Hornady dies

Discussion in 'Caliber Talk: Ammunition, Reloading, and Shooting ' started by Gress, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Gress

Gress Don't need no education Supporting Addict

Nov 21, 2011
    What you guys think of a HDY New dimension or a custom grade dies? I only have Lee (carbide) experience. How do you compare them with HDY ones?

2. Fire-Medic

Fire-Medic Back At It

Jan 10, 2012
    I have no experience with the HDY dies brother, but I see in the other thread that you have a progressive L-N-L on the way. I my self reload on a 550B, and have enjoyed it. A fellow member of another forum once recommended Redding Dies to me a long time ago, 2yrs+ now, and that is all I have used since trying my first set. Particularly the "Pro Series" dies that are specifically made for progressive machines. They're much easier to adjust and what not that the Dillon dies I previously used, and the just flat out work smoother. I have not used any other brand of dies since my first set of the Pro Series dies. They're not cheap in comparison to most other brands of Dies, but IMHO they're worth every penny. Very easy to use, and made of great quality materials, etc.

I link below to the "ProSeries" dies on said website for you to have a reference of product #'s if you so choose to go this route, as some other retailers improperly mark their Pro Series "Competition" dies as the standard Pro Series dies which I speak of. The "Competition" sets are more expensive and an unjustified expense IMHO for the average guy because I can't see where 1/4's of an inch in accuracy will make a difference for the regular shooter, or the average IDPA guy. Those competition sets are meant for making "match grade accurate" ammo. In my experience both my pistols and the ammunition I make with the standard Pro Series dies, are much more accurate than I will ever be. The "Pro Series" sets are made from Titanium Carbide, but specifically for progressive machines with how the mouth opening of the die is constructed. I cannot speak highly enough about these dies.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=210|216|261|539|551

Just my $0.02
    Gabe

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

3. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
    I have used Hornady dies & Lee dies the only difference in the that I see is price.

4. wichaka

wichaka Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Hornady dies???? I didn't know he was sick! :biggrin1:

Ok, bad joke...but the title hit me that way.

5. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    LOL, never dies!

6. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Thanks Gabe for the link and a mini review on the Redding Dies. I know they are perhaps the best around. Perhaps one day.

7. Gress

Nov 21, 2011
    Combat Commander, are you talking what they call "new dimension" series?

8. carljc72

carljc72 1911's & Gunleather Supporting Addict

Sep 27, 2011
    Used Lee and RCBS for several calibers. Actually preferred the Lee on all calibers but S&W 500. I have not used any others to compare so I just stick with what has worked for me. Good luck.

9. Combat Commander

Combat Commander Custom Kydex

Sep 19, 2011
    Yes, BTW Redding Dies are a little bit better.

What are you reloading for ?

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted