Hot Salt Bluing (Black)....

Discussion in 'Revolvers' started by Slapshot, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    1st attempt at re-bluing (black)..
    Before
    36.jpg
    After
    36-5.jpg
    Equipment
    salt.jpg

2. azguy1911

azguy1911 I'm done buying guns, I'm just a bystander now

Oct 22, 2015
    can't complain about that ;)

ImperialBlade likes this.

3. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    It's not perfect but I really wanted to give it a shot. The first round I just bead blasted it and cooked it. It enhanced every flaw it had! :) So I broke out the emery cloth and buffer and put a few hours into it and tried again with better results. I took it to the range yesterday and warmed it up a bit, cleaned it, and then hit it with some cleaner wax. It smoothed out the graininess quite a bit. I think it will only get better.

4. switchback

switchback Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2014
    that looks great, well done

ImperialBlade likes this.
  5. Harleyvato

Harleyvato Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2017
    From my scant knowledge of hot bluing it’s both art and science. Looks great to me!

6. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Thank you it was a fun project and I learned quite a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheCollector likes this.
  7. RazorBurn

RazorBurn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Damn nice job for your first time!

8. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    That is cool! Great job!

9. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Thanks again. Technically it was the second time. The first was just a quick bead blast and bluing. You could really see all the pitting and any type of corrosion that was on the surface. I’d have to say my biggest mistake was trying to use too fine of Emory cloth to begin with. I was worried about rounding things off and fading the stamp markings. For some reason the side -plate came out lighter the first time. I think it may have seen more or less heat in the bath. I put it on the frame the second time and it came out much nicer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. DukeSoprano

DukeSoprano Supporting Addict Supporting Addict

Jan 17, 2013
    well feel free to add a step by step.......with lots of pics!

Harleyvato likes this.
  11. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Looks good, especially for your first time!

12. july19

july19 Womb? Weary? He rests. He has travelled. Supporting Addict

Sep 16, 2013
    I call that a good job.

13. Slapshot

Sep 6, 2017
    Well I always start out with that intention but once I get going I never take the time to snap the pics. The biggest thing is the prep. I spent a lot of time with a 220 grit shop roll and focused on the areas that were really pitted. I used stones, pencils, dowels, etc.. to wrap the abrasive cloth around to get in the areas that needed the most attention and to stay off of the stampings. I bought a cheap buffer from HF and some 220 and 320 buffing compound to blend everything. It seemed to me that the finer polish actually made the flaws stand out more so I ended up using the 220 grit. Once it seemed pretty even I hit it in the bead blaster. I bought a cheap deep fryer (ceramic coated) and brought the salts to a boil. I put everything in an ultra-sonic cleaner for de-greasing. I had a slop sink with a 5 gallon bucket right next to the cooker with running water to rinse the parts. I used rebar tie black wire de-greased to hang the parts. Cleaner - water - soup for 30 minutes - back into the running water - water displacing oil - done. You have to be very careful and read as much as you can because the salts are no joke. You have to make sure there's no aluminum or zinc introduced to the salts or you'll have problems. PPE is a must - gloves, face shield, respirator, etc.. Do it outside if you can. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do the best I can to answer them.

DukeSoprano, xerts1191 and Harleyvato like this.
  14. Steve Kind

Steve Kind New Member

Dec 25, 2017
    Looks great.......Especially for your 1st time......congrats!

You need 3 posts to add links to your posts! This is used to prevent spam.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted