1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, as the title says.

if you ever HAD a Kimber 1911, what model did you have, and was it a good 1911...and do you still have it??

if you got rid of a Kimber you had, why did you do it??

what are known issues with Kimber, like build quality, feed issues, ejection issues, parts breaking prematurely?

that's about all i have to ask for now.

i do not currently own a Kimber, but on "some" websites i am a member of, some guys talk good, some guys talk bad about the brand

thanks in advance, to all that respond, with actual advice, opinions on a Kimber that you had, or still have.

hearsay, well......i'll read it, but honesty first, please.

(and by the way, like someone else asked in another thread, "why are tags needed before posting?" i just had to include some)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I owned a Kimber CDP Pro, Series 1. Ran like a top, and looked good too. Sold it to finance another pistol and kinda regret doing that!!!! Can't comment on the Series 2 guns.

·
Premium Member
6,465 Posts
Super Carry Pro .45 ......... great shooter, gifted to my youngest.

Grand Raptor ll .45..... not many rounds through it by me, sold it to a friend a couple years ago and he's still shooting it without any issues. Accurate shooter

Micro 9mm...... POS... gave it to my youngest. (he gets the bad with the good 🤣)

·
Registered
987 Posts
Cannot answer your question experientially, but I'll concur they are polarizing -- some of it seems earned, some not. There's at least one top builder on this forum who speaks highly of Kimber as a base gun.

Anyway, the question comes up from time to time. Here's some reading that might help...

·
I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now
7,605 Posts
Kimber hate is by the people that never shot or owned one. I had an Ultra Aegis, Ultra Raptor and CDP II and never had a failure I'm any of them and carried the Ultra Aegis for 5 years and shot it a lot.

·
Known Agitator
3,164 Posts
I have a Kimber TLE II. Not a fan of their Swartz (sp) drop safety, and the way they mill the slide for the rear sights made removing the rear sight beyond my skills. Other than that, the gun is accurate and has had no feeding issues. Whatever brand of paint they used on mine is not super durable. The fit and work on the parts seems good.

Overall, I am happy with mine, don't plan on selling it.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,891 Posts
I have owned probably 25-30 Kimber 1911’s.

The good: The guns I had were actually reliable, no major issues in terms feeding, ejecting/jamming. At one time I thought Kimber was the top of the food chain, I really did have pride of ownership with them! I thought the guns were built on very solid slides and frames! I also thought that the guns were accurate for what they were. I thought Kimber did a good job with a lot of the cosmetic work. In reality, I personally think the guns are solid if you are buying used for under $800 bucks. Past $800 there arebetter options IMO. The early model Kimbers (series I) were the better guns that Kimber made, however I had a Team Match II in 9mm and a Kimber Stainless II (that had the eclipse finish on it in 9mm) that were seriously great.

The bad: The bad is that Kimber no longer fits into the category of gun that I personally am into. Once you are exposed to frame to slide fit, seemless blending, etc… you start to notice all the short comings of the guns (not just Kimber either). Once I was exposed to Baer, NH, Crafter, etc the build quality was eye opening. Just in the same as once I was exposed to Chambers, Bunker, Rogers, Ned, etc… the build quality of the semi custom guns was eye opening. That simply means that based on the level of gun you want/can afford, you will land at a certain level of execution and perfection. The other things for me is the MIM parts were a no go. A lot of the barrels in my Kimbers started to rust and pit. Once I started understanding more about parts being used, it seemed odd that Kimber used a plastic MSH…. The 80 series safety, eh. The more I learned about custom 1911’s the less appealing production 1911s became. I was disappointed and kinda put off by the whole “custom shop” marketing aspect. Never really realized how that worked until I became a member here… all of that pretty much lead to their styling no longer appealing as much. I don’t like their rear sight cut, the grip safety looks kinda wonky to me now, the large front cocking serrations are a turn off, I can go on and on. The straw that broke the camels back for me though was one day at the range I was practicing from low with safety on. When I disengage the safety it literally snapped off. A mim part failed for me during a training session, that was eye opening. A few months later I was shooting another one of the Kimbers and during a string of 10 rounds the gun stopped working… the slide stop literally crumbled to what looked like sand. That was a catastrophic failure and one that I could not get past…

So… all in all owning 25+ Kimbers, shooting thousands of rounds through them collectively…. I decided that it was time to move on to the next level of 1911’s. In all fairness I’ve had a lot of issues with Wilson Conbat (that are documented here). That made me head the full custom route. Haven’t looked back.

·
Registered
Hunted but never caught
915 Posts
Had a Kimber Warrior. Had problems with the Kimber mag and changed to Chip McCormick and WC. Ran flawlessly. Sold it to our buy another gun

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
The only two Kimbers I own have been great guns. I have a Kimber TLE RL 2 that has thousands of trouble free rounds through it and a full size blued Kimber Raptor that I’ve taken to several shooting schools and had no issues with. They are well built and mine have held up after all the abuse I’ve put them through.

·
Registered
259 Posts
reciter
One who recites
(rĭ-sīt′-er)
v. re·cit·ed, re·cit·ing, re·cites
v.tr.
1. To repeat or utter aloud (something memorized or rehearsed), often before an audience, and usually on the internet with no first hand experience.

See also: Parrot

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had a circa 1998 Royal and a few Gold Match (series one, 1998 to ~2001) models. All series 1. Despite the MIM parts, were pretty nice for <$900 guns. Ran well but I never put the round count on them that current inventory of 1911s gets. Two of those guns got me into reloading and shooting lots of 45. I always stayed away from later stuff and anything Series II.

These days, they just don't fit the aesthetic of the 1911s I've grown to enjoy. The Royal was probably worth keeping. It was a good gun, but also had all the original stuff (box, mags, papers) and was made in the first month of the Yonkers rollmark.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I owned several 5" Series 1 guns; first in blue, then stainless. I thought they were great guns. All of mine were tweaked by my friends at Novak's. Replaced some of the MIM parts, Novak replacement sights. Really liked how they felt just everso slightly trimmer than a Colt, at least in the front strap radius. I think they did the best job of a higher cut frontstrap without any extreme sharpness. Regret selling them over the years. I still look around for one more.

·
Chambers Custom Owners Club
2,891 Posts
I’d also mention that I would avoid any of the limited run of external extractor guns they made… I forgot about those. Had one, that one did give me a handful of issues.

·
born in the wrong century
6,142 Posts
Had one…..15+ years ago.

Bought new. 5” fixed sight 2 toned.

Feed issues, extractor issues, fail to return to battery issues.

Funny thing was that didn’t put me off so bad….figured I could work through things and tweek it.

What did put me off was their horrible attitude when I contacted them.

It was a turnoff that I never got over.

Too many other options out there than to deal with a company run by that philosophy. Perhaps they’ve changed. Don’t know & don’t care.

Moved on to better options for my needs.

Sample size of one. It was enough to prevent there being others.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Had one…..15+ years ago.

Bought new. 5” fixed sight 2 toned.

Feed issues, extractor issues, fail to return to battery issues.

Funny thing was that didn’t put me off so bad….figured I could work through things and tweek it.

What did put me off was their horrible attitude when I contacted them.

It was a turnoff that I never got over.

Too many other options out there than to deal with a company run by that philosophy. Perhaps they’ve changed. Don’t know & don’t care.

Moved on to better options for my needs.

Sample size of one. It was enough to prevent there being others.
Yep had that attitude with law enforcement when they had problems. Arcadia PD shipped 100 pistols back to them last year because they weren't up to spec.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would buy a 5" Series 1 (unmodified) if I could get it under a grand.
Not interested in any of the Series 2 guns (firing pin safety and/or external extractor).
Their service, al long as it wasn't on a major issue, is of no concern to me. I get things taken care of on my own.

Their whole gun-of-the-month program is tiring.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I at one time had a TLE, a Grand Raptor and Gold Combat.

Never had any function issues with any of them. The GR and GC were custom shop guns and were very accurate. At least as accurate as the Nighthawk I had at the time, around 2007.

But then I fell victim to the “if you spend just a little more money, you can get this” mindset. Starting buying more and more Wilson’s so I sold off the Kimbers to fund them.

All in all, they were great guns at their price points. Only real negatives to me at the time were the various cast parts and the plastic MSH.

But Kimber was pretty much my gateway gun to the custom 1911 world.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kimber builds a quality 1911. Their consistency is my concern. I had one-a TLE11.
great looking weapon but was not reliable. FTF on a frequent basis. Called Kimber and their response was it was in a break in period. Six hundred rounds later I traded it in. I know many people that love them and have had no issues. I wish I had Kimber’s marketing budget.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts