Holster mount for Run & Gun?

Discussion in 'Competition 1911's' started by DukeSoprano, Nov 4, 2018.

1. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    My indoor range has a Run & Gun every Thursday night. It is not affiliated with any of the sanctions.

I took an introduction class last weekend at the outdoor range I belong to and enjoyed it.

The gun I want to use is my full size Wilson Combat 9mm X-tac
    I would like to add a mag well soon.

The Holster I plan to order is a leather lined Garret Industries:
    http://www.giholsters.com/product-p/pack1001.htm

The Belt I plan to order is a Shooters Connection:
    https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Shooters-Connection-Ultimate-Competition-Belt--P4644.aspx

I am a little confused by all the different holster mounts Garret offers:
    [​IMG]

Any advise would be appreciated! I am a firm believer in buy once cry once.

Thank you,
    Jeffrey

2. aaronsappl

aaronsappl Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2015
    DukeSoprano likes this.

3. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    I use a Garett Silent Thunder Champion with my 5" 1911s in competition and set my kid up with one for his EMP4. Both have the standard belt slide attachment, 1.5" for his and 1.75" for mine, they hold the guns stable and close, similar to my Garrett concealed carry holsters. I can't speak for any of the other attachments because I haven't used them but I've had absolutely no complaints or problems with the many holsters and mag carriers I've gotten from them, Garrett's gear is top notch.

Here is his rig -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. WC145

WC145 Every day is Saturday and every night's a party!

Jan 1, 2013
    Want to add that I'm sure you'll enjoy the matches. I've been shooting in various types of competition for about 10 years. I do it for fun and for the trigger time, I do okay, I'm faster and more accurate than the average bear, manage to notch some wins here and there. I don't have one particular competition gun, I like to switch guns from match to match, mixing up shooting my carry guns and dusting off some of those that spend most of their time in the safe. I also use my carry gear a lot of the time, I like testing my EDC stuff under the pressure of the clock and competition.

One thing is for sure, I ALWAYS have a good time, it's a great way to spend a few hours while getting some good trigger time in.

DukeSoprano likes this.
  5. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    They call it Practical Pistol Practice

aaronsappl likes this.
  6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017

It's also a good way to condition yourself to shoot under pressure. Tons of matches in the 70s and 80s. I'm tempted to go back to IDPA since I'm to old for IPSC, but I'm not going to bother to compete seriously anymore. I have yet to figure out why people use single mag holders.

WC145 likes this.
  7. Jim w.

Jim w. Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2016
    I understand your interest in the leather lined Garrett to protect your Wilson's looks. I don't know what all the Garrett verbiage means, either. Maybe if you called them up they would explain or send pictures.

Uncle Bob, I am getting pretty old too, but I find myself signed up for some USPSA to increase my match attendance on top of what remains of IDPA in the area. (You have been out of it for a long time if you remember shooting IPSC. Although USPSA is nominally the US Region of IPSC, in practice they have their own rules and targets. You can shoot real IPSC in the USA maybe three times a year.)

8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Thanks Jim, but I have been watching who's doing what. After a bad accident 11 years ago, I'm fudging to IDPA because I sure as heck and not going to try to be anywhere near as competitive as I used to be. I remember when IDPA started after IPSC went "practice for money matches" and the SWPL split in 82. It's different these days and more run and gun, but I'm going to do it just to maintain a skill set, I can't run the way I used to. When you get old enough to say you can actually fart dust, you know you're old. I can do that! ;)

I also have a broken shoulder, so I won't be putting myself in circumstances where I'd exacerbate the problem. Broke my knee running the Cooper Assault in 78, ran it again in 82 before it was banned. I'm a bit more careful these days

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  9. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted