1911 Firearm Addicts banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's normal to talk to your gun, right?
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only 1911 pistol I own that has an ambi safety is a Springfield and it is the type that rides under the right side grip panel. I've never really been a fan of it and always thought that it's creating an unnecessary weak link in the design of the pistol.

I've noticed that on pretty much every Wilson Supergrade that I've seen offered for sale that they include this bullet proof style of ambi safety that rides on the hammer pin instead and looks more like the left side safety. I figure it must be outstanding if they include it on their Supergrade model by default.

Do they install some kind of extended hammer pin to accomplish this? How hard is it to convert it back to single side safety and what parts would be needed?

What is everyone's experience with the reliability of these ambi safeties?

Thanks,
FC

·
Crabby Old Gunsmith
1,413 Posts
They're like The Great Gatsby...they're uhhhh Great! If you want to switch back to a single side safety all you need is a standard hammer pin. Although, you could use the extended one that comes with the ambi too. It'd just be a bit weird lookin'.

In addition to the weak side being held by the hammer pin, the shaft of the thumb safety is halved through the length giving each side full contact and involvement with the grip safety holding duties. They dovetail together at both ends. It's a pretty cool design.

·
It's normal to talk to your gun, right?
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're like The Great Gatsby...they're uhhhh Great! If you want to switch back to a single side safety all you need is a standard hammer pin. Although, you could use the extended one that comes with the ambi too. It'd just be a bit weird lookin'.

In addition to the weak side being held by the hammer pin, the shaft of the thumb safety is halved through the length giving each side full contact and involvement with the grip safety holding duties. They dovetail together at both ends. It's a pretty cool design.

Thanks for the response! I'm really curious how this differs from the ambi I have on my Springfield. I think that one is held together in the middle somehow.

Anyone have any photos handy of the internals of this safety?

Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wilson Combat, EGW, Ed Brown and Fusion make some excellent ambidextrous safeties. I am referring to the ones utilizing the extended hammer pin to secure the right side. Fusion uses an extended sear pin to secure the right side lever.

I have installed one or more of each. All required fitting to ensure proper function. Personally, I like them, but I think an ambi safety is just a matter of preference unless you’re a leftie, then it’s a matter of necessity. To return to single side all you would have to do is re-install the one you removed, as it should already be fitted to the hammer. I’m not a gunsmith but all ambi safeties I have seen function with one side being slotted and the mating side being a fitted blade joining in the middle.

When carrying concealed (constantly) I use IWB holsters. I tend to bump into and brush by too close to things so on a number of occasions I have found the thumb safety to be in the off position. I just make it a habit to check the position of the safety every now and then. The holster I’m using now (IWB) made by Ryan Grizzle is very form fitted to the gun and the safety lever fits inside a recess in the holster so I haven’t found it in the off position of late.

·
Edge of Glory
228 Posts
The only 1911 pistol I own that has an ambi safety is a Springfield and it is the type that rides under the right side grip panel. I've never really been a fan of it and always thought that it's creating an unnecessary weak link in the design of the pistol.
I'm on board with your thinking here FC. I have an (un-named 1911....LOL) with the exact same ambi-style safety you have described and last Friday finally ordered a Wilson BP single sided safety for replacement. Good-bye ambi safety and good-bye ambi grips!

Along for the ride to see what others recommend regarding your questions.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
If you shoot lefthanded for duty or action competition, you need SOMETHING better.
A ham handed southpaw of my acquaintance wore out two Swenson styles. I put him on to the King, which was the first I saw to use T-slot/hammer pin retention. It lasted longer but he eventually beat it to death and bought a Glock.
I am sure the Wilson and EGW are better built.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.