Holster recommendations for a 1911

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by Kelty, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Kelty

Kelty New Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Hey all,

I just picked up my first 1911 (5 inch) so I need some holster recommendations for Ocing. I had been using the Sherpa but I would like something in leather. Let me know what works for you,
    Thanks,

WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  2. apipeguy

apipeguy Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I don’t OC but my favorite OWB holster would be a Milt Sparks 55BN. Not inexpensive but the best OWB holster that I have had in over 40 years of carrying.

You will get tons of different answers and almost as many as a lube thread would get.

I like your avatar as it looks a lot like me. :)

3. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    E0DFECCE-62CA-47D5-8F6A-3BAB112A3C0F.jpeg I’m not an OCer; however, if I did, I’d likely go with a holster with a thumb-break. My choice would be a Mitch Rosen model as shown here. I own this particular holster sized for a 5-inch 1911.

https://mitchrosen.com/products/express-line/

1L26 and B81 like this.
  4. El Perdido

El Perdido Fictional Western Sage

Oct 3, 2011
    Milt Sparks 55BN, all day long

simonp, Dub, BigSkyGuy and 3 others like this.
  5. B81

B81 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I just got this from Warbird Leather:

20190311_190902.jpg

20190311_190934.jpg

It is very similar to the Milt Sparks 55BN, but has a sweat shield and its secondary attachment point is a belt snap instead of a pancake style belt slot.

This particular rig is setup with a high ride for concealment under a jacket. However, the high ride also makes sitting easier.

@WhoIsJohnGalt? brings up a good point. You probably want a Level 2 holster for open carry. The holster above and the 55BN lack any kind of active retention system .

6. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Sparks

Dub and gps man like this.
  7. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    My apologies for a minor thread-hijack here - what an outstanding holster @B81!

B81 likes this.
  8. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Have you checked the holster thread on 1911forum? There are hundreds of recommendations there.

Dub and gps man like this.
  9. Kara Robert

Kara Robert New Member

Sep 19, 2017
    i have had many leather holsters but now only using 1911 owb kydex holster for my 1911. Works well for me and i'm really enjoy to use it

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  10. BigJimP

BigJimP Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Kramer leather...( Horsehide )...with a forward FBI tilt....in a Scabbard style ( outside waist band ) or in an IWB...they have both, I use the Scabbard for training..the IWB for carry.

simonp and Dub like this.
  11. Dave Jessee

Dave Jessee Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    Sparks Axiom or TT Gunleather High Ride Snap for quick on/quick off the belt. Like mounting a holster and gun out of a gun safe on to the belt.

I have a Tucker HF1. It's hard to beat the comfort of the HF1. A Tucker HF1 is not quick on/quick off. The belt has to be laced through it. Everyone should own at least one Tucker HF1.

1L26, Dub and AZ Husker like this.
  12. Soundwave

Soundwave Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Check the Ranger Pro out.

http://jeffreycustomleather.com/ConcealmentHolsterRanger.html

I have the older version and it's very nice but drawing a fullsize 1911 out can be a pain. The Pro has a cut out in the front for faster holster clearance when drawing. Seems like it would be a very noticable improvement.

I workday carry a tiny Sig P238. So drawing a full-size 1911 makes me feel like the Joker in Batman pulling that massive revolver out of his pants anyways....

Dub likes this.
  13. ferretray

ferretray Member

Jul 24, 2018
    I OC on occasion. My favorite OWB holsters are the Horseshoe Leather and Mtch Rosen pancake style.

14. ACP

ACP Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2018
    Anybody have experience with Andrew's custom leather?

15. RIS

RIS Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2019
    I really like R Grizzle. Beautiful work, great retention, not to expensive, and he’s a great guy to work with, plus he gives away free Bibles!

Dub and Katana_user like this.
  16. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I’m a fan of the Mitch Rosen 5JR.

simonp likes this.
  17. Katana_user

Katana_user Baka Gaigin Supporting Addict

Dec 14, 2014
    I've had excellent results with Ryan (2 already purchased and in use plus contemplating the third). He'll work with you to get what you need. Beautiful work also.

Michael

Dub likes this.
  18. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    I dont OC but everything I've gotten that Paul at Warbird made is great. I don't have much experience though.

simonp, Mike Meints and Dub like this.
  19. Soundwave

Soundwave Member

Mar 26, 2019
    I don't open carry but OWB is definitely more comfortable. With the right jacket sweatshirt etc it's still concealed

simonp likes this.
  20. xerts1191

xerts1191 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2017

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted