1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would Hornady L-n-L case feeder load cases of .50" diameter? Absence of a case feeder for .50gi cases is slowing me down...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't have the case feeder, so I may not be of any help, but I would think it might work as that case is close to the 45ACP. The Hornady techs might be of some help but I would probably try and talk with someone in their "custom" shop and have them give it a try. I've been advised the 500 S&W doesn't work but with a short case - maybe?

You must have a boat load of cases in order to require a case feeder to keep up with your needs. Maybe get a couple "helpers" to feed the cases and keep the primer tube full while you place the bullet and work the handle.:grin:

In days gone by if you wanted to put out 750 to 900 rounds an hour with the ole Starr Progressive you needed a helper to keep the primer tube, case tube and powder measure topped off, as you placed the bullet, pushed the index lever and worked the handle. Your speed dropped to 600/650 an hour if you had a beer.

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
How would you rate your LNL against a 550 or 650? I've been doing some serious research, and according to the numbers, the LNL is a more accurate machine. Just wondering if that's correct.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I surely don’t have anything against Dillon and I think their 1050 is probably an “improved” Starr but currently the Hornady LnL is a no brainer as to cost, performance and reliability. IMO the Hornady is the equal of the Dillon 650 as to performance and reliability and is cheaper, especially in the long run using 4 or more calibers. I don’t have the case feeder and from what little I’ve read about the case feeders, the Hornady has a ways to go before equaling the Dillon.

IMO, if you’re a high volume shooter then the Dillon 1050 is probably the only game in town for you but for the not so serious competitor or the guy who gets out 3 times a week then the 550/650 or LnL will get the job done in spades.

The “old” LnL went through a few growing pains but has evolved into a very fast, smooth and reliable progressive IMO. I’ve only reloaded for pistol calibers, such as the 45ACP, 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh and 38 Special but I haven’t experienced a single problem to date.

The powder measure throws Vihtavuori powders such as N310, 340 and 350 dead nuts. Bullseye was dead nuts as well. IMR4227 was damn close to dead nuts. As far as being more accurate than a Dillon - can't say, as I haven't compared but I wouldn't think so, as Dillon has a great reputation that was earned.

Your chances of getting a lemon with the Dillon is about the same as getting one with the Hornady. The Dillon has been around a lot longer relative to progressives and might give the new reloader more comfort but Big Red is the real deal too.

·
Never made it to step 12
1,182 Posts
Thanks Joe! I need to link the review I found that covered the Lee Loadmaster, Dillon 650, and the LNL. It was a very thorough test between all three, and the LNL won in almost every category. That pretty much nailed the coffin shut, but I'm always interested in other peoples opinions.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have to add that my LNL has been the nuts from day one. I've called them for retaining springs for the shell plate and they send me 4, no charge. I have the case feeder and it works 99.99%. Every now and then a case will hang up in the window at the front of the feeder, but very little. I've got the bullet feeder but not installed yet as I usually load manually 500 per hour. I keep 5 or 6 tubes filled with primers and just keep going. The bullet feeder is mentioned to increase output by 50%. After an hour or so, I take a breather and then get back with it. I've never had another brand of machine so no comparisons from me but I am very pleased with the LNL. The powder drop is extremely accurate AND consistent in it's measurements. I'll go from Titegroup to 231 and within 5 or so cases the micrometer adjustment has it dialed in and it stays put. The price is great for LNL as I see them at Cabelas often for $375.00 plus dies. I think you'd be very pleased with it. As to .50 caliber, no clue but the case feeder would handle them and the drop tube from the feeder should be wide enough also. If you like, I can measure mine for you and let you know but there is plenty of extra width on the drop tube for a wider case so the .50 should drop fine.

tw

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have loaded on 2 different LNL over the past 9 yrs.

Once familiar with them, they are OK for the money. However, I had to modify the primer seater, so the it'll seat them firmly into the pockets. The case feeder is jamming up quite often, both from the top drop and the feeder slide, which tips the casings.
Never did get the HDY powder measure to work ?
I was surprised with JoeJ positive experience. Is that with the standard powder measure Joe ? Or did you modify it in any way?

However, for the person who just load up app. 1000 to 2000 a month, the value and quality on the LNL is pretty hard to beat. So now I'm "just" using it for other calibers like 44mag. and 45 Colt, which I only load a fraction of compared to 45 ACP, 9mm, 38 spl. etc.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Jess....What's your main press for .45? I'll assume a Dillon..........

tw

·
Registered
497 Posts
@ grainfed,
Do you use the standard HDY micrometer adjustment on your powder measure. The one made out of metal???

·
Registered
497 Posts
@grainfed,
Yes, it's a super 1050 with and without electric drive installed. Saves my shoulder after 25 yrs. of reloadning for competition shooting. And I know this will sound weird....but I actually have great experience with the cheap Lee-1000. I only use my Lee with lead or coated bullets, because there's no seperate crimp station, which I prefere for everything JCT.

·
Registered
676 Posts
@ grainfed,
Do you use the standard HDY micrometer adjustment on your powder measure. The one made out of metal???
Jess....Yes, I use the one it came with. Extremely precise and it has never gone out of adjustment once dialed in. I will say that after I empty a full container of powder, I'll take it apart and clean it with dry lube and always tighten down the knurled locking ring pretty tight. Even after a full pound of powder, if it was dialed in at 5.6 grains, the last drop is 5.6 grains. I must have purchased a good one..........

tw

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was surprised with JoeJ positive experience. Is that with the standard powder measure Joe ? Or did you modify it in any way?
Yes, I have the standard powder measure. I inspected the insert and it looked great, smooth as a babies bottom and I cleaned it up real good and haven't needed to take it apart since. Initially I thought about trying to modify my Culver to work with this press but there's no need, as this drops everything on the money, so far.

I think the earlier versions having the eject wire were the "prototypes" sort of speak and Hornady has since upgraded a little and made them a little smoother overall.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ok so you guys have the original HDY powder rotor made out of metal hmm. Just never could get mine to work. However now I'm inspired to try again.
Do you guys have a sweet spot arond the middle in the hopper, or do you simply just fill it all the way up and run it almost dry ?

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys for sharing your HDY experience. I am an odd ball here, as I use Lee Loadmaster only. After some work done on a case feeder (holes drilled for different lever location and usual improvements for primer system it works well for me for many rounds of .45 and .38/357. However in .50gi, which I just started reloading for less than a year now I am looking for a solution to have a case feeder for the brass and considering switching over to LnL for this reason alone :smile: I do not load high volumes, but perhaps 500 a week or so.

...As to .50 caliber, no clue but the case feeder would handle them and the drop tube from the feeder should be wide enough also. If you like, I can measure mine for you and let you know but there is plenty of extra width on the drop tube for a wider case so the .50 should drop fine.
tw
Thank you Sir for the offer, I'll take it :smile: This would help me a lot as well as other folk. If you can post it here, but also over www.50gi.com in reloading section this would e the best.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ok so you guys have the original HDY powder rotor made out of metal hmm. Just never could get mine to work. However now I'm inspired to try again.
Do you guys have a sweet spot arond the middle in the hopper, or do you simply just fill it all the way up and run it almost dry ?
Jess.......I bought Hornady's tent thingee that goes into the bottom of the powder hopper. It allows the powder to "evenly" distribute around the "tent" and supposedly makes the drops more consistent. It has worked for me for several years. I'll find it and put up a link in the morning. The sweet spot you mention might be to put this metal tent at the bottom and see how she works. My guess is that if one had a 1/2 pound of powder in the hopper, the metal tent allows a few ounces of powder in the bottom at all times and not the entire weight above the micrometer adjustment dropper.

tw

·
Registered
676 Posts
grainfed,
I saw your reloading bench and "the aftermath" over there http://1911enthusiast.com/showthread.php/800-Show-your-reloading-bench
This is one nice set up for sure and the finished work proves it :smile::thumb:
Again............

And again............

One thing I did that really helped the arm atrophy out was to put the nut on the bottom, not where Hornady shows you to put it. This reduces the amount of "throw" back and forth and makes the cycle much shorter......a smaller "radius" if you please.

And this little plastic gizmo keeps the brass from bouncing around and possibly falling off the shuttle and the felt chair pad on the bottom keeps the brass on an even keel when it moves into the shell plate. Before adding this, brass would often be tilted down and hit the spring. This is sold in all Lowes and Home Depot stores and comes in all kinds of sizes and shapes. Just take the V-block off and cut a piece to fit the bottom. It has adhesive on it.....peel and stick. Once I added it, no more tilted brass. They all slide onto the plate with ease.

I love nickel cases..............

One more thing I added was the wooden round top to my Harbor Freight huge tumbler. Found it at Home Depot and just drilled a hole in the dead center. The added weight over the stock plastic top makes for one quiet machine. It can tumble 500 cases or more easily in several hours.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Gress.........I'll measure the I.D. of the tube in the am with the calipers and post it up for ya'................

tw

·
Don't need no education
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
grainfed,
Is this stepladder you have to go up to reach the case feeder wheel? :lol:
Seriously, thanks for the pics and tips. What a reloader habitat! :thumb: Makes me wanting a HDY :smile:

·
Registered
676 Posts
grainfed,
Is this stepladder you have to go up to reach the case feeder wheel? :lol:
Seriously, thanks for the pics and tips. What a reloader habitat! :thumb: Makes me wanting a HDY :smile:
Have a heart, Gress. I'm only 4 feet tall with work boots on! :animlol::animlol:

:tongueout:

tw

1 - 20 of 25 Posts