Home Security System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scaramouche, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
    My daughter is installing Ring Security Systems on her house. Me, I got Rolladen Rolling Shutters on the back of my house mainly because the back faces directly east and in the summer it's an oven out there and the shutters hold back some of that heat. As they are metal they also prevent the casual knucklehead from breaking into the house from it's most remote isolated area.

When she showed me the Ring bell that interacts in live time with her phone I got real interested. She is also adding an array of their motion cameras around the perimeter of the house which also connect to her phone in real time. You have audio/visual allowing you to interact with who or whatever is on the camera; it also allows you to get off a prison break siren. Pretty cool technology.

I'm kind of interested as I have two other areas around the house I would like to harden, plus that door bell camera really got my attention to the point I'm seriously considering buying a smart phone to get that, if nothing else.

Anyone have experience, good and/or bad with the Ring products?

2. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I have a motion camera; buy a solar charger for any device that needs power. The cameras record all movements thus the camera battery(in my case)needs to be charged often. You can run usb to them but you’re left with an exposed wire. I plan on picking up two more cameras, they perform well.

3. SparkyAZ

SparkyAZ It is a dry heat, right...

Sep 11, 2012
    Do not forget to add in a highly trained intruder detection device. Here is mine in his stealth/sleep mode...;)

004.JPG

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Known Agitator

Dec 29, 2015
    In for info, been thinking about some sort of camera/security setup myself.

wcanterbury and Kip like this.
  5. bdickers

bdickers Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2012
    I had one and got rid of it. The view could not be shortened enough to keep the system from seeing every car that passed down the street which set off the phone interface. Interesting concept, just need better engineering.

wcanterbury and Scaramouche like this.
  6. Scaramouche

Scaramouche Student of the Columbian Exchange Supporting Addict

Sep 15, 2015
  7. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    Ring is the best, I love mine. Anyone that get within 10 ft of the door gets put on tape and I can ask anyone closer who they are, what they want --- if I'm just back in the home office and to lazy to get up or 3,000 miles a way in NYC.

wcanterbury and Scaramouche like this.
  8. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Mouche, I can solve your problem,you’ll be happy to know after years of selective breeding TTT security has perfected the desert
    Guard Shark. !

82513C80-A365-4E1B-B312-90556C3DAED5.jpeg
    When off duty he can safely kept indoors!

AED690AB-CF66-48ED-8F6B-5333C5B19E9D.jpeg
    Plus your order comes complete with signage to keep the bad guys away.

16EBAF40-7AF6-4F08-AF31-116F3B682BBA.jpeg
    If you take me to that bakery you frequent,I’ll do the installation myself. :roflmaro:

9. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    What brand names (or models) do you opt for?

10. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    In for info too,my master plan of booby traps turns out to be illegal...who knew...

11. tac45

tac45 What me worry ? Supporting Addict

Mar 4, 2012
    Kippy , I thought your neighbors were watching the house

569ED028-99F7-4D95-8681-58B9968F33D0.gif

12. Babboonbobo

Babboonbobo Avatar is back to my favorite things!

Nov 18, 2014
    I have hardwired Swann security cameras, installed myself and I can watch all 8 cameras on my phone or computer. They record 24/7 and I’ve turned the video more than once over to police to catch B&E of peoples vehicles in our neighborhood! (Quiet neighborhood on a culdesac, kids think it’s easy pickings)

Then in the house I have 4 cameras also running 24/7 but they are included with my ADT security system.

I to have thought about adding the Ring doorbell simply because it’s interactive.

No battery operated devices! Everything is hardwired. My son has battery operated cameras at his place and goes through an extreme amount of batteries.
    I do use solar powered motion lights along the fence around my house, if you step one foot in my yard it lights everything up! Only problem is I have a few animals (possum, raccoon, deer and a turkey) that like to set them off! If it’s between 2-5am it’s either the deer or possum I catch on camera!

wcanterbury, Kip and Scaramouche like this.
  13. Dallas Knight

Dallas Knight Max Otto von Stierlitz

Jun 22, 2015
    I’ve got motion activated security lights around the outside perimeter and indoor sensors that will set off a loud outside siren. But I’ve been toying with the idea of adding some recording cameras. (On just a typical subdivision through street that’s fairly quiet). Haven’t found any home security cameras that I’m completely won over with (due to limitations of one kind or another). I do know, if I was having a new house built, I’d insist on having it wired for security alarms & cameras (and maybe provisions for wireless too).

14. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I’ve seen on Amazon a combination WiFi camera and LED spotlight, that you screw into a regular light fitting. So no need to run new power cables or change batteries etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWoo45, Mike Meints and Scaramouche like this.
  15. Razer

Razer On The Razers Edge Staff Member Admin Moderator Supporting Addict

Jul 1, 2012
    I looked at Ring and ended up going with the Arlo system from Netgear. Works really well.

Scaramouche likes this.
  16. Yellowsupersport

Yellowsupersport Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I have a few of those as well. This one walks quietly and carries a big stick. Haven’t had many strangers ringing the doorbell since we got him....

9c67af0e-0662-4492-b7f2-ae6225efa742.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Intrigued by the talking doorbell thing but not sure how effective it will be when I'm saying "Who da f*ck are you?" over the phone with a saw running in the background....and no saw sounds at the house!:bang:
    Have thought of motion sensors turning on lights and stuff.
    But then had a brainstorm,motion sensors that shut everything OFF!!
    Figure if you're trying open a window and it suddenly goes dark....Ruh,Roh!!!:devil:

18. nmbuzz

nmbuzz Livin Large

Apr 9, 2013
    I opted for the budget model security system. Drew this on the walk by the door. No batteries required and I can keep my old phone. Have to retouch it every couple months but I'm just now on my 2nd piece of chalk .

[​IMG]

19. Kip

Kip Sir Kip Esquire

Apr 12, 2016
    Good deterrent beats all!!
    Lot of woods around me,chock full o' critters.... ;)
    Couple dogs would be nice. Like Yellowsupersports,but I'd wind up with a team like Sparky's...lay around fartin' all day!! :grin:

20. Karsten

Karsten Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013

I have to agree....These are my fierce guard Dogs right at the front door in Stealth Mode

[​IMG]

Karsten

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted