Hornady One Shot Cleaner on Nighthawk Nitride

Discussion in 'General 1911 talk' started by Sparx, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
  2. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017

3. stlgecko

stlgecko Gecko Lives Matter

May 24, 2014
    Risky, not worth the risk.

4. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Also, I suppose this would apply to the Guncrafter melonite finished pistols.
    sparx

5. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I sure don't want to use WD40, and I have read not so good reviews on Gibbs for protection, but I do live in AZ so little humidity here.

6. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    Let’s put it this way, I messed up the finish years ago with the aerosol can version of Gibbs. Gibbs is NH’s recommended product. I won’t use anything that comes out of an aerosol can on my guns again. It baffled NH and the owner of Gibbs whom I contacted directly.

7. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    Right.

8. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    I have a Nighthawk with DLC and they suggested (as in only use this) this

unnamed.jpg

duketbrd88 likes this.
  9. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    That's not good to hear.
    I inquired about having the gun redone in chrome, but Nighthawk says that is not possible once nitride is on it. I hope someone likes this nitride stuff, not me.
    sparx

10. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    You could have it DLC coated and it would allow you to use a wider range of cleaning products. I recommend you get some patches, q-tips and FP-10 and you’ll be golden with nitride. You don’t need bore cleaners or anything, just FP-10.

11. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I have FP10. SO DLC can be applied over metal that had nitride on it?
    sparx

12. stlgecko

May 24, 2014
    100% yes

13. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    I emailed DW when I got my V-Bob and they couldn't tell me one way or the other.

14. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Well, that is one option, and what I have seen of DLC, I do like.
    I assume Nighthawk does this?

Hey, thanks for all the input people, I appreciate it.
    sparx

15. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    This seems to come up on a fairly regular basis. Our official stance is, WD40.

With that said, I don't remember the last time I had to clean the exterior of any of my guns. In fact, it has been a long time since I have even used bore solvent for cleaning a barrel.

Most of my gun cleaning happens at the safe area of a match. It involves a plastic brush, a bore snake, and a bottle of Mpro. If I'm feeling real wild, I'll clean my guns at home and throw in paper towels.

In my experience, I have not had to use any chemicals to clean the outside of my guns. Elbow grease and either a paper towel, or microfiber gets the job done.

BigSkyGuy, ZArugby and limbkiller like this.
  16. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    It is difficult for me to clean the interior of my firearms and not get the cleaning agent on the exterior, just saying. I use bench rest 9 on the bore, or sometimes CLP.

To be blunt, I see no need to have a delicate finish on a gun that I shoot, and I shoot all my guns now. All my safe queens except one High Standard vintage pistol, are gone.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying fragile finishes on a gun are not cool for my needs.
    Give me parkerizing!!!
    sparx

xTeleDude likes this.
  17. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I don’s get your point sparx. If you shoot your guns and like the blotchy look of parkerized finish, clean your melonite gun with whatever solution you want and you will have a more durable blotchy finish on your guns. Done deal

18. Sparx

Sparx Active Member

Jun 29, 2017
    My blued Les Baer 9mm 1911 looks blotchy when it is out on the range as well, just the way it is. After it is carefully wiped down the results are an even finish in appearance. Maybe my priorities are on function, vs. cosmetics.

Yeah park is blotchy, my Garands are blotchy I guess.
    Sparx

gun_fan111 likes this.
  19. gun_fan111

gun_fan111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I think there are a couple of threads on the 1911 Forum discussing that dry lube is not a great idea.

Is your issue with wet lube that it evaporates too quickly? One of the advantages of melonite (and NP3 I believe) is that they possess their own lubricity and thus require less added lubrication.

Pretty sure my melonite guns will run without any lubrication at all, but have not tried it yet.

20. DPVY

DPVY Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Anyone can request this finish on their guns from us, so we have you covered!

limbkiller likes this.

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted