close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Holy S**t!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Stogies, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Cloudsmoker

Cloudsmoker Active Member Supporting Addict

Dec 31, 2014
    Brother, I could only imagine how bad that could have turned out. Somebody was looking after you.

Stogies, Jimhoag and crayj46 like this.
  2. BuckyP

BuckyP Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2011
    At first I thought the title was click bait, but no completely justified.

As an IPSC shooter, from before the power factor drop, I’ve shot some seriously hot supers. A good 1911 should be able to take it. Sorry this happened to you.

THANK YOU. Yeah, I was at a loss myself. And I’m even on my third cup of coffee.

Jimhoag and Stogies like this.

3. Brent

Brent Avid 1911 Shooter

Apr 12, 2017
    Glad you weren't injured. I started reloading last year and took two precautions. I bought a cheap "range gun" and created my own targets with neon orange 2" circles on a white board. I can see every shot and am VERY conscious of squibs, especially in rapid fire. Hope your discussion with Winchester and the pistol manufacturer. Maybe someone will want to help you out. Let us know how it goes.

Sneaky One and Jimhoag like this.
  4. Dudester

Dudester New Member

May 3, 2016
    That's crazy. Glad no one was hurt.

Sneaky One and Stogies like this.
  5. azpoolguy

azpoolguy Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jul 4, 2013
    WWB in 9mm from a recent range day. I felt it before I put the round in the mag. So who knows where there quality control is at. 3776CB36-6A15-4447-9D7F-DB0E403FC8A3.jpeg

Sneaky One, Jimhoag and Stogies like this.
  6. Stogies

Stogies Nighthawk Nut! Supporting Addict

Aug 22, 2015
    Wow, I hate to think what that would have done

Sneaky One likes this.
  7. nitro_fix

nitro_fix New Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Same thing happened to a friend of mine. The conclusion was operator error. While disassembly the practice was to drop the mag and eject the chambered round to clear weapon. After many times of cycling the same round from the top of the magazine to the chamber the bullet worked its way down inside the case where it finally fell below crimp and compacted the powder charge. He decided to fire it like that instead of using a puller to take the bullet apart. The damage wasn't quite that bad but he did split the barrel and the empty case ejected but FTF the next round.

Sneaky One and Badabing11 like this.
  8. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Good reminder.

9. mike whitton

mike whitton New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    First off, you are blessed to be in one piece. Secondly I am sorry to hear about your pistol. If you are at all like me, only kids, wife, and dogs come before my firearms. IMHO it does appear to be ammo related. May I ask why you shoot +P? I'm not getting on a soapbox here, I just was always led to believe +P ammo is, at best, risky. I load my own for my rifles and pistols. In particular, my .45acp is my fun range gun. I modded it for the light loads I make for it. My experience with the 1911 began in 1973. I am an amateur smitty and have done my own builds and mods for a good while now. You may find yourself very pleased with a lighter load, say 185gn jhp over 5.9g unique. easy on the pistol as well as my hand. accurate nough that my shooting pals always want to shoot my .45 and rave how it is manageable. Ultimately they build one like mine. Just foor for thought and again, I am glad you are ok. Money is nothing compared to your digits!! feel free to contact me anytime and safe shooting!!

10. Stogies

Aug 22, 2015
    38 super is only available in +p.
    That pistol is more than capable of that load.
    Thanks for the well wishes

Sneaky One likes this.
  11. Oldag

Oldag Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2014
    +P is not risky provided the gun was designed for its use.

Sneaky One and Stogies like this.
  12. Philip A.

Philip A. Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2017
    .38 Super is headstamped +P since the early 70’s to further distinguish it from the old .38 ACP, which is dimensionally identical. Just in case someone who’s about to stick a magazine full of these in an old Colt M1900 decides “Nah... +P... Not gonna do that”. :grin:

13. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Seen this more than once with the combo of stainless barrels and WWB ammo. Very seriously doubt it was a squib. Looks like weak barrel steel and a round that was a little hot.

More specifically, I've seen four stainless barrels of one specific brand do this exact same thing over the past couple of years...which is why I use Kart barrels exclusively.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Sneaky One, Weiker, Greg6640 and 3 others like this.
  14. Cherryriver

Cherryriver Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Mr. Chambers is quite right.
    And, as a side note, the pressure limit for .38 Super +P is only 36,500psi, hardly anything exotic in this day and age. Not much different from 9x19.
    It is also true that Winchester White Box has given more than one problem or two with erratic loads.

Sneaky One and Joe C like this.
  15. 1911KY

1911KY Shooter!

Mar 20, 2015
    I stopped using WWB several years ago...had more issues with it than any other ammo.

Sneaky One, Jollyroger1 and Stogies like this.
  16. Stogies

Aug 22, 2015
    Ironically the only reason I bought it was because the company I normally order from was out of my usual ammo:mad:

17. Joe C

Joe C Custom Pistolsmith Sponsor

Sep 11, 2011
    Still could have happened with any ammo.

18. Stogies

Aug 22, 2015
    Well...
    I guess that ends that

Sneaky One, Jollyroger1 and Jimhoag like this.
  19. David Jackson

David Jackson New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Wow! What a freak accident! And with factory ammo too ...
    I agree with those who feel Winchester has some liability here.

Stogies likes this.
  20. Stogies

Aug 22, 2015
    I'm hoping

Sneaky One and Jimhoag like this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted