1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just picked up my first 1911 (5 inch) so I need some holster recommendations for Ocing. I had been using the Sherpa but I would like something in leather. Let me know what works for you,
Thanks,

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don’t OC but my favorite OWB holster would be a Milt Sparks 55BN. Not inexpensive but the best OWB holster that I have had in over 40 years of carrying.

You will get tons of different answers and almost as many as a lube thread would get.

I like your avatar as it looks a lot like me. :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I just got this from Warbird Leather:

20190311_190902.jpg

20190311_190934.jpg

It is very similar to the Milt Sparks 55BN, but has a sweat shield and its secondary attachment point is a belt snap instead of a pancake style belt slot.

This particular rig is setup with a high ride for concealment under a jacket. However, the high ride also makes sitting easier.

@WhoIsJohnGalt? brings up a good point. You probably want a Level 2 holster for open carry. The holster above and the 55BN lack any kind of active retention system .

·
We Are!
2,791 Posts
My apologies for a minor thread-hijack here - what an outstanding holster @B81!

I just got this from Warbird Leather:

View attachment 237459

View attachment 237463

It is very similar to the Milt Sparks 55BN, but has a sweat shield and its secondary attachment point is a belt snap instead of a pancake style belt slot.

This particular rig is setup with a high ride for concealment under a jacket. However, the high ride also makes sitting easier.

Reactions: B81

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Have you checked the holster thread on 1911forum? There are hundreds of recommendations there.

Reactions: Dub and gps man

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Kramer leather...( Horsehide )...with a forward FBI tilt....in a Scabbard style ( outside waist band ) or in an IWB...they have both, I use the Scabbard for training..the IWB for carry.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sparks Axiom or TT Gunleather High Ride Snap for quick on/quick off the belt. Like mounting a holster and gun out of a gun safe on to the belt.

I have a Tucker HF1. It's hard to beat the comfort of the HF1. A Tucker HF1 is not quick on/quick off. The belt has to be laced through it. Everyone should own at least one Tucker HF1.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check the Ranger Pro out.

http://jeffreycustomleather.com/ConcealmentHolsterRanger.html

I have the older version and it's very nice but drawing a fullsize 1911 out can be a pain. The Pro has a cut out in the front for faster holster clearance when drawing. Seems like it would be a very noticable improvement.

I workday carry a tiny Sig P238. So drawing a full-size 1911 makes me feel like the Joker in Batman pulling that massive revolver out of his pants anyways....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check the Ranger Pro out.

http://jeffreycustomleather.com/ConcealmentHolsterRanger.html

I have the older version and it's very nice but drawing a fullsize 1911 out can be a pain. The Pro has a cut out in the front for faster holster clearance when drawing. Seems like it would be a very noticable improvement.

I workday carry a tiny Sig P238. So drawing a full-size 1911 makes me feel like the Joker in Batman pulling that massive revolver out of his pants anyways....
I OC on occasion. My favorite OWB holsters are the Horseshoe Leather and Mtch Rosen pancake style.

·
Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled.
4,989 Posts
I’m a fan of the Mitch Rosen 5JR.

Reactions: simonp

·
Baka Gaigin
80 Posts
I really like R Grizzle. Beautiful work, great retention, not to expensive, and he’s a great guy to work with, plus he gives away free Bibles!
I've had excellent results with Ryan (2 already purchased and in use plus contemplating the third). He'll work with you to get what you need. Beautiful work also.

Michael

Reactions: Dub
1 - 20 of 31 Posts