1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a local maker pushing his grips made from dropped elk antlers here in KY (we have plenty of elk - if you're a hunter, it might be worth a trip). I'm interested on peoples' experiences with horn grips? I've never owned any, but have long admired some of the stag and other types. I would have the option of taking my handgun in and trying the grips for fit/feel. Do horn grips hold up? What's their weak points? Reaction to cleaning solvents?

Screw/bushing holes are nicely drilled, edges are round (nothing sharp) and they feel to the hand similar to standard 1911 grips as to the swell and feeling in hand.

Pricing is in the $125-140 range, no more, or less, than many other somewhat exotic grips.

If you have experiences to share, feel free.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I have a local maker pushing his grips made from dropped elk antlers here in KY (we have plenty of elk - if you're a hunter, it might be worth a trip). I'm interested on peoples' experiences with horn grips? I've never owned any, but have long admired some of the stag and other types. I would have the option of taking my handgun in and trying the grips for fit/feel. Do horn grips hold up? What's their weak points? Reaction to cleaning solvents?

Screw/bushing holes are nicely drilled, edges are round (nothing sharp) and they feel to the hand similar to standard 1911 grips as to the swell and feeling in hand.

Pricing is in the $125-140 range, no more, or less, than many other somewhat exotic grips.

I have several sets of stag grips, I like em. They feel good in hand and should last as long as ivory would. If you get some at that price I would be interested in getting a few more sets.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have a set of Grasshorn stags on my Defender. It is always on my side and has been for a couple years. I see no ill effects. I believe they make very handsome stocks.

Gary

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have stag horn grips on a full size Sig TacOp.
Looks great, feels nice too.
Get many compliments.
Trying to remember who I got them from.
But all i can remember it was not a good experience, took forever and when they did come in they did not fit right. I spent a day with a dremmel and files to make it good and the supplier did not give a dang.
But they did turn out nice

·
ex Rent-a-Engineer
369 Posts
Giraffe bone appears tough to obtain. I've found a couple suppliers and only one had a couple slabs. I've been dabbling with making a few grips for myself and want to try some other materials.

·
Registered
833 Posts
He has owed me a set of Giraffe Bone Grips for almost 1 year. (Payed for Dec. 1 2018)
Back in Feb he gave me an update that he was in and out of the Hospital. Since then not a peep or response to any inquiries.
Sorry for your troubles...
That is unfortunate, there is no excuse for lack of communication in my opinion, however it is good to know these things.
99% of my business is based off of word of mouth, from friends etc...
I would advise that anyone interested in that business, read your comment, and make an informed decision.
Thanks for sharing @tarosean

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have several sets of Elk Stag grips, and they've all been very durable and feel good in the hand. You may have to change your bushing depending upon how the craftsman drills the holes.

I use rubber o-rings under the grip (on the bushing) and on the screw shaft. The very thin on-bushing o-rings were found on ETSY.

·
Banned
288 Posts

Any material like wood or bone is porous and somewhat prone to checks and cracks (and sometimes breakage). What you might consider is going to the expense and effort of sourcing material that has been stabilized by impregnating with clear epoxy resin. No shrinkage, warpage, water or solvent damage, etc., and stabilized material can be thinned quite a bit without losing strength.

There's a vast selection of stabilized woods for knife scales on FleaBay--I bet you can find someone to stabilize bone and horn grips, too.

·
Deo Volente
8,130 Posts
Any material like wood or bone is porous and somewhat prone to checks and cracks (and sometimes breakage). What you might consider is going to the expense and effort of sourcing material that has been stabilized by impregnating with clear epoxy resin. No shrinkage, warpage, water or solvent damage, etc., and stabilized material can be thinned quite a bit without losing strength.

There's a vast selection of stabilized woods for knife scales on FleaBay--I bet you can find someone to stabilize bone and horn grips, too.
You should apply some Renaissance Wax to your bone, antler and ivory products!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts