1911 Firearm Addicts banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I have a part in my XSE Commander that has never been as smooth or nice as I’d like it to be. I’m talking about the end of the hammer where it contacts the flat area on the back of the slide. I don’t know what that area is called.
I don’t feel any rough spots on either surface. A while back I took some fine Emory paper and polished it and the edge of the hammer until I got it feeling better. So, it doesn’t have any obvious defects or problems that would stand out when you run your finger down it to check. At the very start when I return the slide to battery it feels just a bit sluggish or like there’s a patch of glue that the edge of the hammer has to go over and it causes a “sticky” feeling.

I hope I’m explaining it well enough that you all can understand what I’m trying to explain. can you all tell me what you do to your 1911’s in that area? Is there anything a home tinkerer can do to improve the feel of it?

Thank you all kindly for your time and any help you care to give me.
Larry

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Take pictures to be precise. Upload directly into or on your posts. When you post at the bottom you'll see "upload files". Click on it and choose the pictures you want on the post.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Sounds like you’re talking about your disconnector sliding under your breach face. I’d stop sanding and trying “to smooth things out” without a good understanding of what moves what. You don’t want to take off metal that you actually need.

·
1911 Pistol Smith
9,706 Posts
That sticky feeling is the disconnector contacting the stripper rail, that is totally normal and all the hammer polishing in the world is not going to take that out... Only thing that will remove that is a disco cut, or it can be lessened but, sorry don't want to give any advice there cause it can be over done and cause you some problems..

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Larry, things just feel differently hand cycling the slide. Bet at full speed you don't feel it? The XSE is a nice Colt, smooth it out but shooting. My .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts