Hoping to find dad's M1911

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ThatCatPuma, Dec 7, 2018.

1. ThatCatPuma

ThatCatPuma New Member

Dec 7, 2018
    Hi there! I'm looking for some help. I'm hoping to find my dad's M1911 that he carried in the army. Hoping to get it for him, as he has hoped to get a 1911 for years after the army. The big problem here is that I don't know where to look for the serial number of the gun he carried? Where would I look? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. rod442

rod442 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I would guess that this is going to be an impossible task. There probably is no way to know when or IF that particular pistol has survived, and IF it will ever be sold to the public.

I would suggest that he set his sights on getting the same model as what he was issued. And maybe start with the civilian marksmanship program that is selling 1911's.

Knowing when he served could help. Has there ever been a sale of newer 1911's than the one in the CMP program? As they are wwII era guns, the chances or getting to newer ones with only 10K a year authorized to be sold will be low I'd think. So if he served after that, its going to be a long time.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

lots of reading on the program here:

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    FWoo45, ThatCatPuma, gaijin and 3 others like this.

3. ThatCatPuma

ThatCatPuma New Member

Dec 7, 2018
    I would imagine so. Do you know of any records I could possibly search?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4. Old Sea Dragon

Old Sea Dragon Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2018
    They are all WW2 vintage or older. Some services would issue a arms card which you would present at the Armory and they would then give you your weapon. They held your card until you returned it to the Armory. The card had weapon identification on it. If your dad has his old card it might have the info but finding the exact pistol will be impossible. The best you can do is get him one similar, which should still make him very happy. Since many companies made them for WW2 I would start by finding out what brand he carried. Good luck

5. Capthobo

Capthobo NRA Endowment member Supporting Addict

Nov 9, 2016
    Sure hope it wasn’t a Singer!

FWoo45 and Babboonbobo like this.
  6. 7.62Kolectr

7.62Kolectr On guard

Jun 6, 2018
    Your task is an almost impossible one. Unless he was a higher up in the service and there is some sort of paper trail I don't see how you could ever narrow down the exact one he carried?

rod442 likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted