Holsters

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by bugs1toy, Jun 22, 2020.

1. rblondon

rblondon Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    DAVIS LEATHER Company, good stuff, honest prices, very reasonable delivery and some classic designs for OWB carry

cgff, Kevin Rohrer and gps man like this.
  2. WhoIsJohnGalt?

WhoIsJohnGalt? We Are! Supporting Addict

Feb 20, 2018
    The world is your proverbial oyster when it comes to holster choices, as you’re seeing from the responses here. Great choices abound (as do some less-than-great ones). As advised, get the best you can along with a good belt, and you’ll be good-to-go.

My personal favorite IWB for a 1911 is the single-loop Summer Special variety, as evidenced here in an example by Milt Sparks. This one included some decorative scratching, too! ;)

Also shown is Sparks’ IWB double-mag pouch known as their IPD model. I also use OWB single magazine pouches even if otherwise bolstering IWB but, if going IWB with the mags, too, this is my pick.

3521956D-FDE8-4C5D-8B5A-2A9D2DECDCC4.jpeg

OldCuz, gps man, Dub and 1 other person like this.

3. FWoo45

FWoo45 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Sweet rig. I'm a double loop SS1 guy myself, or Warbird. 80% of the time I'm wearing a Vedder lighttuck, with a DLC commander by Intergrity Arms stuffed in it though. The finish can handle it and my shirt is always tucked in at work so that plays a major role. The IWB mag carriers from Vedder such IMO though. Went back to dropping a couple extra Tripp's into the back left pocket of my jeans. Really need to invest in some Neomags.

If OWB is your thing, I'm really happy with a Warbird convertible. Have an OWB coming from @handforged that looks great. That will be more of a winter/hunting rig here in komifornia. I hope it will go great with the bird knife he's working on for me.

Your body type, dress, and climate will play a big roll in what works best for you. Any insight into these factors might help us steer you in the right direction. You're going to end up with a box full of holsters anyway though.

Don't skimp on your belt. I'm very pleased with Hank's 100 year, kydex lined belts. Full size, steel gun, all day isn't an issue. I'm 6' 200#. Jeans and a tucked in western shirt at work and shorts with an untucked polo off work. Easy to conceal and draw with these belts and a good holster.

If you're talking open carry, I'm no help. Makes no sense to me to show your hand so I have no experience. Maybe just tuck a gluck in your butt crack and hope for the best.

4. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Yes, I have several of his Omegas, Gunsite Omegas, and Realists (1AT clones). The guy on the other end of the phone is friendly and loves to talk. He is also accommodating if you need something special.

Here is a Liberty:

[​IMG]

A Realist:

[​IMG]

Gunsite Omega on the right. Galco on the left.

[​IMG]

OldCuz, cgff, Dub and 2 others like this.
  5. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
  6. sawman556

sawman556 Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2020
    WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  7. slingerbelt

slingerbelt Deer Magnet

Aug 13, 2018
    WhoIsJohnGalt? likes this.
  8. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2017
    Like it, but I'd love to find something without a cant. If it's Kydex, has to be lined.

gps man likes this.
  9. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    Totally agree needs to be lined the sound of plastic on steel is like nails on a chalkboard to me

UBOATDOC and Uncle Bob like this.
  10. *Double Diamond Colt*

*Double Diamond Colt* Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2020
    slingerbelt likes this.
  11. johnmyster

johnmyster Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Feb 4, 2020
  12. gumby

gumby Active Member

Sep 6, 2011
    909 area code, didn't realize that Gibson was local. Gonna give them a shot!

13. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    My RO Champion is fine with an Anodized frame, but the finish on the slide is Kaa Kaa. I'm probably going to have to break down and have a holster made the way I want it. I just can't do thumb breaks the way I used to and bending over to clear a canted holster slows me down way to much.

*Double Diamond Colt* likes this.
  14. gps man

gps man Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2015
    UB- you can get the almost original Milt Sparks 55BN with no cant.

Davis Leather sells a copy too as do many others.

Bruce Nelson was the first to design this style of holster and licensed it to Milt.

Bianchi’s Askin Avenger is a copy. Not a bad holster, but a copy.
    @Uncle Bob

L to R
    Original Bruce Nelson, two Milt Sparks, Rusty Sherrick, Kramer
    Adjustments.JPG

OldCuz and Dub like this.
  15. Leo

Leo Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Here's a link to High Noon Holster's clearance page. All are in stock at up to 50% off, plus another 30% with the coupon. You can get one (or two) in a week, then take your time shopping the other higher end products. https://www.highnoonholsters.com/sale

16. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Well-Known Member Supporting Addict

Jul 6, 2014
    Once again, many if not most holster makers will accommodate you. I do not like holster can't and never order one w/ it. I do own some holsters I bought used that have cants, but cannot get used to them as the can't makes it more difficult to draw.

Here are a few of my Rhodesians and Speed Scabbards; none w/ cants.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    OldCuz likes this.
  17. 1MoreFord

1MoreFord New Member

Mar 12, 2020
    In addition to the makers I remember previously mentioned let me add Rosen, Privateer, and James Nelson to the pool.

18. Uncle Bob

Sep 22, 2017
    I have been talking to El Paso. Love the pancake, but deciding on a few other things.

19. cgff

cgff Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2015
    For a belt, my Favorite is a Wilderness Tac 5 stitch,
    Holsters IWB 1911. Milt Sparks Summer Special II,
    Holsters OWB, hmm lots of choices, kydex Raven Concealment Signature Seris.
    Semi local fellow in Suffolk VA, “Backwoods leather”. He has a modified 55BN.
    Davis Leather Gunsite omega.

20. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Active Member

Jan 2, 2019
    My 2 favorite holsters ( and I've had almost every kind in the last 40 years lol. Milt Sparks SS2, and Warbird Leather ( made by a member here ) IMG_20200828_134843167.jpg IMG_20200811_113040395_HDR.jpg IMG_20200828_134843167.jpg IMG_20200828_134843167.jpg

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted