1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a addict. This site is very cool. I look at most threads and love what the pros share. This is my home built 9x19. Not perfect and may need some refining. Still needs a front sight and finish. A couple things worth sharing that may help some fellow addicts. The EGW weld on magwell is nice and quite inexpensive. Under 50 bucks. If you buy the right trip base pads you can time your mags the way you want. putting together this took some time. It also cost more than a basic Glock in parts even tho I used some parts I had. Have a look if you would like. Thanks

Gas Auto part Electric blue Metal Machine
Automotive lighting Drinkware Audio equipment Gadget Gas
Bumper Nickel Gas Machine Auto part
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Bumper
Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Paper product Plastic
Helmet Tints and shades Wood Fashion accessory Electric blue
Trigger Wood Air gun Gun accessory Gas
Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel Material property

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
Very nice job. I have been thinking about buying an 80% frame for a "Ghost Gun" before the Feds make it illegal. Would you please post pics of the feed ramp and barrel? Thanks.

Reactions: Magnum P.I.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Laislo- I am not a machinist. Long time enthusiast for 1911s. All done by hand. Prob 25 hours total.
BuyDirt-Carbon steal frame made by Caspian. I purchased legally thu local FFL
BillKilgore-the frame is milled for a Wilson ramped barrel. The barrel is reported to be a STI. I have not idea who made the barrel, or slide for that matter. I had the slide engraved by a local shop.
TheCustom1911- I did all the work....and I believe we are practically neighbors:)
Thanks so much

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those magazine baseplates are very interesting. Did you make those yourself? Would love to see how they look when the mag is inserted!

Edit: Oh, you do have two pics of them inserted. Just not from the side. 😊

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I actually love GOOD stippling!

VERY nice work!!!
Agreed. I think stippling is grossly under-rated and under-utilized. My DW Guardian has partial stippling on the grip panels, but I wish that were also done on the backstrap and front of the grip.

I don't know why more companies don't use stippling. I think it's more attractive than obviously faked checkering (e.g. pressed checking into wood).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I encourage any to try home smithing if they want to. This site and others help with great info. I use to checker a bit but trueing the front strap is difficult without a mill. Stippling is quite ease. Just hit the metal a million times with a prick punch. I sharpen the punch every 1/4 square inch with a belt sander. I do double sided tape aluminum guides on the side and clamp them in the vise to aide a somewhat straight line down the front strap. You can do boarders or no boarders. This one i did a little different.
Wood Office supplies Wood stain Hardwood Flooring
Office supplies Wood Cylinder Rectangle Auto part
Office supplies Wood Writing implement Office equipment Rectangle

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Hi,
I have stippled and use a 3 corner ground Punch.

Heard an old Gunsmith mention that, and tried it and liked the look.

I like the aggressive stippling look, which that punch gives!

There are some that use an Air Chisel to stipple the big area and then finish by hand, but...

I'm scared of that route!

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Thanks guys. I encourage any to try home smithing if they want to. This site and others help with great info. I use to checker a bit but trueing the front strap is difficult without a mill. Stippling is quite ease. Just hit the metal a million times with a prick punch. I sharpen the punch every 1/4 square inch with a belt sander. I do double sided tape aluminum guides on the side and clamp them in the vise to aide a somewhat straight line down the front strap. You can do boarders or no boarders. This one i did a little different.
View attachment 1054567 View attachment 1054568 View attachment 1054570
That is beautiful work. How many hours did this one take you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts