1911 Firearm Addicts banner
81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
This is my Custom II. I put the Chen SI magwell on it and a set of cheap Hogue magwell grips and the marks on the slide is wear it hangs on the magnet with a Tripp 10-round mag. I have many 1911's that are without a doubt "nicer" than this one. I am very happy with it for a $650 purchase and I would and do trust my family to it without hesitation.

This one was made in '18 or '19, so it's pretty new and hasn't been handled or carried all that much, but I put 1,500-2,000 rounds through it and it never had any sort of issue at all with HP's, FMJ's or SWC's. I don't doubt in any way the negative experiences of others or the failures they report. I am thankful to say that I have never had those issues, but I also wouldn't expect my Kimber to hold up as well to the wear that my daily 1911's experience because of dirt, dust and hard use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi, as the title says.

if you ever HAD a Kimber 1911, what model did you have, and was it a good 1911...and do you still have it??

if you got rid of a Kimber you had, why did you do it??

what are known issues with Kimber, like build quality, feed issues, ejection issues, parts breaking prematurely?

that's about all i have to ask for now.

i do not currently own a Kimber, but on "some" websites i am a member of, some guys talk good, some guys talk bad about the brand

thanks in advance, to all that respond, with actual advice, opinions on a Kimber that you had, or still have.

hearsay, well......i'll read it, but honesty first, please.

(and by the way, like someone else asked in another thread, "why are tags needed before posting?" i just had to include some)
Hello, I’ve had multiple Kimbers over the years and currently carry (2) on a regular basis. The Kimber Raptor and the Kimber Super Ultra Carry and I’m thoroughly satisfied and always have been. Many people interject their opinion on a gun based on little experience. With that being said Kimber 1911s are guns that you can purchase with certainty that they will be reliable so you might try one and develop your own opinion. Have a great day!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
well, i did it...i went to the LGS looking for another 1911. i really wanted the Rock Island 2 tone, but that got sold.

so, i saw a nice KImber, Custom II, 2 tone, and they were selling for $100 below list.

so like i said to myself, "what da hell", a few guys here speak highly of them.

and on another site, others there speak highly of the Kimber brand as well.

yes, it does have the Schwartz safety, but i could care less,

now i have to wait nearly a full week, before i can get to either the range or the club to try it out..

it only came with 1, 7 rnd magazine, but i have 5 Wilson Comat, 8 rnd mags, it'll get 4 of those.

Sports equipment Wood Font Skateboard truck Gas

Table Wood Bottle Drinkware Gas

Air gun Font Trigger Gun barrel Wood

Table Sewing machine Wood Trigger Cameras & optics

·
Registered
80 Posts
Had 2...

a Classic Gold Match (series I...no swartz safety). That gun was wicked accurate! Swear it could of been a bullseye gun. Never a hiccup at all.

a Ultra Tactical (series I)....Ultra (officer) size with a magwell. Darn thing wouldn't run worth a damn. Tried EVERYTHING...new springs, feed ramp polish, tuned extractor, different mag's, etc. etc. etc. Still couldn't get it to run properly. Sold it off to a buddy who wanted to "wrench" on 1911's.

So.....for me, 50/50 on the positive/negative experience.
Did your buddy ever get it lined out?
What was the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a custom TLE/RL 2 which ran flawlessly for over 2000 rounds. My second gun purchased. Wish I would have held on to it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
here is a target from the range the other day (tuesday in fact)..25 rds of reloaded ammo, at 7 yards

i'm liking it. i was told by the store manager where i get my reloads, that Kimber has used the Schwartz safety for decades, and if it did not work, or was problematic, they'd dump it....apparently, it works well.

Recreation Circle Precision sports Flooring Symmetry

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a Kimber for maybe 10 or 11 years. Had a rough start. Premature slidelock, giant bat wing safety hurt my thumb and it would flip off in the holster, heavy trigger pull, shot too low to be used. Dimpled the slide stop, replaced the safety with a small Colt safety, installed Colt sear spring and boosted the hammer a bit, filed the front sight to zero it. The gun is very accurate and reliable. It's a full size, Custom II, plain black gun. Also, put on a set of Herritt Walnut checkered grip panels. I'll note that bbl to slide fit is very good and slide to frame fit is also good. I'll add that I've never bought a 1911 gun that didn't need some type of trigger work. Shooting low, premature slide lock and the soft safety should have been good from the factory but most mfgs these days just assemble the guns and ship them. Customers can return the defective guns or repair them themselves. It's a surprise to me when a new gun doesn't have defects.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
i have only been in this sport/hobby since january of 2020....

as a result, i have learnt many things, either form well known you tubers, or at the gun range/club, or on message boards.

so to me, all the triggers on all my guns are just fine. i am not into precision shooting, just target and self defense practicing.

so far, all my guns (to me) have had no need for any improvements. if "it" shoots low, high or far to the right or left, it is me. as i have had others shoot my collection, and they are dead on.

one gun that i once owned, and sold to my buddy, cuz he wanted to start shooting 1911's, was my Remington R 1911, a really sweet G'model.

but, the wood grips were "rough" on my hands, not too mention seemingly too wide to get a good grip, so i replaced them with thin rubber...

do i miss that Remington?

maybe, but it went to a really good home.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Put me in the "Dub" camp! The Kimber I bought, although a little older then Dub's, is a clone of his. It looked GOOD in the box! Pulled it out and racked the slide, smmoooth! Then I loaded up the factory mag to see how it feed, and as the line goes, "that's when the fight started...".

Being a factory Kimber magazine, it would not feed. Period. In any 1911. Then when I used a good mag the Kimber Custom (just a name, nothing "custom" about it, until it was completely rebuild by me) it wouldn't eject! Well, that seems reasonable because the extractor hook wasn't cut! By this time, it had been out of the box for an hour and was starting to show signs of rust! I ended up soring in it an oil bath when not working on it. Oh, did I mention all the casting flaws all over it? The huge gouge down the side of the hammer? The crappy/cheesy grips? The... the list is endless.

When I called Kimber they just said send it back, 4 to 6 MONTHS return time! Take it or leave it! Well the gun was bought for a presant, and try telling someone the gun they bought, for $800 dealer. is a POS. and if returned to the factory they MIGHT return it in four to six months, and when (or if) they return it, they may or may not have fixed it!

So how did it shoot? I got no idea because the trigger pull was somewhere around 75 POUNDS! After filing an oz of burrs, machine markings, etc., out, after giving it a complete trigger overhaul, the trigger was actually/accurately weighed, 36 lb 6 oz!! Well that was at least half of what it was, but not entirely what a good trigger should be! Trigger job, check, trigger job, check, etc., it got down to a reasonable trigger pull weight. I probably should have ditched everything, and put in new parts of KNOWN quality, it would have been much quicker anyway!

Finally ended up keeping the gun in an oil bath, ended up using Ezox, which kept the rusting down to a reasonable level. It would rust in a bath of a few other gun oils, especially the slide, which would literally start rusting in minutes out of the oil bath. I never saw anything like it before or since, but it literally would rust as you watched!

Anyway, it finally was working, the trigger pull is quite good, but nothing compared to the SAM (Philippine, imported by Century, but now with its own importer, which worked out of the box 100%, at less than half the price! The SAM has a trigger pull as good or better than the Wilson a guy at my club brought in, AND the SAM had a slip that everyone who touched it had to sign off on!) but by that point, I was tired of working on it, it was clean, smooth and crisp enough to make anyone happy.

When I asked the nationally known pistolsmith at my club, his opinion of Kimbers, he started frothing at the mouth (as did every other top pistolsmith asked!) and his opinion (at that time, which hasn't changed since the last time I talked to him) was that they were junk! PERIOD! He (and all the others) said the first thing they did was strip the gun to the flame and slide and thrown everything away, as SOP. Then they bought parts of known quality and put everything together, so if there was a problem, it wasn't because of junk Kimber parts, other than the slide/frame.

Admittedly, Kimber has been sold a few times since I bought mine and Dub bought his, but if I can buy a 1911 at half the price that works out of the box (SAM 1911 and Taurus PT1911), doesn't need hours of polishing, trigger work, or a new magazine/extractor to work, then I will buy them instead of taking a chance on another Kimber junker.

I do agree with Azguy1911, a lot of gun hate is hear-say, rumor, "While I never did it, I think (never proven)...", "in my uninformed opinion...", etc., especially when it comes to Taurus (own/ed several, never had a bad one, unlike Mossberg, Henry, ...) but when it comes to Kimber, it is probably warranted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Guess I've been lucky. I haven't owned a lot of Kimber's but I have in 9mm, .38 Super, 10mm and .45 ACP in varying sizes, and I don't recall having any issues.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
well, i did it...i went to the LGS looking for another 1911. i really wanted the Rock Island 2 tone, but that got sold.

so, i saw a nice KImber, Custom II, 2 tone, and they were selling for $100 below list.

so like i said to myself, "what da hell", a few guys here speak highly of them.

and on another site, others there speak highly of the Kimber brand as well.

yes, it does have the Schwartz safety, but i could care less,

now i have to wait nearly a full week, before i can get to either the range or the club to try it out..

it only came with 1, 7 rnd magazine, but i have 5 Wilson Comat, 8 rnd mags, it'll get 4 of those.

View attachment 830250

View attachment 830251

View attachment 830252

View attachment 830253
I’ve always liked the Kimber custom pro II and the pro II carry,, 45 of corse,, like any factor 1911 some upgrades must be done to make it shoot just a little better. Like the Wilson extractor,, Harrison ignition upgrade, polished feed ramp.. trigicon night sights, shooting star and Wilson mags..like you I say “WHAT THE HELL” buy it and enjoy it…👍😁

·
1911 Lover
289 Posts
I tried a TLE (maybe?) and then a Raptor (definitely). Both were very sensitive to the type of ammo used. "Flying ashtrays" would not feed reliably, even after I sent the Raptor back.

Granted, this was many years ago... late 90's maybe? Early 2000's?

Still, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Traded the Raptor towards a TRP and never looked back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Kimber makes A great 1911 for the money .the problems is when production ramps up a lot of poor workmanship gets pushed out the door rather than being sent back and properly fixed, thinking they can send it back for warranty work. So if you bought one like that and have to spend 100.00 to ship it back or they return it to you and it still has the same issues we’ll your probably going to speak negatively about it .and if you get a good one it’s great . Hope this helps . Oh I’ve owned both good and bad

·
Registered
Wilson Sentinel compact, Ed Brown Kc9, Nighthawk T4
292 Posts
hi, as the title says.

if you ever HAD a Kimber 1911, what model did you have, and was it a good 1911...and do you still have it??

if you got rid of a Kimber you had, why did you do it??

what are known issues with Kimber, like build quality, feed issues, ejection issues, parts breaking prematurely?

that's about all i have to ask for now.

i do not currently own a Kimber, but on "some" websites i am a member of, some guys talk good, some guys talk bad about the brand

thanks in advance, to all that respond, with actual advice, opinions on a Kimber that you had, or still have.

hearsay, well......i'll read it, but honesty first, please.

(and by the way, like someone else asked in another thread, "why are tags needed before posting?" i just had to include some)
I had a Kimber Raptor - wasnt a terrible gun but once I discovered Dan Wesson guns - no more Kimbers they have a lot of MIM parts that is why my friends call them Mimbers . I have seen some FTF with mine but then again my Colt Combat Unit has been at Colt for 3 or 4 months for the same problem. I sold the Kimber to buy a Dan Wesson and never looked back personally I dont like their look and for the money or a little more your into a Dan Wesson . I just feel as though there are better guns on the market at that price range or close to it - Dan Wesson or some of the Springfield Armory options - would in my opinion be a better buy .
for the record I have never seen a mim part fail in the field but I want all my guns to be forged and tool steel parts for the money I am spending why the hell wouldnt they be ?
nighthawk
Wilson
Ed brown
Dan wesson
My preferred 1911s nothing wrong with any other brand just what I happen to like

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I have had two of them that I bought in the late 90's and they will never go anywhere. Mine has north of 10k down range with no issues. My wife's gun probably has 100 down range so who knows if it's a good gun. I attended a Vickers 1911 operators class a few years ago where he discussed the differences between the series 80 FPS and the swartz FPS that Kimber choose to use and based on that I will never have a series II gun.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I have had two of them that I bought in the late 90's and they will never go anywhere. Mine has north of 10k down range with no issues. My wife's gun probably has 100 down range so who knows if it's a good gun. I attended a Vickers 1911 operators class a few years ago where he discussed the differences between the series 80 FPS and the swartz FPS that Kimber choose to use and based on that I will never have a series II gun.
if you would be able to explain what Vickers said, even if you have to paraphrase, then please do so.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I’ve had a few:

I can’t remember what model it was, but it was a government size stainless, nice gun. However wouldn’t cycle for anything properly. Turns out the ejector worked itself loose from the frame. Chalked it up to bad luck, sold it.

Had a Kimber Custom in black, just didn’t do it for me, never even shot it, sold it.

Did have a carry model that worked well. Had the crimson grips on it I believe. That was years ago, believe it was two tone. Didn’t have any issues with it but same thing, just never “loved” it. So it went as well.

I just wish gunstores had colts on the shelves as much as they do kimbers. Everywhere I go you can always find a kimber 1911.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
if you would be able to explain what Vickers said, even if you have to paraphrase, then please do so.
He drew on the white board how the two work and asked the class which they would prefer. The series 80 moves off of the trigger and has more parts than the swartz, so most of us picked swartz. He explained that the 80 was actually preferred because when you're moving the safety with the trigger you will always fully engage it because you pull the trigger until the round fires where as with the swartz moving off of the grip safety the shooter may not apply enough pressure to much the safety out of the way thereby not disengaging it.

81 - 100 of 102 Posts