1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a quality, leather holster for aiwb. I have a 5" Rock Island Pro Match .45.

If I understand correctly, a 1911 Gov't is a 1911 Gov't. A representative from Milt Sparks told me their Summer Special II would not fit my pistol because it's got a full dust cover.

I had to google that... I'm new and have very little 1911 experience, so far be it from me to tell industry people what's what... but I *think* he's incorrect and my RIA 1911 does NOT have a full dust cover.

So the Summer Special II should fit... Right?
51434_1911-A1_Pro-Ultra-Match-5in_FS_45ACP_leftangled.jpg

·
Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!
6,946 Posts
Correct, your gun does NOT have a full length dust cover if it's the one in the picture. Any holster that fits a Colt Gov't Model 1911 will fit the gun in the picture.

Reactions: nathanotis

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
I don't think the SSII will be a good holster for aiwb. Maybe the original SS holster will work but not 100% on that. Might want to look into a kydex holster. Probably work better. I use a JM Custom 2.0. Works very well and is design for aiwb carry.

·
What me worry ?
11,747 Posts
@NHarvey556 , do you make a VM2 or any owb or iwb Holster for a pistol with a full length Dust shield ie : Les Baer Monolith. ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I would caution against the Summer Special as a holster for aiwb. It’s a great holster - I have one - but it’s designed for and hence better suited to 3-4 o’clock carry. The SS has a forward cant, so at the appendix position the draw is a little awkward. Also the cant pushes the butt of the firearm under your ribs, which sucks !

The SS doesn’t have the features (claw, wedge) that make aiwb comfortable / concealable. Again, I’m not knocking the SS - I love mine and have tried to make it work for aiwb, but always end up back at one that’s specially designed for aiwb.

There is another thread here on aiwb recommendations, and if I recall the SME 5-shot is the gold standard for leather aiwb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice on cant as it relates to aiwb. There's a lot of moving parts to this holster equation. It's made more difficult by not being able to put hands on the product! The SME looks great, but $200...? I thought I was looking at premium stuff in the 130-150 range. I've really only been considering leather because I can't get my head around how kydex would be comfortable all day... But the vast majority of purpose build aiwb I see are, in fact, kydex.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Thanks for the advice on cant as it relates to aiwb. There's a lot of moving parts to this holster equation. It's made more difficult by not being able to put hands on the product! The SME looks great, but $200...? I thought I was looking at premium stuff in the 130-150 range. I've really only been considering leather because I can't get my head around how kydex would be comfortable all day... Byt eh vast majority of purpose build aiwb I see are, in fact, kydex.
You will be surprised how comfortable a good aiwb kydex holster is. On top of that you have much more versatility on how you want to dail it in to fit you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm trying to find a quality, leather holster for aiwb. I have a 5" Rock Island Pro Match .45.

If I understand correctly, a 1911 Gov't is a 1911 Gov't. A representative from Milt Sparks told me their Summer Special II would not fit my pistol because it's got a full dust cover.

I had to google that... I'm new and have very little 1911 experience, so far be it from me to tell industry people what's what... but I *think* he's incorrect and my RIA 1911 does NOT have a full dust cover.

So the Summer Special II should fit... Right? View attachment 419181
Nathanotis,
Sorry for the incorrect information. With as many different configurations that I need to keep track of, mistakes get made. When you gave me the model of your firearm, I did a web search with that information. A majority of the images returned showed a full dust cover gun. If your gun is EXACTLY as shown, then any of our holsters made for a standard 1911 will fit it without issue. We do not offer a true appendix IWB design, but upon request, we can make our Summer Special 2 in a straight drop configuration that many use as an AIWB. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 208-377-5577 for the quickest and easiest answers.

·
What me worry ?
11,747 Posts

·
What me worry ?
11,747 Posts
Hang on, I know this song... This is where everyone home in and sings the praises of 1911 safety and bashes Glock and striker fire, right? I was honestly hoping to avoid that.
I realize your new here , I believe after extensive reading you will find we tease each other on a regular basis , we are a big family here .
Your welcome to do some “ bashing “ of your own providing you :

5608DED4-2C38-421A-99A7-09B06420F58D.jpeg

On sale now at TTT.......send cash :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts