF44-22ADEC40EB29.jpeg
    Send cash now , supplies low !

13. GeorgiaRedfish

Aug 19, 2011
    Man just like the real oper9ors use!

Mike Meints, UBOATDOC and tac45 like this.
  14. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    The light gathering capabilities of this unit are astounding!!!!!!!!!

tac45 and Mike Meints like this.
  15. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017
    Check out TexasJagd, Lonestarboars, and a host of others on YouTube.

16. UBOATDOC

UBOATDOC THE DOCTOR WILL SEE YOU......LATER Supporting Addict

Apr 5, 2015
    Not sure if I want to do a night hunt out this way, but I certainly want to bag a few of these feral hogs. Please remember that these critters carry a number of seriously bad diseases that are transmissible with direct contact. You, my friends, do not want tularemia or brucellosis. Doc

17. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I’ve been hunting and eating wild hog for decades and I’ve never had a problem.

18. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    Yuck! Most of the time when we shoot for eradication them it is hot and they are covered in dried mud, ticks and stink. Hey they way I see it Buzzards, Coyotes, Feral Hogs they eat their dead and Fire Ants(seen them dragging off individual hairs no joke) gotta eat as well :) :)

19. Descartian

Apr 13, 2017
    I think the same thing about Javelina’s but I know a lot of people that eat them.

I generally don’t eat anything over 180lbs and prefer females. 100lb and less is the best.

The mud is on the outside and comes off when you skin them. You eat potatoes and carrots right? Both grown underground (in the mud). You’re just as likely to get a parasite from deer as you are from hog. I much prefer the taste of pork over venison. And wild pork is very low in fat.

limbkiller and Busa Dave like this.
  20. Busa Dave

Mar 3, 2018
    ^^^^^^^^^^ All very True! I like Fat though! Pay a lot for meat that has "fat" in it lol! :)

limbkiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted